SPORT- IS IT A PROBLEM?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by carpetsfm7sr94champs, Jun 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I do wonder why some people in management deter soldiers from doing sport at a repersentative level , that is to say , releasing them from work to repersent regiment,Corps etc. Now, i hear the argument ref. soldiers on ex/ops/courses/etc. but this goes really, out to the few that resent the fact of having soldiers as sportsman .Those of you forget one of the main selling points of the British Army is funnily enough sport.
    Remember the Army ethos' espirt de corps ?

P.A. RIP

2. i see where you are coming from,however lets be realistic,blokes being sent back off of operational tours for a week here and week there to represent regiment etc when we are already strapped for man power is utter bulls**t,all well and good for matey boy back in blighty but not for his mucker who has copped his patrols etc

3. sorry never been a problem in any units ive been. Having said that coming back from an op tour for sport !!!

4. Yep, point taken. As a manager surely you would/could identify those that are sportsman and manage them accordingly? e.g How would one cope with a high calibre sportsman i.e Army/combined services standard ? I think in the past and from experience, soldiers/officers can be made to feel a little alienated because of their sporting prowess. I do believe that there is no need at all for this .Why not get behind them, pat them on the back and let them no, that were all proud of him/her ? One person doesn't knock a section , platoon/troop , sqn/coy , bn/regt sideways , surely ?

5. I'v never seen anyone returned from Ops for a sporting comitment. Personaly i will do all i can to release people to play regie/corps sport, sport is one of the few perks we have left - it has the obvious benefits for physical fitness and helps built esprit de corps and regimental pride.

Anyone who has a problem with people being released for sport during the normal working routine, need to consider that sporting opportunities are not exclusively for the talented. Join a club, take something up and start enjoying the benefits of which you are obviously jealous.

Boney

6. Well put boney. From speaking to people that i know there does seem to be a few knobs out there . People born with two left feet etc.(Not that i would mock the afflicted)

7. Why not? Its so funny :wink:

Seriously, i hate whinges for the sake of it. Whinging because you cant be arrsed to join in is pointless. And would make me far more likely to volunteer the individual for the Regimental Cross Country comp.

Boney

8. Yeah im just really wandering how the so called managers work with this particular scenario. Apologys for the relative seriousness genleman & fems.

9. Carpets, while I agree with you in principle the problem usually arises in independant Troops and Squadrons, especially overseas. In a Regiment one person will have little on routine work. But if you have a small section of a particular trade then over time the constant need to cover that soldiers work and duties can bring resentment from within his peer group. Bare in mind that when overseas any soldier who has to return for sport will spend very little time at his unit as they will require 3 days for travel, practise and a match, the other 2 are spent arrange flights for the next practise session or game.

MCM needs to be responsable in where it sends known Corps and Army players, rather than using the attitude of he/shes a Tech so will go here the Corps or the Army need to request that soldier is posted in locality to the Squad they play for i.e Aldershot for footy etc.

As for Regimental sport I agree 100% either the lads/lasses get involved and benefit from getting out of the office/workshops and or they shut up and man the phones!!

10. Well said disco but you never answer your phone!

11. Agree with the points raised by Disco. I have played Regtl level sport in all of my previous units, although have never come back fm Ops/Ex to do so.

I think the Corps is pretty good at putting sportsmen/women where they can do both their trade and sport. However understand the reality of the fact that gladiators are sometimes on the sports pitch more often than in the garages.

Point is that whilst pers who don't play sport see their sporting contempories disappear on a Weds afternoon to play tend to think they are being hard done by, they miss the fact that often Regtl players do not get back to late at night. Additionally trg sessions are almost always after work or during lunchtime, weekends are not ruled out either.

