Spr Carl Clowes and Pte Jamie Cooper

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cybertalis, Jul 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do guys feel about Spr Carl Clowes and Pte Jamie Cooper getting screwed over plus the news of the MOD civil servant getting a £202,000.00 payout for straining his back?
    Fury: Jamie Cooper lost a leg fighting but was given only £57,000 compensation. Meanwhile a civil servant received £202,000 for hurting his back. See below

A ministry of Defence civil servant who developed back problems after lifting a printer has been paid an astonishing £202,000 compensation.

In contrast, soldier Jamie Cooper, 19, who lost the use of a leg and a hand in a mortar attack in Basra, has only received a lump sum of £57,000.

The disparity in compensation payouts is the latest indication that troops who risk their lives in wars for Britain are not being treated fairly.

Shadow defence secretary Liam Fox said some payments made to injured veterans were "completely heartless".

Private Cooper, of the Royal Green Jackets, suffered his horrific injuries in Iraq in November 2006, and recently discovered he had received potentially infected blood from poorly-screened American donors in the aftermath.

His father Philip, from Bristol, said he was amazed in the difference in compensation offered to MoD office workers and soldiers.

Mr Cooper said: "It's laughable really, isn't it?

"You've got guys out there on the front line risking their lives and getting horribly wounded and then you've got faceless bureaucrats getting far more for straining their back lifting a printer.

"It's not just about Jamie. There are all those other Tommy Atkins in the same position.

"I'd have said I can't believe it but I can. It doesn't surprise me any more, it really doesn't. I'm just so disillusioned by it all. It is despicable."

The latest MoD report on claim payouts also reveals £217,000 in compensation given to a civil servant who developed depression and chronic fatigue syndrome.

The Daily Mail last year highlighted an RAF typist given £484,000 after developing RSI, in contrast to £152,000 initially given to war hero Ben Parkinson, 23, who lost both legs and suffered numerous other injuries when his patrol was hit by a landmine in Afghanistan.

Read more: Soldier fury as MoD civil servant paid £202,000 compensation for office injury | Mail Online
  2. do one journo!!!!
  3. Why do you want to know?
  4. Once again another example of the system gone wrong, I'm not sure how you justify it.
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

You've cut and paste from The Wail.
    No comment from yourself.
    Suggest you crawl back in the hole from whence you came.
  6. If he is a journo, and he's on here looking for quotes for the paper, give him some. Don't immediatley jump on the anti-journo bandwagon because you've seen the other boys doing it.
  7. Here's some thoughts for you fishermong!
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

If it is he lives on a different planet to me.
  9. how about this for a qoute: "the system sucks but thier's nothing any one here can do about it"

will that do you?
  10. The issue is not that the civil servants/non operational personnel have been overpaid, it is that the soldiers have been underpaid. Said a spokesrandom.
  11. Only cut and pasted because not quite up to speed with my voice activated software, and why do I wish to know , this is because I credit the people on this site with above average intelligence
    Thank you Delta Dog
  12. Suggest you get a spellchecker
  13. Why do you want to know? and

What will you do with your collection of members views?
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Article last updated at 19:35 16 March 2008

So a 2½ year old article counts as current affairs does it?