Spotter question

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PassingBells, Apr 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the vehicles shown on the BBC website as being UK in Afghanistan?

2. I noticed that. Aren't they the foreign equivelent of what will be known in service as the "panther". Several forces are using them and we've got them on order, though not as replacement for snatch.

Feel free to correct me, couldn't find my spotter binos :p
  3. I don't think so.
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The vehs in the photo look like Panhard scout cars, as used by the Frogs - but they're on ops, so they can't be French.
  5. Oh yeah, I was very VERY wrong... my apologies...

Have just remembered I have seen those vehicles before, there were some sat around on salisbury plain last year. (the ones in bbc photo)
  6. You could be right.

Acording to wiki in use by:
    Cameroon, Djibouti, France, Gabon, Greece, Indonesia, Iran, Kuwait, Mexico, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Portugal, Qatar, Rwanda, Togo

Not UK forces then.
  7. Oddly enough, I saw the same photo today and also wondered what they are. I recognised them as VBLs, French Panhards and was amazed to discover that the French have 1000 troops in Afghanistan as part of the Kabul Multinational Brigade (KMNB) within ISAF 8O.

Edited for stupidity
  8. look vaguely like something out of thunderbirds!
  9. One thing that rattles me about them.... They are french!!!! They,ll have 1 forward gear & 5 reverse !!! Seriously though has,nt this Country of ours got the savvy to make stuff like that ourselves ? IMO its foolhardy to buy so much Military equipment from abroad. If the sh1te really hits the fan big time in the future. We could end up in poo strasse.

Regards LT.