SPUD GUNS

Does anyone know the law as regards home made potato cannons (PVC Pipes/butane gas charge), only thing I can find is about pneumatic (compressed air) 3 lbs/ft is apparently section 1! Any info would be helpful else I get my collar felt trying to impress the chicks!

Pull up a sandbag ... this reminds me of being on Telic 6. Some Danish fellow Sappers drove past our compound just as we were firing potatoes out of a homemade cannon made out of metal tubing and using 'White Death' and petrol as propellant. They were laughing their heads off watching us lighting this thing and all doing a runner whilst leaving the firer to take the resulting explosion. That was until we aimed the next shot at them and watched a potato hurtle towards them. The very next day they returned with a similiar device - but theirs was double barrelled!! From then on we used to have drive-bys on each others compound firing food stuffs at each other.

You are in a technically dodgy area here...

Firstly, a gas gun where the propellent is ignited is not pneumatic! It is a firearm.. the fact that the propellent is in gas form makes no difference. I can find no provision in law that would exempt this type of weapon from the firearms acts, regardless of the lethality or otherwise of the projectile.

As we are looking at a smoothbore weapon, provided the bore is less than 2" and the barrel length is more than 24" you could class it as a shotgun, however given normal tennis ball bore, barrel length and projectile, it would probably be considered a Sect 1 firearm. It could also be considered Sect 5 for bore size, although that's possibly a bit harsh..

The penalities for possession of an unlicenced Sect 1 are seriously unfunny..

Rule 1 applies!

I have no knowledge whatsoever of a cardboard tube and a beeer can covered in a whole roll of Black Nasty being used to direct panda pop bottles around BLMF from Springfield Lines which may or may not have resulted in members of the Guard being crashed out to investigate.

Shiny

You are in a technically dodgy area here...

Firstly, a gas gun where the propellent is ignited is not pneumatic! It is a firearm.. the fact that the propellent is in gas form makes no difference. I can find no provision in law that would exempt this type of weapon from the firearms acts, regardless of the lethality or otherwise of the projectile.

As we are looking at a smoothbore weapon, provided the bore is less than 2" and the barrel length is more than 24" you could class it as a shotgun, however given normal tennis ball bore, barrel length and projectile, it would probably be considered a Sect 1 firearm. It could also be considered Sect 5 for bore size, although that's possibly a bit harsh..

The penalities for possession of an unlicenced Sect 1 are seriously unfunny..

Rule 1 applies!
Bugger, the errrr plumbing job I may have been working on might have to go in the bin.

The old man once showed me a trick he had learned in the forces.

He took a large old key that had a hollow opening in the barrel, and cut the heads off a load of matches, pushing them down into the barrel. He then inserted a small ball bearing, and held a cigarette lighter under the barrel.

The result was a neat hole in the kitchen door and a furious mother.

The old man once showed me a trick he had learned in the forces.

He took a large old key that had a hollow opening in the barrel, and cut the heads off a load of matches, pushing them down into the barrel. He then inserted a small ball bearing, and held a cigarette lighter under the barrel.

The result was a neat hole in the kitchen door and a furious mother.
I once had a small desktop replica brass cannon that I did something similar with to impress my pre-teen sons, the missile lodged in a tree trunk about 20 yards away, so potentially lethal.

I wasn't the only person who played with matches when a child then? As well as the usual brass tube device, I booby-trapped a teacher's stick of chalk by hollowing it out with a school-compass, putting some scraped-off match-head material down there, and finishing off with a Swan-Vestas match. Clouds of smoke, and a caning.

I wasn't the only person who played with matches when a child then? As well as the usual brass tube device, I booby-trapped a teacher's stick of chalk by hollowing it out with a school-compass, putting some scraped-off match-head material down there, and finishing off with a Swan-Vestas match. Clouds of smoke, and a caning.
The fascination for things that go bang must be fairly universal among most of the members of this site seeing their career progression on leaving school.
We did a similar thing with the chalk to our chemistry teacher but the thing that really got his interest was when one of the lads got some crystals and soaked them in a fairly common liquid (actual chemicals not quoted for obvious reasons as it makes a dangerous and very unstable explosive) and painted the sludge onto light switches all over the school. Huge amusement among the pupils when a teacher touched one and caused a sharp crack followed by a yellow stained finger.
The whole class was put into detention for that accompanied by a very stern lecture about the dangers to the perpetrator from the residue.

Ah Yes...THAT compound - and usually accompanied by a puff of purple smoke perchance.....?

Mwhahaha!

Oh and this one is really good. On amazon for about £7

The Art of the Catapult: Build Greek Ballistae, Roman Onagers, English Trebuchets and More Ancient Artillery
Fcuking about with a spud gun.

Get a load of this - ALLAH U AKBAR

Ah Yes...THAT compound - and usually accompanied by a puff of purple smoke perchance.....?

Mwhahaha!
That's the one and normally a yellow stained finger akin to a bad nicotine stain on the digit touching it!

Yes, what a silly question! :)
Quite - I had this sort of impasse with the mrs once when I needed a remote controlled aeroplane.

Ammonia triiodide.

One of the constituent parts is quite difficult to get hold of these days.
Close... it's proper name is Nitrogen triiodide NI3.. endless phunn!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Grouchy Cookery 47
Mr_Fingerz The NAAFI Bar 4
Harry_Boomers The NAAFI Bar 10