Sports Personality of the Year 2006

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by SilsoeSid, Oct 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In my mind, there is no doubt;
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    "Walliams trained for a year for his remarkable Sport Relief Super Swim"

Walliams successfully completed the 21-mile swim across the English Channel to France on Tuesday 4 July.
    The 34-year-old comedian, who entered the water at Shakespeare Beach in Dover, Kent, at 0531 BST on Tuesday, reached France at about 1600 BST.
    He had expected the crossing to take 14 hours, so was "relieved and pleased" to make it in 10 hours and 30 minutes.

It's a sport, he is a personality and he raised over 1 million squids for charity.

10hrs 30 mins....

180 1500m
    4 Marathons
    210 boxing rounds
    7 Football matches
    2.5 Rounds of Golf at a leisurley walking pace.
    Maybe a day and a halfs cricket, as long as it doesn't rain!

But who will really get this award?
    Only real ones in mind are Amir Khan or Zara Phillips.

Team award... Ryder Cup Team....No doubt there.
    Overseas personality....Tiger Woods.

2. Overseas personality - Zinadine Zidane - throbber

3. Thank you, SilsoeSid.
    My knee jerk reaction was "Yes!!!" "David Walliams!!" "Bring it on!!"
    But this award really HAS to go to an enduring member of the sport community. It needs to be someone who will continue a sporting career. If a sportsman were to have a brilliant cameo role in a movie, he wouldn't get an oscar.

David Walliams, being David Walliams, will be able to summon all the accolade he desires (and this is not a critisism). He, I'm sure, would feel very embarrassed to deprive a sports personality of this award.

4. Surely the award is for someone who achieved a greatness in sport during 2006.

Mind you, knowing the PC BBC it will end up being awarded to some Welsh bint who has gained nothing over the years, except pull one victory in 2006. Much along the lines of presentations to Kelly Holmes, Jonathan Edwards or Paula (money bags) Radcliffe. How long did it take to realise Sir Steve for example?
    Awarded the title in 2000, (awarded team title in 1992 with Matthew Pinsent) yet won his first Gold Olympic medal in 1984. Beaten during those years by,

2005 Andrew Flintoff (team member!)
    2004 Kelly Holmes (one off year)
    2003 Jonny Wilkinson (team member!)
    2002 Paula Radcliffe (and?)
    2001 David Beckham (team member!)
    2000 Steve Redgrave
    1999 Lennox Lewis
    1998 Michael Owen (team member!)
    1997 Greg Rusedski (ha ha)
    1996 Damon Hill
    1995 Jonathan Edwards (one off jump!)
    1994 Damon Hill
    1993 Linford Christie (cheat!)
    1992 Nigel Mansell (personality!)
    1991 Liz McColgan
    1990 Paul Gascoigne
    1989 Nick Faldo
    1988 Steve Davis (personality!)
    1987 Fatima Whitbread
    1986 Nigel Mansell (as above)
    1985 Barry McGuigan
    1984 Jayne Torvill &Christopher Dean (is this not a team, like 1992? Redgrave/Pinsent!)

Just for interest,
    The average time for an E/F swim is 12hrs:55mins.
    Considering David (a mere comedian!) completed this in 10hrs:30mins, I would strongly voice that this was indeed no mere publicity stunt and he deserves more recognition for his achievement.

Continue, what like Holmes!!
    Just think if a sportsman was to go into politics and become Prime Minister ....!! Quite a high accolade!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Menzies Campbell representing the UK in the 1964 Olympics

"A successful university athlete, Ming was a finalist in the 200 metres at the 1964 summer Olympics in Tokyo. He was the AAA 220 yards champion in 1964 and 1967, captained the UK Athletics team in 1965 and 1966, and captained the Scotland team at the 1966 British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Kingston, Jamaica. He held, and rebroke, the British 100 metre record from 1967 to 1974."

I don't think David Walliams swimming the channel in a highly respectable time whilst doing good could be considered a cameo role.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Zara Phillips everytime, currently European and World Champion and what has Khan done this year?

It would be a nice touch for her to win, having missed one of her best friend's funeral to compete at the WEG.

David Walliams should definately get an honourary pot though!!

6. I nominate Audley Harrison, for being the most determined man not to commit suicide in the wake of his imploded career. In fact, we should give him the award for every year he manages to stay alive :)