Now I'm not complaining as one of the main reasons for remaining in the Army is the opportunity to play the beautiful game on a regular basis. But pers who don't play would do well to remember the extra-curricular commitments of their sporting counter parts

12. It is not often that i would agree with a YID but he makes a valid point. ive represented the beloved corps over a number of years and still have maintained the happy balance between sport and work comitments. to add another twist ...what gets my back up in particular rugby players who cant make the basic military standard ie pass BCFT and attain green in BPFA but are excellent at the sport of rugby. certainly my CO wont release soldiers matter not at what level for sport sqn right thru to army unless they acheive these BASIC standards. You get fit for sport not play sport to get fit. being big my be all well and good on the rugby pitch but you have to potentially carry this bulk around on operational tours, exercises and in the extreme the battlefield.

13. Top answer HH

Only a fellow Hammer could talk such sense! No doubt the same could be applied to other such sports that require bulk to excel; Tug-of-war, throwing events etc. Athletes through and through but unable to run a mile and a half!

14. I dont post that much but this topic has come up a couple of times at work. Nominating sportspersons for deployments to be second guessed because they were needed to represent the unit/team/etc.

To say it got my back up is an understatement, and i work on the principle of best person for the mission, be they a sportsperson or not i was always led to believe they were employed in trade and not in football/rugby/triathalon to name a few. I refuse to let the buggers duck operations on the basis of important sports fixtures or am i not seeing the big picture here. Just to clarify its always the best person for the mission/ex regardless of anything else except compassionate reasons that governs my decisions/recommendations.

That said im not anti sports superstars as i believe that the Army is a package with sport being a component of it, however, not at the cost of operational effectiveness and others having to do the extra exercises/operations just to ensure that this particular team wins the league or cup.

And yes one person does knock things sideways sometimes, and of course you have to ask yourself or you doing what is morally right at the end of the day. Can you sleep with the knowledge that some other poor tom has deployed on Ops to cover your job so that a trophy cabinet is replenished.

Oh well thats my little take on it all, im feeling a bit alone in this sea of sportstars, maybe im the only one who thinks this way, will be interesting to see......

15. Yes you are missing the big picture. The majority of Corps/Army/Combined Services sportsmen are keen to get on ops as much as anyone else. They know it is good for the profile. As an alledged manager/leader it is your job to try and create the the opportunity for them to do all they can and not be so narrow minded to think that "he's always away on sport I'll dick him now". Sportsmen put a lot of time and effort (usually their own time) into providing good publicity for their units, corps and the Army. If alledged managers/leaders thought beyond their own inability to contribute fully to the wider community and realised the potential of some of their junior soldiers in their ability to put something positive into unit life then perhaps we would all live in a better place.

Narrow minded views that sportsmen do nothing but sit around in their tracksuits all day does nothing but piss off those sportsmen that are actively trying to balance the requirements of their Commanding Officers as well as the requirements of the Corps/Arm or Service that wants to be represented by them. Junior management (Tp/Sqn Comd level) should realise that some very junior soldiers already have enough to deal with in trying to do their best for everyone and balance their careers without Tp SSgts giving them grief for something that they are good at. More praise and pride in your soldiers achievements may gain you a little more respect and a more productive soldier.

And that is just utter tosh. The BPFA is an assessment. It has two aims :

Firstly to assist unit PT staff in directing unit PT to focus in the areas of weakness generically within a unit.

Secondly to assist individuals in assessing thir own ability to do upper body strength activities, abdominal exercises and anaerobic exercise (in the form of a 1.5 mile run).

Your assumption that get fit for sport not the other way round may be a basic premise but by depriving an individual of physical activity that he/she enjoys do you really think there is an incentive to run any faster in a 1.5 mile run? Rubbish. All forms of activity that promote fitness should be encouraged, not getting a green on your 1.5 mile run but can prop against internationals for Northampton for 80 minutes on a saturday, I know which one I would consider to be fitter and which one the army will splash all over the papers as an army role model.

Edit:

(Apologies to Mr Budgen I am sure he can run 1.5 miles in the prescribed time and he shouldn't consider huntimg me down and beating me up)