Spotting the symptoms of drug abuse

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sapere_aude, May 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am after a bit of advice which may be of use to all. I would like help in trying to spot the symptoms of drug abuse (i.e. heroin, cocaine,ecstacy and other drugs). I have scoured the internet, which has lots of information but not what im really looking for. What changes of behavior do you expect to see? What physical changes/symptoms should you look for?

I have put this thread in here on advice from the MODs, apologies if it has been done before but I did try the search function.
  2. To Frank?

Cycles of increased energy, restlessness, and inability to sleep (often seen in stimulants)
    Abnormally slow movements, speech or reaction time, confusion and disorientation (often seen in opiates, benzodiazepines and barbiturates)
    Sudden weight loss or weight gain
    Cycles of excessive sleep
    Unexpected changes in clothing, such as constantly wearing long sleeved shirts, to hide scarring at injection sites
    Suspected drug paraphernalia such as unexplained pipes, roach clips or syringes
    For snorted drugs, chronic troubles with sinusitis or nosebleeds
    For smoked drugs, a persistent cough or bronchitis, leading to coughing up excessive mucus or blood.
    Progressive severe dental problems (especially with methamphetamine)
    ......just a few then 8O
  3. Dilated pupils.
  4. In a serious way just follow her career from the beginning to present day in pictures.

5. At the school of signals we had dilated pupils!
  6. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuured speeech and lack of awareness
  7. we had that two!
  8. There are certain people at my unit who I suspect. I'm sorry to be vague but this is ongoing. PERSEC etc..
  9. Why? So you can drug them some more and then bum them you deviant?
  10. So how hard is it to work it out, blood, p1ss or mouth swab sample will give you the answer. :roll:
  11. Look for people having fun
  12. Look for people having fun
  13. have you tried stealing their piss whilst they are distracted at the urinal and testing it yourself?
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

So the full-on junkie then? If you're around anyone doing benzodiazepines and barbiturates, you will know about it. Trust me.

As for wearing long sleeved shirts to hide track marks? I kinda dont think that is what the thread starter is looking for.

OK, junkies aside... how to spot a doper?

1) Uppers (Coke, Meth, Speed) A dry mouth. Look for strings of saliva between the lips / teeth. Talking but not listening. Agitation - watch their hands. Big pupils. Shifty eyes. Sweating too much.

2) Downers (smack, sleepers). They itch and scratch. Slow, relaxed speech. Small pupils - 'pinned'.

3) Halucinagenics (Acid, E's, psylocybin) Like uppers but nutty. Its hard to hide it when you're tripping. May quote Jefferson Airplane or their dead Mother.

4) Blow (hashish, skunk, temple balls). Leave them alone. They are no harm to anybody. Unless they are operating heavy machinery or anything that flies. Unless you are in Columbia, when its OK. Or the RAF, you know?

5) Glue (glue). They stink of glue and talk gibberish.

6) Alcohol (Stella, Laphroig, Guiness, White Lighning) Hey, its legal. Whats your problem?

Hope this helps.
  15. The piss has been taken, so to speak.