Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports movies

Fight Club, well it contains boxing even if that isn't really the point

More a great film that technically contains sport than a film about sports

But then I always preferred to be present and involved, rather than a spectator at sports

True Blue [1997. Rereleased as Miracle at Oxford in 2004]​

Starring Dominic West and Josh Lucas. At the 1986 Boat Race, Oxford suffered it’s first defeat by Cambridge in 11 years. Angry at the outcome, American Oxford oarsman Rick Ross imports all of his mates from the US National squad into Oxford as post-graduates so they can help redeem the Oxford program.

A power struggle over training methods and crew selection leads to a bitter clash between the American oarsmen and the Scottish president of the Oxford Dark Blues, Donald MacDonald. The Americans are so irate that they pull out just six weeks before the race, leaving Oxford’s coach to mould an inexperienced crew into a winning team.

RedDinger

Old-Salt
When Saturday Comes: A hard drinking northern monkey trying to make it as a professional footballer.

When Saturday Comes: A hard drinking northern monkey trying to make it as a professional footballer.

This Sporting Life - Richard Harris in a similar story but with a rugby theme.

The Brighton Miracle, is the tale of Japan's build up to the 2015 Rugby World Cup and their epic win against the Springboks.

It's a bit of a docudrama interspersed with interviews of Japan Coach Eddie Jones amongst other notables, and pretty compulsive viewing too.

Another personal favourite is Living With Lions, an access all areas look at the 1997 British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa.

A brilliant sequence is the pre test match speech to the forwards by Jim Telfer - it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I watch it.

There's a YouTube video which was a parody of the speech to promote the 2013 Lions tour to Australia - an absolute must see when you've caught the original.

tiger stacker

On ROPS
On ROPs
SeaBiscuit, technically the life of a horse, yet it has some really good moments that explain why horse racing is so very fascinating

If you have to watch just one film then it has to be

A Sunday in Hell

If you haven't seen this then watch
Pantani the accidental death of a cyclist

Billy Crystals film about Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle trying to break Babe Ruth's 60 home runs in a season record.
''42'' was awesome, incredible acting by all the Stars in it

Le Mans - Steve McQueen at his coolest. Way better than Ford v Ferrari

Ferrari, Race to Immortality- documentary

Grand Prix - if only to spot the real 60s F1 drivers

Rush - Hunt v Lauda

If you don’t like motor racing, tough!

Little Fauss and Big Halsy
Robert Redford and Michael Pollard on the 70s American Motorcycle Assoc scene along with..
On Any Sunday
Endless Summer
both for ambient nostalgia.
Slapshot,
Kingpin,
Caddyshack.
Silver Dream Racer with David Essex which along with his other films I think considerably underrated.

syrup

LE

Rush - Hunt v Lauda

Watch the Ronnie Peterson documentary on Sky if you like motor racing.
Showed Lauda how to brake with using your left foot to get more speed

Thing was they were in his private car just going for a ride out and he was still looking to get speed and smooth acceleration

Rush - Hunt v Lauda

Great casting for the other drivers.
If you were a fan back then, you'd recognise Jody, Andretti etc in the 'pre race' meeting scenes.

This Sporting Life - Richard Harris in a similar story but with a rugby theme.
On the kitchen sink/angry young men drama theme, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Umm, nope.
As we are on Sports Movies, let me remind you of Escape to Victory...
Thread drift: I would offer for the Defence of Stallone's acting skills the truly excellent Copland, where Stallone held his own in a cast which included Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, and Harvey Keitel.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Great casting for the other drivers.
If you were a fan back then, you'd recognise Jody, Andretti etc in the 'pre race' meeting scenes.

garner wore chris amon's colours on his helmet. ISTR one of the other main characters using jackie stewarts colours.

Have we had "Children of Glory" yet? The story of the "grudge match" in water polo between the Hungarians and the Soviet Union at the Melbourne Olympics, whilst the 1956 revolution was kicking off in Budapest. It's not something I would have known a lot about (the water polo bit, anyway) except my mother is Hungarian, and a couple of distant relatives were killed during aforementioned revolution, so when they made this film I heard about it every week for a year or two.

Still, sports and armed (and failed) revolution, a good combination ...

Latest Threads