SPVA on Youtube

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by fingers_1661, Jan 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many members of the Free Polish Army married local girls and settled in the Borders of Scotland at the end of WW2. Their sons, in turn, joined the KOSB - what excellent guys they were, some went on to serve in the SAS. Wonderful people, excellent soldiers, great characters, true Brits and good friends. The Polish 'Borderers' certainly made their mark in the old 25th.

XXV

2. Ah! Kings Own Silly Buggers as my old Da used to call them (having served in that illustrious regiment from '40-'46).

You wouldn't have know Don Trotter would you? Our CSM in Harrogate '68-'70. Absolutely top-class gentleman, especially when he discovered the above about this measly little apprentice tradesman ;-)

GMOB

3. GMOB. I knew Don well in 1KOSB. He ended his service days as RSM School of Infantry.
    Following retirement from the Army he became a Church of England Vicar (!) - and very popular with his parishioners too.
    Sadly Don died about 12 years ago. As you say he was one of life's gentlemen - may he rest in peace.
    Not surprised he took an interest in you once he found out your Pa was a Borderer - you instantly became 'family'.
    Respect to your father - though you missed a brilliant opportunity to follow in his footsteps in God's Own!

Don was very paternal to his Jocks - though he surprised me with a remark he made to his Company while giving them a pre-deployment 'pep talk' - lots of laughter - then he adopted a serious expression and said "Take a good look round - see who's next to you, in front of you, behind you - there'll be some gaps in the ranks when we return." Sadly he was right. The Jocks loved him for a' that.

4. What op was that?

5. One of the many NI tours of the early '70s.

6. Which one?

7. 72-73. Why? Were you there? I may know you.

8. Well I never did! That's amazing - although when I think back through the mists of time you could see that his first concern was always with his "men" (even though we were just boys at the time). Your later comment about his paternalism to his Jocks fits in with that - and his subsequent vocation. Little would he have thought that one of his Harrogate boys would also follow a similar trajectory in his later life ;-) It's amazing how much those years of a service career can prepare you for parish life, even to the language you can employ when the barstewards grind you down!

And rise in glory. Amen to that.

Many's the regret - though I have to say the trade I learned did me in good stead earlier in life :)

There's that prime consideration I was talking about - his men first and foremost and sod the "establishment". It's stood me in good stead for many years - maybe that's where I unconsciously picked it up?

I've many tales about Don. One of my favourites was when as an apprentice tradesman who had almost finished his training and qualified somebody on high decided I was hoccifer material and I should attend the RCB. No way, thought I. But I wasn't listened to and off I was duly sent to Westbury. When asked the question "Why do you want to be an officer?" my reply, "I don't." didn't go down to well. "Then why are you here?" "I was told to come here sir."

On returning to Harrogate I awaited the result of the RCB. Of course I wasn't accepted. Don called me to the office to give me the result. "It's 'cos yer faither speaks wi' a wee bit o' an accent like me, son." he says. "You don't want tae be wan o' thae officers. You be a sarn't major."

Oh the stories I could tell.

Thanks, Buster, that's brought back many happy memories and a realisation of how much Don influenced me through life without ever knowing it.

GMOB

9. Think there was just the one on that tour. CSgt Middlemass in Turf Lodge. RIP.

10. Aye Middy was KIA, wee McM near to the blast was very lucky not to have been too - though you should not forget the other wounded from that tour- some permanently disabled/blinded - not going to name names - if you were there you'll know them.
    Now you've set my mind to thinking f_r....ARE you old and bold? Are you a Borderer? If you are and served in the 60s - 70s - to mid 80s you'll know me! PM me - I look forward to hearing from you.

11. Sorry, I wasnot KOSB, I was an RAOC Staff Clerk at HQNI. All the 'bad news' came across my desk.

12. f_m.
    I'm sure we had some mutual friends in your Corps too. You saw the 'big picture' - they were strange times - though not without humour!
    Best wishes.
    BD