Spouses wearing of medals

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Quantum Leaper, Aug 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys / Girls,
    My wife was chatting to an american woman in the NAAFI yesterday an she asked how many medals my wfe had. My wife has none as she has never been a serving member of any of the armed forces. The American lady said that she had quite a few and wore then to functions and although she had also never served she was entitled to wear them as her husband was serving. I myself had never heard of anything like this but was wondering whether my wife would be entitled and if so how does she apply for her own medals??

Thanks in advance
  2. this is so unfair. the wives go on about how they want to wear our medals. but when they come home early and catch us wearing their stuff they say its time we have a serious chat.. double standards or what xx
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Unless she has been awarded something like the MBE/OBE in her own right, I think you'll find that she's entitled to a nice round number.

4. To be fair I have never heard my (or anyone elses) wife "go on" about wearing our medals. My wife and I are just wondering if there is an truth in it.
  5. There is a provision for your wife to wear your medals. As your widow, she will be entitled to wear them on the right. As you have probably sussed, there is a minor snag involved with this.
  6. Tell that to this lady.
  7. I expect some wives would happily sort that snag out!!
  8. I do believe that Mrs Schmid is wearing her sadly deceased husbands medals, if this wasnt the case then I doubt she would have worn them.
  9. Oh dear and a little bit of a cringe. As it has been pointed out, a widow may choose to wear the medals of her husband on the right. In honour of him and indicating in some small way her loss.
  10. Mr_Fingerz

I would never say anything to Mrs Schmid about her wearing her late husband's medals. She wears them on the right as is her entitlement.

My comment was made in response to the OP asking what his spouse was entitled to wear. Given that he is (currently) alive, and presuming that his wife has no awards/postnominals in her own right, my answer stands.
  11. The clasp on the NATO Bosnia gong needs sorting out, but that was probably done when the GC was added.
  12. Fair one, I read your answer as a blanket No; my apologies.
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Don't worry about it.
  14. So can wives of American servicemen wear medals??
    or is it all utter toss with the American woman just doing as she wishes??
  15. Mr_Fingerz

Why not ask JJH via PM?