SPR Mk 12 Designated Marksman rifle in the British Army ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by fantassin, Jul 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

This is a recently released picture of on-going Op in Afghanistan.

I read that the HK 417 rifle was being introduced in 3 Cdo Brigade, but what about that ?

The SPR, used by Special Operations Forces of both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy, is a heavily modified light sniper/designated marksman variation of the AR-15/M16 line of infantry weapons, and is chambered for NATO standard 5.56x45mm ammunition.

The SPR concept was originally proposed by Mark Westrom, currently president of ArmaLite, while working at Rock Island Arsenal. The program was an outgrowth of the desire by both US Army and Navy special operations forces for a rifle with greater effective range than an M4 carbine but still shorter in length than a standard issue M16A2/A4. The SPR program appears to have grown out of both the SOPMOD Block II program, and the U.S. Navy SEALs Recon Rifle (a 16" flat-topped M16 carbine).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Mark_12_Mod_X_Special_Purpose_Rifle

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I dont see the point if the L85A2 is as good as advertised, but someone needs to lose a day sack!

3. 2 or so kilos of weight difference. (Mind you - a ropey gas system!!)
    And he'd never lose the daysack - it probably glows in the dark!!

4. I'd put money on that being a Kipling rucksack.

5. I've long thought we should adopt the Tireur d'elite approach.

6. Red daysack, stood round like a lemon. My money is on terp.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No webbing, no weapon, my money is on Journo!

8. That was my first thought - but he ain't a rufty tufty TV cameraman.

9. Journo in full DPM?

Perhaps not.

10. Why not? I usually wear it if I can get it. It's tougher than Colombia strides.

11. Dont Journos have to wear blue helmets and body armour?

12. Depends. Sometimes - but if you are fully embedded then you do not want to give away your blokes' positions by showing off a big blue tit on your swede.

I tend to take green stuff with me and then if I can borrow kit from who ever I'm with then I will. I didn't bother when I was following the Hezbollah around though.

If you are not embedded but instead just lurking around a hostile sector then you want to look as much like 'press' as possible Blue lid and armour with TV in big white letters. Having said that those Israeli wa nkers are likely to take a shot at you anyway (they've killed at least 3 Brit TV crew).

So generally depends on where you are and host unit's preferences.

13. Wasn't the LSW being used for DMR-type roles ?

14. Edited to read, I am a mong who needs to check the difference between LMG and GPMG :silent: