Sports at RMAS

Hello all,

I'm due to be trotting off to Sandhurst in May and am trying to work out which sports would be best to play whilst there.

I have always played Rugby but have suffered several injuries over the years including one serious one and have been recommended by my ACA that I give it a rest pre and during RMAS as it is now my career at stake!

I know that Rugby and Boxing carry the most kudos at RMAS but was wondering what else may be on offer and whether I could take up an entirely new sport? I was thinking swimming (lack of impact appeals) and perhaps squash, golf or boxing.

Does anyone have any experience of learning a new sport at RMAS?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Beagling. I'm not sure if they still do it but it used to provide a great excuse for going to the pub on Wednesday afternoons until some clown signed out as 'Beagling SW6'. Our cover was blown and we had to move on to fishing!

I was told that the recruitment ratios had changed over the last few years, and we would be more likely to have people who wanted to play football than beagling! Maybe I got it wrong, but I love football!

It is worth pointing out that whilst an avid Beagler, I did not see a single Beagle in my whole time at RMAS, but did get a good idea of some of the hostelries outside of the exclusion zone! Of course, there are always serious sports if you place little value in your free time.

Stick with rugby, if you're good enough to get in the academy side it'll stand you in good stead, I had a hairline fracture because of rugby whilst there and I didn't get back termed although I only missed one ex, the DS gave me the benefit of the doubt as I was palying for the academy. Swimming's good but it's not really the same. Start with cricket in May unless there's a 7s team. You could hurt yourself Scottish reeling or going for dinner, so just go for it, imo.

Well, I'm planning to carry on polo at RMAS (only just taken it up, so I have a year to learn)...but I'm told that it's only available in the summer months.

You're perfectly fine as long as your legs hold out and you can manage to avoid taking a tumble...

I know i'm getting in front of myself here as i haven't even passed the briefing stage, this monday 8O (he says sat in front of the computer, whilst watching MOTD and revising percentage decreases!). What's the deal with long distance running? Is there an athletics team at RMAS?

i_love_ftorres said:
I know i'm getting in front of myself here as i haven't even passed the briefing stage, this monday 8O (he says sat in front of the computer, whilst watching MOTD and revising percentage decreases!). What's the deal with long distance running? Is there an athletics team at RMAS?
There's lots of long-distance running and yes there's an athletics team - you get to compete against the Crabs and the Navy and maybe even the French or similar, amongst others.

I always found if you wrote in the company sports book "Run on Barossa" you could get your head down in your room for a couple of hours!

On a serious note both boxing and swimming train on both sports afternoons and before work. You will be getting up even earlier than the other OCdts if you do this (but obviously will be fitter and get more kudos too).

The swimming team was pretty good in my day. With boxing there'll be a boxing night once a term IIRC when the whole academy comes to watch. The boxers get taken back to the WO's and Sgt's mess and fed port until the concussion kicks in. Most of the good-lad CSgts won't expect to see the boxers on parade until after lunch the next day!

Mongo

MIA
Kit Reviewer
Does anyone have any idea about skydiving whilst at RMAS?

Edit: More specifically, continuing /progressing in the sport.

broken_man said:
I always found if you wrote in the company sports book "Run on Barossa" you could get your head down in your room for a couple of hours!

On a serious note both boxing and swimming train on both sports afternoons and before work. You will be getting up even earlier than the other OCdts if you do this (but obviously will be fitter and get more kudos too).

The swimming team was pretty good in my day. With boxing there'll be a boxing night once a term IIRC when the whole academy comes to watch. The boxers get taken back to the WO's and Sgt's mess and fed port until the concussion kicks in. Most of the good-lad CSgts won't expect to see the boxers on parade until after lunch the next day!
Who do the boxing team usually fight, apart from the Oxbridge blues squads? Also, is it possible to combine boxing with being on a Sandhurst Cup team?

Just stay clear of the Stables!

giftedamateur said:
dingy sailing at hawley lake is for winners. CSgts never came to watch....
I got my second worst injury at RMAS whilst sailing there. Split my knee open! 8O

Swimming team was great in my day, although you had to get up slightly earlier than everyone else for training you did miss "Breakfast Rollcall".

If you do swim watch out for the RAF Cranwell team, as they take you out the night before the meet to a local pub and of course you overindulge, even though you know you have the 4 x 100n IM at 10 the next morning. They then turn up with a completely different set of swimmers for the actual meet. We still beat them however.

On a serious note do whatever sport you enjoy first and foremost, it is all well and good getting into the Rugby if it gets you noticed, if that is what you want, but enjoying your sport gives you the opportunity to relax on their time not yours, and you will still get noticed if you participate.

In regards to boxing, would any prior ability be a good idea to keep under your hat for a while? Or do the training staff usually just work out who's any good from pad work/sparring?

cpunk

LE
Ian1983 said:
In regards to boxing, would any prior ability be a good idea to keep under your hat for a while? Or do the training staff usually just work out who's any good from pad work/sparring?
It's highly competitive and there's a lot of money riding on the results, so if anyone is good, the people that know are going to keep schtum about it.

I was at Sandhurst in the days of the graduate/non-graduate divide and the big boxing tournament was between New College (non-grads) and Victory College (grads). It was usually a walkover to the non-grads whose boxers, for the most part, were soldiers commissioning through the ranks who had boxed before at regimental level. On this occasion, the easy money was on the middleweight division where OCdt G********, late of 2 Para and Goose Green, was fighting 2Lt S******* who was joining the Royal Artillery and was deemed to have a poncey haircut. There was always the chance of a wildcard result, but this was an absolute stone-cold certainty. Except, what wasn't widely known was that S******* had been boxing at his local club and at school since he was 12 and was fcuking good at it. When the bout was announced there was a murmur through the audience, who were expecting blood. G******** was tall and quite thin with a raw boned look about him, whereas S******* although somewhat stockier, definitely had a slightly wide-eyed public school look.

Anyway, the referee started the fight and G******** came windmilling in, P Company style. S******* neatly avoided this and hit him on the chin with a right uppercut. G******** was rocked back by this but gamely swung his shoulders back for more windmilling, at which point a straight right from S******* knocked him off his feet. I had been dicked as one of the ring stewards, standing in my ginger marching suit with a bucket to mop up blood and grolly, so I got a clear view of G********'s eyes rolling back in his head as he went down. When his head hit the canvas, it bounced up again about 6 inches, and he was absolutely spark out for a good couple of minutes. The Victory College boxing trainers made a fcuking fortune out of that one.

So, to keep in with the boxing staff, keep quiet about it.

Latest Threads