Spotter thread time

ugly

LE
Every other board seems to have one so here goes;

Hard to judge without something to use as a scale. 7.62 with 5.56mm bullet inside a sabot, perhaps? Loaded a pile myself but they grouped like a shotty.

ugly

LE
Get close enough and I'll put the box up as well!

is it the wrong calibre bullet wedged into an oversized casing in a real "blue peter stylee" or some kind of sub cal type jobber

Editted to add....I'm taking the michael if you hadn't noticed, I haven't got a scooby doo what it is !!!

Hello ugly,

it looks a lot like a Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP) but it is hard to tell without some idea of scale.

Is it the end result of project ugly or a Remington Accelerator?

tangosix.

can you give a photo or details of the headstamp ?

ugly

LE
Ok its been guessed, now who fancies firing some? Its obviously not handloads so it may even shoot decent groups, its a 55 grain bullet in a sabot collet inside a .308 Remington case. way of having 22-2540 performance without a second rifle although I imagine you would need to alter the sights a fair bit

Hello ugly,

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with these rounds.
Theoretically the sabot round has a much lower moment of inertia than the full bore round so it may need much tighter rifling to get the same stability.
Firing such rounds from barrels intended for full bore projectiles may explain the accuracy problems many users report.
Though I suspect factory rounds may be far better than the hand loads many people have problems with.

tangosix.

ugly

LE
I have a target barrelled P14 action that may be used for this. Its a 1960's rebarrel so its not a S&L or Bl;ack Mountain. I think its no faster than 1 in 10 which has stabilised 220 grain .308 match kings out to 1000 yards but may not really be up to it!
They can sit in the cupboard gathering dust like the 1960s Kynoch Long Range Streamline match ammo I have for .303.

ugly

LE
To circumvent those IT guys who have time on their hands I havent posted these anywhere else yet!

An easy one to get started, extra points for background info.
If you cant get the one below correctly then I'll post more pics

This one isnt what it seems, it needs a little lateral thinking applied

This one is definetly harder and has a very interesting tale;

The revolver is a Colt New Service Revolver 1898-1944 as there wereover 30'000 made it could be any one of about 20 calibers

KRAG-JORGENSEN

MANLICHER Sporting rifle ?

You got me on thr percussion cap

ugly

LE
Yes but bearing in mind I was at the IWM take a stab at the calibre!

455 Webly or 38 british service

ugly

LE
They werent made in 38-200 as expected. They were offered again in 1939 in .455 Webley but we wanted the anaemic 38-200 round so it was dropped.
Production in .455 Webley ran to 1917 when the US Govt forced production to be only 45 ACP with half moon clips. This model (I know its a crap photo!) was an actual Govt purchase and is marked as such. I sometimes miss my old one!