Sports at RMAS

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Louie85, Nov 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I'm due to be trotting off to Sandhurst in May and am trying to work out which sports would be best to play whilst there.

I have always played Rugby but have suffered several injuries over the years including one serious one and have been recommended by my ACA that I give it a rest pre and during RMAS as it is now my career at stake!

I know that Rugby and Boxing carry the most kudos at RMAS but was wondering what else may be on offer and whether I could take up an entirely new sport? I was thinking swimming (lack of impact appeals) and perhaps squash, golf or boxing.

Does anyone have any experience of learning a new sport at RMAS?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

2. Beagling. I'm not sure if they still do it but it used to provide a great excuse for going to the pub on Wednesday afternoons until some clown signed out as 'Beagling SW6'. Our cover was blown and we had to move on to fishing!

3. I was told that the recruitment ratios had changed over the last few years, and we would be more likely to have people who wanted to play football than beagling! Maybe I got it wrong, but I love football!

4. It is worth pointing out that whilst an avid Beagler, I did not see a single Beagle in my whole time at RMAS, but did get a good idea of some of the hostelries outside of the exclusion zone! Of course, there are always serious sports if you place little value in your free time.

5. Stick with rugby, if you're good enough to get in the academy side it'll stand you in good stead, I had a hairline fracture because of rugby whilst there and I didn't get back termed although I only missed one ex, the DS gave me the benefit of the doubt as I was palying for the academy. Swimming's good but it's not really the same. Start with cricket in May unless there's a 7s team. You could hurt yourself Scottish reeling or going for dinner, so just go for it, imo.

6. Well, I'm planning to carry on polo at RMAS (only just taken it up, so I have a year to learn)...but I'm told that it's only available in the summer months.

You're perfectly fine as long as your legs hold out and you can manage to avoid taking a tumble...

7. Does anyone have any info on boxing at Sandhurst? When do you start, how often do you fight, etc.

8. I know i'm getting in front of myself here as i haven't even passed the briefing stage, this monday 8O (he says sat in front of the computer, whilst watching MOTD and revising percentage decreases!). What's the deal with long distance running? Is there an athletics team at RMAS?

9. dingy sailing at hawley lake is for winners. CSgts never came to watch....

10. There's lots of long-distance running and yes there's an athletics team - you get to compete against the Crabs and the Navy and maybe even the French or similar, amongst others.

11. Torres, I'd imagine the last thing you'd want to do on your time off would be long distance running! You do that every day!

12. Maybe, maybe...is there a RMAS darts teams by any chance then?

13. I always found if you wrote in the company sports book "Run on Barossa" you could get your head down in your room for a couple of hours!

On a serious note both boxing and swimming train on both sports afternoons and before work. You will be getting up even earlier than the other OCdts if you do this (but obviously will be fitter and get more kudos too).

The swimming team was pretty good in my day. With boxing there'll be a boxing night once a term IIRC when the whole academy comes to watch. The boxers get taken back to the WO's and Sgt's mess and fed port until the concussion kicks in. Most of the good-lad CSgts won't expect to see the boxers on parade until after lunch the next day!

14. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Does anyone have any idea about skydiving whilst at RMAS?

Edit: More specifically, continuing /progressing in the sport.