Sports Jackets!

Hello,

Another newbie here, asking about Sports coats for Officers. What colours/styles/materials are appropriate? Some look like they've just stepped off of a retro-70's dancefloor, while other look like something your Grandad would wear. So any advice would be nice!

Thanks

A garish check one with leather patches, preferably worn with an orange shirt and purple kipper tie! ;)

I'd recommend Slater Menswear (located in most city centres) where you have rows upon rows of jackets in different colours and styles. The shop will tailor the jacket free of charge if required.

I got a lightweight navy moleskin type jacket a few years ago that could be worn formal and casual. It was less than £100 as well, so affordable on a JO paycheck.

cpunk

LE
tsar_Nikolas said:
Hello,

Another newbie here, asking about Sports coats for Officers. What colours/styles/materials are appropriate? Some look like they've just stepped off of a retro-70's dancefloor, while other look like something your Grandad would wear. So any advice would be nice!

Thanks
If you were joining the RAF, then a 'Michael Fish, circa 1974' would be fine, but for the Army, something in a moderately restrained tweed should do the job.

tsar_Nikolas said:
Hello,

Thanks

An officer that can't decide what clothes to wear !! that should make for some interesting hasty decisions during conflict.

Attack......no surrender... oh arrse what jacket shall I wear breakfast in the field tomorrow?

I'm sure someone will let you know if you've chosen the wrong style/colour ;)

Personally I cant stand navy sportjackets, especially DB one's, all I can think of is "fat old man at the Lions club".

I have to agree with cpunk, a light tweed (not a herringbone safari suit!) should do, but I think the keyword here is subtlety. Don't get anything that someone is going to turn around and say "C*CK" when they see you wearing it.

.:M-F:.

not herringbone? Do you prefer houndstooth or burns check then?

Now I understand why there was an article in Soldier magazine about getting stylists to advise Officers. Thought it was ridiculous at the time, but all is becoming clear. :)

A shiny grey and white flecked "bird sh!t" pattern jacket with narrow lapels, preferably worn with a black shirt and a white tie, is the garment of choice!

With a mullet.

:twisted:

Well actually one should wear one's father's. Preferably without moth holes and I absolutely agree with leather elbow patches and leather covered cuffs.

Crusty
Colonel

RC...got my post in a twist...see edited ver. (im talking about these mega-vented mega pocket 70's safari lounge suits that seem to be doing the rounds in esquire and the J crew catalogue!

re: the article in soldier mag: that was in the april issue...I pinged it as being full of sh1te after you look at the name of the stylist they consulted with. ALthough I do know what you mean!

My advice- pick up a copy of Esquire and GQ, they are normally au fais with dapper clothing.

Wonderful! Black shirt white tie! Sure it'll go down just lovely

HAHA - I remember my mum getting boden catalogues throught the post!

Johnny, 27, actor, favourite film: bambi, likes: walks on the beach, half naked with a beer in his hand!

(if you've ever seen a boden catalogue you'll know what I mean!)

the.midnight.fox said:
RC...got my post in a twist...see edited ver. (im talking about these mega-vented mega pocket 70's safari lounge suits that seem to be doing the rounds in esquire and the J crew catalogue!

Ah yes, '70s leisure suits. Lounge Lizard Larry would be proud indeed.

( knew a Col who wore one in the mess in late '80s. He claimed they were 'coming back' He'd have never tolerated a JO wearing one though :lol: )

123_1 said:
http://www.boden.co.uk/col.asp?segname=Men&styid=MC030&segid=4&gpname=Trousers&desname=Original+Chinos&gpid=23&gem=]

When I look at these, I am tempted to ask, ‘What more does a man need in life?’ Not even man’s alleged best friend, le chien, is consistently as reliable, hard-working and good-looking as these.
very....KRH on the pull.

never had an interest in bright red trews before....although last year we did have three guys turn up to the mess,1 in red cords, one in green cords (pool table green!) and one in orangey cords...

stoplight drinks allnight!

A sports jacket should be single-breasted, made from pure wool with a silk or (if you're in a Corps :twisted:) acrylic lining.

Colour depends very much upon personal preference, but Navy Blue is considered a bad choice (if you want a Navy Blue jacket, get a blazer). Likewise, anything in a primary colour will mark you out as definitely a subaltern and probably from one of the less "good" cavalry regiments.

Herringbone, houndstooth, Prince of Wales check... all are good. Likewise shades of brown (but not grey) provided it's in a very good material (not, not, not corduroy). If you go for a blander tweed, be doubly sure of the quality or it will "bobble" like a bad fleece.

Whatever you get, get it tailored, not off the rack. Jackets in most shops are built more for the Quartermaster than the Young Officer if you follow my drift, and on the broad-shouldered, fit young men of the modern Army (?) they'll hang like a sack of spuds.

It'll set you back a pretty penny, so if you don't have a private income it's worth making sure you can afford it, but the advantage of a tailored jacket in a traditional style is that you'll still be able to wear it even when the Army has been shot of you and - whilst we shouldn't pretend it's ever going to make you look like you're at the cutting edge of fashion - it should never look less than smart or worse than "classic".

IF