Sport in the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Powdermonkey, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone

I passed my RSW this weekend and am looking forward to hopefully starting my P1 training in January.

Something that I've been thinking about recently is, is there an opportunity to play sport in the TA for either the Regiment or the Army itsef? I have heard that in the regulars there is obviously the opportunity to play sport but does this transfer to the TA aswell? I am quite interested in playing rugby if it is possible. Sorry if this is a bone question and I hope it actually makes some sense!

2. I'm sure one of our lads(TA) plays football for reg army so it is possible.

Edited to add 'football'.
  3. Hi devilish

Brilliant, do you think the best plan would just be to ask around at my squadron and see what they say, also do you think it would be best to complete my P1 and P2 training first?

4. It all really depends on how strongly your unit feel about sports. I don't mean volleyball on a Tuesday night either. We have a dedicated football team, ski team, mountain biking team, orienteering team etc etc.

Have they got a dedicated football/rugby team? Are they entered in a league or cup?

Best advice I can give you is wait till you finish your recruit training but by all means mention that you are keen to play serious rugby and maybe they will send you to trials.
  5. I'm not sure if they have any sports teams or not to be honest. I'll wait till I've finished my recruit training like you say but maybe mention that I'm interested in playing sport and see what happens then.

Thanks for the help.
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You can do loads of sports in the TA but it probably varies from unit to unit, my mob are particularly lucky to have a large sports field infront of our barracks.

At my TA unit alone we have the following clubs and teams who meet and play on a regular basis:

Cross country running
    Cross country skiing
    Downhill skiing
    Snowboarding (unofficial team)
    A yacht squadron
    Target shooting
    Skeet shooting
    Black powder shooting
    Show jumping
    Cross country riding

There are probably more but these are just the ones I can think of from the top of my head.

Edited to add: At my unit you cannot participate in any Regimental sports during part 1 training.
  7. yeh ive a TA friend who plays for the army hockey team.

ive shot for the TA team at Bisley, and in some events represented the Regulars also.
  8. That's a pretty comprehensive list of sports there Ravers, which regiment are you with?

I suppose that makes sense not being able to do Regimental sports during Part 1 training. Although it would be worth mentioning during Part 1 training that I'm interested though surely?

9. I shoot for a club at the minute (small bore and full bore) do you think that I would be able to shoot fullbore for the TA aswell as the club. Do the TA help with entry for the Imperial or is it just the services week two weeks before. I used to be a CCF cadet and we got a slight discount off entry prices for the Imperial, does this apply for the TA aswell? Thanks
  10. Yes, you can shoot for both. The TA only compete once during the year (outside of Imperial) sometime in May, its a day of training (saturday) then an inter-services comp on the sunday (regs, RAF, Navy, Vets, Police, Civil Service but usually only the RAF, Navy and Regs are there for that one).

I have had financial support in the past, covering entry fees for pre-imperial and imperial shoots, expenses and MTDs. It depends what your unit would be willing to cover. But TARA does not have such funds to aid TA soldiers unfortunately.

[Mod edit] Send this para by PM please
  11. If in the TA you are allowed to compete in sport at regimental/corps level in the regular army, but you are not allowed to represent at the highest level ie the full army side.

Concerning the TA rugby, I went to Cyprus with them last year for a tournament, however I think this was a one off but im sure that if you ask your staff they would point you in the right direction.
  12. msr

msr LE

I wonder what the GCM will do to TA sports?

13. As per my first post, I'm quite sure one of our lads plays for the army team and he's TA.
  14. ...although in 2001 when foot-and-mouth hit and they wanted a competitive team, the normal rule about "but you're TA, you're not eligible for Combined Services" got dropped :)
  15. IC, sound good, when you say you got financial support covering entry fees does that mean they payed your whole fee or just part of it?

Brilliant, I think I will make enquiries at my squadron after I have finished my recruit training then. Hopefully they should be supportive of it!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.