Sport in the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jul 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Are there still TA Sports competitions open, or is this now confined to the OTC, what with all the other demands on our training time and MTDs?

2. Dunno about other regs but the Int Corps does football and stuff organised through the Int Corps Association (ICA).

I think its on an individual regiment/association footing. Never heard of a TA umbrella org for this though.

Hope this helps.
  3. TA sports (as I intimated on the other thread) used to be a big issue and has been eroded over the years - it's all too serious these days (stands by for incoming).

I'm sure there still is a TA Committee or something and some national events - I took part in the national TA orienteering championships not that long ago....

Rugby is still going, as is football. I read about skiing once - is that still on?.

Do the Nijmegan marches (cancelled) count?

When was the last time you saw any PR?
  4. msr

msr LE

Not recently, apart from RA football (which is on a Wednesday in September - sports afternoon anyone?)

That's why I asked...

5. Still see poster up for the Army rally championships from time to time but not sure if there is purely TA classes involved.
  6. is that the point though? Given the 'one army' shouldn't the TA just take part in regular events?
  7. Didnt a TA unit get to the final of a army football cup a couple of years back only to be told " Ah sorry, one army now, but this competitions only for Regs, your disqualified, goodbye, thanks for making up the numbers, didnt really expect you to get this far"
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Ski-ing is still on, LONDIST boxing club has TA fighters competing, one of our Cpls has colours for football.

It is certainly not as obvious as it used to be, but it is still out there.
  9. You would have thought so how ever a matein my Bn is high up in the Judo grading and has taken part in the Army and Interservice championships before and kicked some serious arrse, rang up this year to enquire again only to be told he wasn't eligable as he was TA

On a similar note I could do with some guidence on this as had a Recruit walk in last night on an open night, and enquire about Kick Boxing again as before top of the grading system takes his Instructors exams next month and wants to compete for the Army

For a recruiting and retentention perspective how do we not stifle this enthusiasm and if there are the competitions out there
  10. Scottish TA football competition is still run, and there is a TA event at the Army Ski Championships.

11. msr

msr LE

Wouldn't it be great to see all the fixtures / competitions / events published in the first edition of TAQ each year?

This magazine has soooooo much potential.

12. Yea so much potential think I have only seen 1 edition!!!!

If they could produce it electronically and put it on line Army Net, TA Website it would be better
  13. Indeed.

One wonders, given the direct link to retention positive activity, why this hasn't been siezed on before. Regional Brigades in particular are missing a trick here and moreover, it would bring some 'balance' to the training cycle and output.

As ever with these things, the solution to 80% of one's problems are staring you in the face.
  14. Recently due to "One Army" the regs have realised they should let us play sports too and as such the sports board has bought out legislation allowing TA personnel that are good enough to play alongside their regular counterparts.
    This however is countered by the ruling that there is a limit on how many TA players can be in a team. I believe it's something like in an 11 man team you are allowed 3 TA members.
    I don't know where to find sports related regulations, but we have the letter up in our TAC so it is official.
    Hope this is of help.