Sprinting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bobling, Jan 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How can I improve my sprinting? Annoys me that over short distances I can not keep up with peple I know I could murder over endurance distances? Thoughts appreciated.

2. Try running faster. If that doesn't work. Try riding a bike or driving. If you want to play dirty you could nobble the other runners.

Does that help?

3. Take bigger steps,that usually helps,chin up old boy

4. Might be because your genetically prone to developing slow-twitch muscles (good for endurance), rather the fast-twitch (sprint) ones......

The only way to improve would be to concentrate on sprint training / interval training (i.e 2 mins hard, 1 min slow)..... but no doubt your endurance would begin to suffer!

Just look at the how sprinters differ in body shape to marathon runners!!

SR10

5. Do you have particularly short legs? perhaps platform shoes, or even stilts would help.

6. Sprinting is as much about body position and technique rather than pure fitness. Concentrate on your arm movements, leg pick up and stride length are governed by this.

Try and build sprints into your run similar to interval training if you want to improve your overall speed as a part of your overall running.

The most common error is to be to wooden most sprinters are relaxed and has stated above, concentrate on style.

7. I think you'll find that stride-length is something you can't readily alter, since it's ingrained and will invariably revert back in the stress situation of a sprint. Hoewever, stride frequency is a different matter. But this increase in stride frequency has to be accompanied by other measures to ensure that the runner/sprinter doesn't overbalance forward and lose speed.
    What you should try to achieve, essentially, is to keep your centre of gravity low and "run from the hips". This isn't particularly important in distance running, since the speeds attained are not high enough to affect balance.
    Try analysing the different techniques in distance running and sprinting. You'll see that distance runners move their arms much less, and also bob up and down much more, whereas the arm action in sprinting is much more violent to compensate for the very much reduced upper body rotation. You'll also notice that sprinters' heads stay at more or less the same level (height) in relation to the ground. This is because they "squat" slightly into the running style necessary for sprinting. It's a sort of "Groucho Marx" style. It needs practice, but very quickly becomes second nature.
    There is also the point that muscles accustomed to a sustained effort (as in long-distance running) also have to be trained for the explosive and short-term effort required in sprinting. It's very difficult to do both successfully. The only person I can think of offhand who managed it was the Cuban athlete Juantorena, who won Olympic Golds in the 400 and 800 metres way back just after Julius Caesar was made up to full-screw.
    Bobling, PM me if you need any more explanations or training tips for sprinting.
    Best of luck.

MsG

8. You could try devloping the strength in your legs and arms by doing a routine of sprints at about 80% full effort with those wrap around weights that you can buy from any goo dretailer. They will build up your strength and speed as long as you do high intensity and short bursts (ie fast sprints over short distances). Conversely they can also be used to build up stamina and endurance by lowering the intensity and increasing the length of the run.

9. I'd be wary of the wrap-around weights - have heard reports of hyperextension injuries as a result of wearing them.

10. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

8O 8O 8O

I agree entirely with what bugsy said but, good basic form, knee lift and upper body movement will lengthen the stride naturally and increase basic speed. Body position is paramount

The trick is to practice, train and achieve Muscle Memory and a bit of coaching or spotting may help.

It’s all about form; check out the good sprinters in particular the 400M runners

Again good luck
    :D :mrgreen:

11. I think we may be arguing at crossed-purposes here, Percy. The aim is to give Bobling some practical advice, but your post confuses the issue somewhat.
    I was a sprinter for many years myself (100m - 10:04, 200m 22:01), so I do come from the practical side of running. Thus my advice on stride-length is based on actual experience (which you may also have, but it sounded (to me, at least) very theoretical).
    I agree with you that practice will engender a minimal increase in length of stride, but this pales in comparison to the effect of increasing the stride-frequency.
    Case in point: Renate Stecher (former DDR double-Olympic Gold Medallist at Munich in 1972 - 100m and 200m) had a natural stride-length of only 1.4 metres. So with very intensive training, she increased her stride frequency to a phenomenal 10 strides per second and became the first woman in the world to run under 11 seconds over 100 metres.
    I again agree that it's all down to practice and taking advantage of observing the sprint masters in action (Lewis, Johnson, Greene, Bailey et al). And after you've practised to exhaustion and find you have a few minutes to spare - practise some more!

MsG

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  12. Percy_Pigeon

Not worthy Not worthy

I think we are arguing the same point from different angles and as I’m a 11 second man I’m not in your class mind you I was usually carrying an egg

I do stand by my my premise that a normal runner (as was the question) can build a bit more speed using the methods outlined by myself.

The technical advised offered by yourself will improve an athlete already familiar with techniques and technical training drills.

Improvement of the basic technique and body shape, will lead to increasing stride frequency.

Listen to bugsy its good advise

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :? :?

13. With all due respect, Percy, I'd like to take issue with this too!
    If you compare the "body positions" of Pietro Menea (World Record 200 metres 19:72, Olympic Games in Mexico City 1972) and Michael Johnson (World Record 19:32 in 1996 and still standing), you'll see that Menea has a beautiful, forward-flowing, classic style, while Johnson's looks messy, his stride frequency is much higher and he looks as if he's about to fall over backwards at any second. Not particularly pretty to watch, but extremely effective.
    The point is that body position is not really that much of an issue, and in no way as important as you make is seem. It only serves to make people concentrate on it and not on their running. If someone has the basic natural speed, it can be improved.
    A person who has a lot of experience in running, like Bobling obviously has, will have acquired a typical body position anyway and it's pointless and counterproductive to try and alter that at this late stage. It's much better to concentrate on the actual style necessary for sprinting outlined in my earlier post(s).
    Just a thought.

MsG

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  14. Percy_Pigeon

Bugsy.

I still think we are essentially arguing the same point; perhaps, I stress a different priority as my critical point and you use a more technical term.

However, without being on a track and observing and discussing the matter in person it will be difficult to identifying the key differences in our preferences (if indeed there is much actual difference).

I feel it is wrong to clog this thread with our disagreements it will only serve to confuse this matter.

That and I’m away for 2 weeks from tomorrow.