SQL server

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Cornfed, Nov 28, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Geeky question for DBa's. Does anyone use MS SQL server or is it all Oracle?

Yes I am bored on Fri morning at work!

2. MS SQL server with a database of either stored, transferred or copied totalling an estimated 70 tb's.

I'm bored too.

3. Me to bored sh**less but what the F*** does all that mean 8O

4. It's a DBa thing. You need to switch off your PC and unscrew the back. Inside look for the motherboard, and you'll see the CPU, usually with a big heatsink and fan attached. It's easy to remove all these, then pull out the CPU. You'll find a mini LCD screen underneath, which displays your SQL server gigabyte or terrabyte total. There is a pin hole next to the LCD screen. Insert a paperclip, and the LCD screen then displays the last megabyte of data you accessed. Very cool. If you try this, remember to switch off your PC, as static build up can cause damamge to hardware.

5. 95% of our softwares users in the financial world use Oracle.

6. Have you tried removing the CPU?

And since when did the Sigs use MS SQL Server or Oracle? You both must be ex?

7. Not that bored :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :lol:

8. If you're looking to learn about SQL, be it MY SQL or ORACLE, then you can find books on ebay or amazon.co.uk. Be warned though, ORACLE is not for the faint hearted. Having attended a 5 week intense ORACLE cse for the CORMORANT Project it skull fcuked me. My psychiatrist says I'll eventually recover!!

PS Gunny - you're takin' the piss!!