Sports Personality of the Year 2006 - Mid Term Appraisal

Me and the other arf were chatting last night about possible sports personality of the year. After much head scratching we were at a loss as to who has come up with the goods at the mid term. I doubt if it's going to be any of the England footie team members (Gerrard maybe?). What major events are coming up.

Nicole Cooke, winner of the womens Tour De France last week is fantastic but never gets the recognition she deserves.

Any thoughts?

Sports personality.......they have not got a personality these jumped up hasbeens,failure all of them give it a miss this year.

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
stevie gerrard for his fa cup antics?
what about his penalty taking skills?

portugese fitba squad get the vote from us scots :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how about andy "i'll support anyone but the english!" - "oops, massive U-turn and backdown because my agent told me i was stupid to alienate 90% of the tennis fanbase and i am too f*cking stupid to have realised that on my own before opening my big mouth."

courage of his convictions? nah. but he's the best you sweaty socks have got, so i'm happy with gerrard for the mo knocker ;)

A little bit off topic i know but i have just been asked by a septic "Why doesn't scotland have a soccer team".
My new best mate he is.

Main award - I'm torn between Teddy Sheringham (on durability grounds) and David Walliams (of Little Britain for his channel swim).

For overseas award, I nominate Sussex's new cricketing sensation - Yasir Arafat.

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
stevie gerrard for his fa cup antics?
And the fact he was Englands top scorer with a whopping 2 goals :oops: even though he was constantly played out of position, not started, etc, etc, etc. :evil: :evil:
However as usual I am totally biased and only see the world through Anfield tinted spectacles. :D :D
Oh well such is life. :wink:

I guess Kieren Fallon is probably out of the running now (no pun intended).

John McGuiness, Leon Haslam.

No chance of course, because their sport is not 'mainstream' enough. Not even when King Carl Foggy had won his FOURTH world title did he get any recognition. No it went to some arese from liverpool qho scored against Argentine, in a world cup that we didn't win again.

Bitter?

Me?

Howayman said:
John McGuiness, Leon Haslam.

No chance of course, because their sport is not 'mainstream' enough. Not even when King Carl Foggy had won his FOURTH world title did he get any recognition. No it went to some arese from liverpool qho scored against Argentine, in a world cup that we didn't win again.

Bitter?

Me?
That will be the smell of Redshite again. :D :D :D
Guru you must have an awesome nose. I am very far away. :?
I will Never Walk Alone though :wink:

My vote goes to Mick Gualt the commonwealth (ex crab) record medal holder for pistol shooting.

Henry_Tombs said:
My vote goes to Mick Gault the commonwealth (ex crab) record medal holder for pistol shooting.
Greatest number of Commonwealth Medals won by a Briton. Chris Hector's not far behind him, either...

Two stories from the early part of the decade which illustrates the delight of "minority" sports.

1) Young Sports Personality of the year. A 16-year-old shotgunner (Charlotte Kerwood) won an individual Gold medal at the 2002 Commonwealth Games; managed to get enough votes to make the final nominees; and lost out to a 17-year-old who had managed the incredible individual sporting achievement of "playing for a Premiership football team" - one Wayne Rooney, petulant chav-at-large. Football block vote strikes again.

Actually, what really f**ked me off was seeing Beckham as the person handing over the Baton to HM at the opening ceremony of Manchester 2002. Just one of his sponsorship deals would fund a minor sport governing body for a year, football isn't even at the Games, and he refuses to wear anything but his own tracksuit because "his sponsors demand it" (in other words, another firm is sponsoring the England team). Don't get me started on the BBC coverage of shooting in 2002 - nil - which they at least sorted out for 2006.

2) A rather successful Sports Minister (Kate Hoey), gets fired for having the outrageous nerve to suggest that football is a multi-billion pound entertainment business which might just be able to survive without Government handouts to build a new stadium. After all, if you're getting nine-figure sums for TV rights, and paying £40,000 a week to players, demands like "build us a national stadium" should be laughed at.