Sporting commitments and UOTC

Hi all,

I recently passed Main Board and my candidate support manager has recommended applying for an undergrad bursary for my final two years at university based on my report.

However I also have a scholarship to play football at uni which has a large commitment especially wednesdays and saturdays.

Common sense suggests that there is only the chance to do one of these as I am sure UOTC is in itself a large commitment.

Does anyone with a greater appreciation of UOTC know how it works in regards to days and schedules. Is it for example every weekend on both saturday and sunday or every wednesday?

Also if it is only possible to do one, what would people with Sandhurst experience recommend. Obviously the UOTC will give me a much better grounding in military skills which my exposure to has been relatively limited. Or should I stick with my football scholarship as it will get me much fitter.

Thanks

Last edited:
OK, I am decades out of date but here is a personal view:

OTC is great (and I loved it) - it will also give you a very useful grounding for RMAS. But the fact that you have passed the Board anyway suggests that someone thinks you are good enough for the Army as it is - and the course is designed for people with no mil background.

If you are serious about the football (and I am guessing that the Army still quite likes this sort of thing) why let it slip when you will have plenty of time in green when the time comes?

Just my 2p worth - but better to listen to those who are less old and fat than me.

That is very valid that I will have plenty of time at Sandhurst to get cold and wet in green. I might as well do it with my shinpads on for the next two years. Money is essentially the same so that is not a factor its just whats more beneficial and also if I could be greedy and juggle the two which looks impossible.

A friend of mine went to Welbeck and talked about getting his bursary through DTUC which allows him to still play sport. He also mentioned that you can get on DTUC without being at Welbeck he believes. Does anyone know what DTUC is and how I can arrange that. I have googled DTUC but so far no info and I will speak to Capita about it but knowing them it could be after I've graduated before I speak to my account manager.

F*&^@ing "Account Manaqger". I dispair!

You will typically do 1 evening a week and roughly 2 weekends in 5 on exercise/training with the potential to do more if you can spare the time, which most do. The balance will all depend on your footy scholarship and how flexible that can be. The 2 don't need to be mutually exclusive, but you won't get the full benefit of OTC if you can't commit to the training. As has already been said, the commissioning course is designed for everyone from greeny-beany ex cadets and OTC through to just walked in off the street from Main Board. If you have been through the OTC chances are the DS will know and expect a bit more of you, but the course is the same no matter what. OTC isn't a golden ticket to success in that regard.

redfibee

Old-Salt
You need to talk to your OTC's CO. It may be possible to have your cake and eat it. Enquire about being an Admin Bursar. You would be on the OTC books, and be able to train and get paid when it suits you. You'd be expected to be playing football at quite a high level though.

Ask - you've got nothing to lose.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You need to talk to your OTC's CO. It may be possible to have your cake and eat it. Enquire about being an Admin Bursar. You would be on the OTC books, and be able to train and get paid when it suits you. You'd be expected to be playing football at quite a high level though.

Ask - you've got nothing to lose.

Agreed. Guys playing university level sport or higher at my uni were able to hold down bursaries by turning up to the occasional Tuesday evening.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

A late addition to this thread: I enjoyed OTC at University and it was a regular Wednesday activity and sometimes Saturdays as well. I played Rugger at College rather than University level (the University was divided into Colleges) and this didn't involve Wednesday commitments and rarely Saturdays, so the clashes were only occasional in my case.

Latest Threads