Spurious Customs

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Cynical-Subbie, Aug 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A BC appears to have decided that his Battery Officers should now carry blackthorns (having to my knowledge never previously) and has somehow "found" some historical precedent that justifies this (Irish, I would presume).

Does anyone else know of any "spurious" customs invented by BCs/COs?
  2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

There was rumours about the gloucesters forming a morris dancing troop in berlin in the early 80s....no idea if it is true.
  3. One of the Batteries in 47 Regt RA does it - or did it anyway - one of my very good chums still has his 'black twig' I believe. I know that he doesn't carry it round with him now - he's gone to a Regiment that has no need of such outre accoutrements! :D
  4. Blackthorns eh?

Wish my bloody BC would let us drink pints of Blackthorn Super Strength Cider all day. We might actually get some work done for once.
  5. Since becoming part of a Yeomanry Regt., we've been given the priviledge of carrying riding crops around with us - very handy when our young females need bringing into line!
  6. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Answers your question then...
  7. Thought that was 24 (Irish) Bty??
  8. Are the officers of any batteries now having to wear No 4 socks on the pretext that they commemorate some battle or other?
  9. That is the right answer!!!!!!!!

I will do it tomorrow and post photos soon!!!!!!!
  10. I believe it is traditional for officers in the Kings Regiment to carry the receipt for any item of electrical equipment they may have on them, as a proof of purchase not theft and also to carry a purse of money equivalent to a groat. This was the bail for a platoon of Kingsmen at the time they were formed...
  11. That sounds like a plan to me!
  12. Perhaps someone better warn 26 Regt about this.

I had the honour of serving on their strength (in the present century), so they may have a closer connection with ARRSE than they would care to admit. I apologise.
  13. I remember that battle - it was bravely fought in the forums over a period of some week's I believe. As the sun set on the killing fields only the largest of the men survived. Hence goatbag has a couple of 4T's worth of size 4-7s still in stock.

But selling quickly so get your order in while you still can.
  14. Pray tell my friend as so did I!
  15. I trust that the ARRSE bow tie and socks can be officially worn with dessie camouflage? Around 100 years ago I was given an ARRC tie as a leaving present, the version with the green frogs, and my colleagues unanimously agreed that it went very well with the then fairly new CS95.

How about a helmet cover in ARRSE No 4 colours?