Spotter thread time

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Nov 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Every other board seems to have one so here goes;
    [​IMG]

2. Hard to judge without something to use as a scale. 7.62 with 5.56mm bullet inside a sabot, perhaps? Loaded a pile myself but they grouped like a shotty.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Get close enough and I'll put the box up as well!

4. I know what it is :)

5. is it the wrong calibre bullet wedged into an oversized casing in a real "blue peter stylee" or some kind of sub cal type jobber

Editted to add....I'm taking the michael if you hadn't noticed, I haven't got a scooby doo what it is !!!

6. You probably shot some on Friday, therefore you are disqualified by default.

7. Unfortunatley I didn't :(

8. Hello ugly,

it looks a lot like a Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP) but it is hard to tell without some idea of scale.

Is it the end result of project ugly or a Remington Accelerator?

tangosix.

9. Without a scale shot it's hard to tell but, 308 Accelerator? with a .224 round?

10. can you give a photo or details of the headstamp ?

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

22 accelerator

Do I get a prize :wink:

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok its been guessed, now who fancies firing some? Its obviously not handloads so it may even shoot decent groups, its a 55 grain bullet in a sabot collet inside a .308 Remington case. way of having 22-2540 performance without a second rifle although I imagine you would need to alter the sights a fair bit
    [​IMG]

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't expect much accuracy if its anything like the 30-06 version.... what tube are you thinking of firing it down?

14. Hello ugly,

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with these rounds.
    Theoretically the sabot round has a much lower moment of inertia than the full bore round so it may need much tighter rifling to get the same stability.
    Firing such rounds from barrels intended for full bore projectiles may explain the accuracy problems many users report.
    Though I suspect factory rounds may be far better than the hand loads many people have problems with.

tangosix.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a target barrelled P14 action that may be used for this. Its a 1960's rebarrel so its not a S&L or Bl;ack Mountain. I think its no faster than 1 in 10 which has stabilised 220 grain .308 match kings out to 1000 yards but may not really be up to it!
    They can sit in the cupboard gathering dust like the 1960s Kynoch Long Range Streamline match ammo I have for .303.