Sprog officer being ignored by the troops?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by samain11, Jul 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guido Fawkes blog is reporting that although Cameron has ordered a 3-line whip on Lords reform there is no evidence of the party capo's beating up the rebels. He either didn't mean it and only ordered the whip to placate Cleggy, or the troops no longer fear him or the whips, at least on this matter anyway. How do my fellow arrsers see this developing?
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I don't think the Tory Whips will be working too hard on this one.
  3. Get Jarrod on the whips...hed love that coupled with rothypnol.

Cannot see dave having another seat of power in his tenure tbh weak leader like major was
  4. The Tories had better pray that they never again need to depend on minority support to form a government. The LibDems bent over and grinned as per the coalition agreement, if they don't now that it's their turn not even other politicians will trust them.
  5. The thing is its not a really thought out idea.
    15 year terms a party list huge area so no local connction at all.
    We just get a mini commons completely controlled by the partys:(
    • Like Like x 1
  6. muuuum Whips?
    I think Mellors Ms Whiplash is still working, shall i give her and her Zimmer frame a call?
  7. As I have said before, a 100 % elected House of whatever, no, zero Political appointees and for say six years different time frame to Commons.
    A true second House with equal powers to Commons.
    But No, will never happen.
    Commons want No Rival and MPs want somewhere to retire to and still get Expenses.

Since I retired I have met many ex business folk now retired and the one thing they miss is Expenses, paying out their own pocket is wrong, unheard of.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

any election is political and thats probably what we do not want as it will allways be corruptible, when you look at the increased corruption in politics since they scrapped the old version of the upper house and filled it with the useless and media darlings.

maybe a proportionally elected upper house would work better with rules on prison, fiddling etc..
  9. You think they'll have one last blaze of glory before the party is consigned to the history books?

It's been little more than a curiosity for 90 years now, after this coalition ... Umm... well, nothing really really.
  10. I think people are getting confused about how the Lords is made up, instead of what they want it to DO. If the Lords is not 'fit for purpose' then change it. If it does what we need it to do, don't fiddle with it.

The Lords is a speed limiter. it's an inherently slow, conservative (small 'c') brake. It's main purpose is to stop the clowns in the Commons ramming through imbecile, ideological laws. Bad laws get scrutinised, and sent back to the Commons, marked C-, must try harder...

If it still does that, no problem. If you tamper with that, you take the handbrake out of the vehicle. The main Parties will use their electoral muscle to pack it out with hacks, who you can't get rid of for life. The technocrats, the cross benchers, and other luminaries who actually know their subject will be eased out.

I see nothing at all wrong with a non-democratic, technocratic House made up solely of appointees. I also see nothing wrong with repealing all the idiot reforms that Blair pushed through to end up with the current hybrid hereditary/hack/expert mix. What we shouldn't, under any circumstance, do is go anywhere near a PR system. We can live with the odd eccentric hereditary, but not with a quota of fruitcakes being stuffed into the legislative process just to make up the numbers. Do that, and you take away the 'due diligence' that the Lords provides.
    • Like Like x 1