Sports Relief Charity On-Costs.

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by rgjbloke, Mar 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been off work for 2 days with a dodgy stomach. A gift from my grandchildren, the school age one of whom was probably gifted with the bug from her school.

So this morning I'm feeling better and have been watching sports relief charity. It's entertaining and I think the causes are worthwhile. I expect the missus will be phoning up at some stage to chuck a contribution in. She usually does.

What occurred to me though was that while the causes are worthwhile and it is an entertaining watch, there must be some pretty hefty bills to pay to make all this happen. That's something that had me thinking, well, the BBC is a public corporation and it's public money being spent to do all this.

I'm talking about where some woman is sent to the South Pole to ride a bike. To get to the region means flying in Russian aircraft that can land on ice. That isn't cheap to do or what about the two fellah's cycling the length of britain, oh and their entourage complete with flashing orange warning lights etc. Again that costs a pretty packet!

So! Is it all good worthwhile entertainment that the BBC should spend public funds on or are we subsidising a bunch of luvvies to have a party and get some public exposure on our buck? To be fair, I'm not disputing that some incredibly hard work is done by some "stars" to raise the dosh but should there be a different way of funding it?

2. I often wonder is this the BBC's way of ingratiating itself with some of these luvvies and their agents. Indulging them a little and thus giving the BBC a bit of a start when it comes to bookings for mainstream programming.

This, Comic Relief and Brats in Need have all become noticeably slicker, more professionally produced and (sadly) more prolonged in terms of their exposure and durations. The polar challenge for example required a lot of training, kit, logistical planning and support etc.

All of that comes at a cost, borne by all licence payers, I doubt very much that a commercial organisation would be able to justify the business model.

I'm sure its all very worthy but this evening I shall be watching last Sunday's Being Human off the Sky+ box and then attempting to jump Mrs RTC. In deference to her admirable efforts for Sports Relief I may lend a few thoughts to Helen Skelton along the way.

3. Trouble is all the dull ***** in offices etc who want to be wacky for charity too and they expect you to share the Joy.

Doing it with a finger or two,eyes scrunched a bit near the screen, trying to make sure I don't make a mess or mistake in the process.

4. It's quite entertaining, so I would say any costs are fair.

5. Maybe the tv is entertaining (v.rare nowadays) but the dull ***** doing their bit at home/work?

Doing it with a finger or two,eyes scrunched a bit near the screen, trying to make sure I don't make a mess or mistake in the process.

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I expect lots of the kit, etc. for these events will have been donated and possibly some of the flights.

When I worked for a Bank we used to switch part of the callcentre network over to take Comic Relief/Sport Relief/Children in Need calls, and volunteers from all parts of the Bank would man (and woman) the phones through the night.

So costs might be lower than you'd think at first glance, but who can say? You don't see the accounts of these things published, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who's benefited from them. Most of the slebs involved seem to be 'z-listers' desperate to resuscitate their careers. And after 25+ years of Saint Bob's help, is Africa any better? Personally I've become so cynical I've given up on it now, and just support Hols4Heroes, RBL and SSAFA, plus local causes where I live.