Sport and Army Fitness - Which one is best?

Best sport to play to prepare for Army entry

• Rowing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rugby

• Football

• Tri-athlon

• Swimming

• Weight Lifting

• Long Distance Running

• Other

• Total voters
What sport (Rugby, rowing, triathlon, running, tennis etc) do you think is the best to play in terms of preparation for the Army?

The Army requires a good combo of endurance training combined with strength and agility for crossing obstacles and lifting gear/men. What sport combines extreme endurance fitness, whilst at the same time maintains strenght and agility?

Opinions?

Muay thai/Boxing and some power lifting.

Although I would say something with a team aspect would also be good.

I'm not serving however so pinch of salt, I'm just talking about pure fitness.

I would argue against triathlon. You swim, run and bike at a steady maintainable pace and you carry cack all. It is also non-contact.

Something like rugby has you trained to work yourself over and above your pain threshold in irregular patterns, requires strength, some stamina and gets you used to taking knocks and handling yourself in a fracas. Training involves weights too for power.

Sure if you wanna be an athlete do triathlon. Wanna be a soldier - do rugby.

Your welcome !

D_B

To be fair, the OP said 'preparation' for the army: the pain threshold/ handling yourself stuff is going to be part and parcel of phase 1/2 anyway, so surely the best prep is going to be the stamina and alround conditioning of triathlon? (and don't forget tri usually involves plenty of weights work in the off season).

That said, nowt like something with a bit of 'contact' to prove to yourself you can have a bit of pain without the world coming to an end ...

corbuk said:
powerlifitng, Only cause its all i do anyway.
Well you would, wouldn't you ? Being a black clad member of Her Majesty's Special Forces (or a cadet) would mean that you have to. Are you the one on the left in you avatar ?? :?

Also, kids are always pre-occupied by muscle size rather than efficiency. Your attitude will change once you start shaving.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Wind your young neck in ------- I'm having fun and couldn't resist it !! :D

D_B

As long as you do a little running (to prevent things like shin splints) I would say rowing. It's the best all around fitness going.

I don't think any one sport would prepare somebody for the Army; it would be better to combine various sports like Cross-Country Running, Weight Training and a full-contact sport such as MMA or Rugby.

dogs_bollox said:
corbuk said:
Well you would, wouldn't you ? Being a black clad member of Her Majesty's Special Forces (or a cadet) would mean that you have to. Are you the one on the left in you avatar ?? :?

Also, kids are always pre-occupied by muscle size rather than efficiency. Your attitude will change once you start shaving.

D_B

What the feck are you on about?

Yes, Thats why i do strength/power lifting training and not "bodybuilding".....well done.

Infanteers I suppose would need an all-round regime, but if you're joining to be anything more than a bullet-catcher and will have an actual job to do, just run. Run, run and run some more, because that's all you'll be doing out of phase 1. Seriously if you can do your 44 press ups and 50 sit ups every couple of months that's all you need. Run, get good at and bask in the knowledge that though you're a weed you can just skive through every circuit session and wow the ruperts with your merely moist brow after a steady state run. Or a cross country run. Or a boot run. Or sprints. Or hill reps.

Run Forrest, run.

Grandad said:
Infanteers I suppose would need an all-round regime, but if you're joining to be anything more than a bullet-catcher and will have an actual job to do, just run. Run, run and run some more, because that's all you'll be doing out of phase 1. Seriously if you can do your 44 press ups and 50 sit ups every couple of months that's all you need. Run, get good at and bask in the knowledge that though you're a weed you can just skive through every circuit session and wow the ruperts with your merely moist brow after a steady state run. Or a cross country run. Or a boot run. Or sprints. Or hill reps.

Run Forrest, run.
Nice first post! :wink: Standby for incoming... :twisted:

corbuk said:
dogs_bollox said:
corbuk said:

D_B

What the feck are you on about?

Yes, Thats why i do strength/power lifting training and not "bodybuilding".....well done.
I still say with an avatar like that that you must be a cadet or cub scout. Who the hell uses a poncy avatar like that ? VERY sneaky beaky.
D_B

Ino about the avvy mate,

Cant be stuffed to change.

Ive got basic in 3 days,

Sorry about that earlier, just training is a hot topic of mine, hate it when people talk sh1t about training etc....get enough mongs as it is in the gym.

corbuk said:
Ino about the avvy mate,

Cant be stuffed to change.

Ive got basic in 3 days,

Sorry about that earlier, just training is a hot topic of mine, hate it when people talk sh1t about training etc....get enough mongs as it is in the gym.
No worries bud'. But I would change the avatar :wink:

I've never been a big weights monkey myself but have done pretty much every other sport there is an' I have to say all of the above mentioned sports get you fit but fitness can be quickly found at a young age. Being 'robust' at everything else can be gotten from rugby.
Team spirit VERY important. You don't get that training alone for hours on end and it is vital to fitting in
Getting used to the good and bad banter.
Putting your body in the way for your mates and jumping in when fists fly.
Being fit is the easy part of Army life. Learning to fit in is the trick.

Rowing is good too as it teaches you to always look over your shoulder. Very useful when the DS are floating about. :wink:

Good luck with Basic. Be interesting to hear your thoughts on which sport is best after you pass.

D_B

Latest Threads