Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports movies

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
oh, and while I recall, Rollerball (the original, natch) and Death Race 2000.

Watch the Ronnie Peterson documentary on Sky if you like motor racing.
Showed Lauda how to brake with using your left foot to get more speed

Thing was they were in his private car just going for a ride out and he was still looking to get speed and smooth acceleration
Been trying to find a link to the Duckhams documentary filmed about Team Lotus in 1973. It used to be on YouTube but it’s been taken down. The piece shot at Watkins Glen when Jackie Stewart and Ken Tyrell realise that Francois Cevert has died is devastating.

The Damned United - Michael Sheen turning a very decent performance as Brain Clough during and after his 44 days as Leeds Utd's manager

Senna - Albeit a documentary, very watchable

Mike Basset, England Manager - One of the very few watchable films with Ricky Tomlinson

Bend it like Beckham - If only for the appearances of Kiera Knightly

Gregory's Girl - ditto for Clare Grogan

Can't believe Escape to Victory hasn't been mentioned yet

It is fair to say that I am not a gifted team sportsman. The summit of my achievement was playing rugby for SEME third XV as a substitute; my lack of balance, timing and ability to catch a ball have always relegated me to being in the last few to be picked to play, even on the occasions when I was fitter than most. Any athletic achievement has always been a solo effort for me, with some VERY modest success in running and shooting, but it was never a large part of my life as it is for others.

Be that as it may, I've always been a sucker for a good sports movie. I find the ones that really grab me are invariably American as IMHO they just do them better, generally with little cynicism (about the sports), and no Anglo Saxon shame for striving to be the best. There's something almost religious about the portrayal of the importance of working together, and for me they're the ultimate feel good movie. British movies about sport are few and far between, the best of the bunch is probably "Bend It Like Beckham", but even there it's not quite right. "Mike Bassett England Manager" would at least have been funny if only I could have got past that cnut Tomlinson being the star, but in general we Brits don't do good sports movies.

Whilst I enjoy the grittier American efforts such as Moneyball or Any Given Sunday, I'm much more fond of movies like Major League, Bull Durham, The Replacements and more recently Draft Day (Honourable mention for Field of Dreams, although not really about baseball).

In the present mandated Covid seclusion, I have the time and the inclination to indulge myself in some new schmaltzy sports movie candyfloss. What are your recommendations?
Cool Runnings.
close the thread.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Concussion. Will Smith puts in a very credible performance in this NFL docudrama.

syrup

LE
Been trying to find a link to the Duckhams documentary filmed about Team Lotus in 1973. It used to be on YouTube but it’s been taken down. The piece shot at Watkins Glen when Jackie Stewart and Ken Tyrell realise that Francois Cevert has died is devastating.

There is footage of that incident on the Peterson documentary.
Colin Chapman wanders past muttering "it's Cevert bloody hell"

oh, and while I recall, Rollerball (the original, natch) and Death Race 2000.

Without Rolllerball, there would have never been the classic computer game "Speedball"

Brutal Deluxe for the win!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I mentioned the cheerleaders in The Replacements - here from 0.51 onwards...

I mentioned the cheerleaders in The Replacements - here from 0.51 onwards...

I'm not really interested in American Football, but that film seems erm interesting

garner wore chris amon's colours on his helmet. ISTR one of the other main characters using jackie stewarts colours.
If you watch carefully you will see the Yves Montand character change from John Surtees helmet colours to those of Mike Parkes who stepped in after Surtees walked out of Ferrari.

Latest Threads