SPS Detachment Commanders

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by bancomat, Jun 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any particularly strong opinions on whether there really is a proper role within the SPS Detachment for the Dettie? Will the workbook help make the role more valid?

Any (sensible) suggestions about how this role could be improved would be appreciated!

Man up, soldier on!

2. Take your face for a shite. Stop digging you cunt.

3. No there isn't. Most of the ones I see (LE exempt) are basically RAO brew bitches organising AT that will never happen or PDR checks amoungst other irrelevant drivel. Personally, I would like to see Detties start to take a REAL interest in the welfare of the Det members. And I don't mean, "you need this course I've booked you on it" or "I need to inspect your PDR, bring it down here at 1200hrs today."

I mean a genuine interest in his guys. Get to know them, get to know what's making them tick, be their voice to the Heirarchy. A Padre of the Clerks if you will. God knows, the Corps needs one!

4. How about being a manager so the RAO can get on with Golf, Rugby, football and other important stuff.

Ubique

5. The Det Commander in my experience (unless LE) are always about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, I had one who was always away on Adv Trg themselves and sod the guys on the ground. Scrap the Det Comd as a 2Lt and make the post for a WO1 who knows the score and stands up for the guys.

6. Why a WO1?

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Jobs for the boys!

8. Yeah I thought that might be the case! :roll:

9. The study which was carried out in 1993? originally didn't have a Det Cmdr in it as that person was down on paper as another Cpl doing a real job of work. The Det Cmdr only came about as a career progression for the junior officers in the Corps and he/she was given all the shite jobs which the powers-that-be didn't want the RAO doing.

IMHO, I agree with previous mails saying that they don't do the job properly, rather sorting out their own careers and social life before the welfare of the troops. There are good ones when I was serving but generally, a good RAOWO would get the job done better.

:eek:

10. Why not just scrap the AGC and go back to the good old days when each unit had its own clerks that looked after their particular unit. They knew each and every person and you could vet anybody who wished to become a clerk and so you would very rarely get a crap one. The staff jobs should be done by Regimental Clerks to get a taste of the Staff world.

11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Have to agree with you there DS.

I can see some logic of having a WO2 or WO1 in the post. When I first joined and found myself posted to 4RTR The CC was a figure head. Someone you could go to and know you would have his backing.

Nowadays your lucky to find the Det Comd.

12. In the winter months try the local ski slopes and during the summer they could be anywhere as long as it is not at work. Thinking back on it when I first became a clerk in the Engineers we only had a CC and a WO1 who used to work directly with the CO & Adjt, there was also an Asst Adjt who was always a WRAC officer. The pay side of life was run by the RAPC everything ran like clockwork, there was also no decentralisation. I wish I could meet the person who thought it would be a good idea to change how the admin in the Army was carried out. How many people who were clerks before the AGC would go back to the old days.

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Me!!!

14. When male clerks didn't have to wear tights.

15. And the most important aspect of losing the AGC would be that we would no longer have the AGC(RMP) as they are about as much use as an RMP patrol just driving around and visiting MacDonalds, on that subject the other day I was in a MacDonald's and an RMP patrol came in and one asked for a cheese burger without cheese, seems to sum them up. What use is the RMP anyway