Spurious Customs

A BC appears to have decided that his Battery Officers should now carry blackthorns (having to my knowledge never previously) and has somehow "found" some historical precedent that justifies this (Irish, I would presume).

Does anyone else know of any "spurious" customs invented by BCs/COs?

One of the Batteries in 47 Regt RA does it - or did it anyway - one of my very good chums still has his 'black twig' I believe. I know that he doesn't carry it round with him now - he's gone to a Regiment that has no need of such outre accoutrements! :D

Blackthorns eh?

Wish my bloody BC would let us drink pints of Blackthorn Super Strength Cider all day. We might actually get some work done for once.

Since becoming part of a Yeomanry Regt., we've been given the priviledge of carrying riding crops around with us - very handy when our young females need bringing into line!

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cynical-Subbie said:
A BC appears to have decided that his Battery Officers should now carry blackthorns (having to my knowledge never previously) and has somehow "found" some historical precedent that justifies this (Irish, I would presume).
Darth_Doctrinus said:
One of the Batteries in 47 Regt RA does it - or did it anyway - one of my very good chums still has his 'black twig' I believe.
Answers your question then...

Are the officers of any batteries now having to wear No 4 socks on the pretext that they commemorate some battle or other?

I believe it is traditional for officers in the Kings Regiment to carry the receipt for any item of electrical equipment they may have on them, as a proof of purchase not theft and also to carry a purse of money equivalent to a groat. This was the bail for a platoon of Kingsmen at the time they were formed...

hackle said:
Are the officers of any batteries now having to wear No 4 socks on the pretext that they commemorate some battle or other?
That sounds like a plan to me!

Harry Paget Flashman said:
hackle said:
Perhaps someone better warn 26 Regt about this.

I had the honour of serving on their strength (in the present century), so they may have a closer connection with ARRSE than they would care to admit. I apologise.

hackle said:
I remember that battle - it was bravely fought in the forums over a period of some week's I believe. As the sun set on the killing fields only the largest of the men survived. Hence goatbag has a couple of 4T's worth of size 4-7s still in stock.

But selling quickly so get your order in while you still can.

hackle said:
Harry Paget Flashman said:
hackle said:
Perhaps someone better warn 26 Regt about this.

I had the honour of serving on their strength (in the present century), so they may have a closer connection with ARRSE than they would care to admit. I apologise.
Pray tell my friend as so did I!

I trust that the ARRSE bow tie and socks can be officially worn with dessie camouflage? Around 100 years ago I was given an ARRC tie as a leaving present, the version with the green frogs, and my colleagues unanimously agreed that it went very well with the then fairly new CS95.

How about a helmet cover in ARRSE No 4 colours?

Well GBTD, I thought a helmet cover in No 4 colours would look non-threatening, without affecting ballistic protection.

If you ever have a Swiss officer in your multinational patrol approaching a local forces checkpoint, the trick is to tell him to let down the side flaps of his hat to look non-threatening, Deputy Dawg stylee...

Result, everybody in the vehicle laughs and you DO look non-threatening. Then slaughter all personnel in the checkpoint as they compliantly wave you past.