Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Spooky tunnels/ghosts in/at Hohne?

I think the spooky tunnel story is an urban myth at just about every old barracks in germany. I know Roberts Barracks in Osnabruck has its own tunnel story.
"Supposedly" there are flooded tunnels under the barracks, they sent a few divers in to explore, two never came back and the one that did, his hair had turned pure white and he went nuts so they sealed them up. :roll:
Most of they old buildings had they long cellars that usually had the old metal doors on each room, generally used as stores and such, always remember them being sppoky long dark corridors though.

NDScott
Just spoke to my work colleague in Hohne Camp (he runs the Roundhouse Museum so Pupgreen knows him well). He declares and I am in agreement that there are no tunnels under any building in Hohne. Sorry to disappoint.

I don't know about Hohne but I can tell you that in Hildesheim the cellars under the blocks were 3 levels deep and the camp had tunnels all over the place. Our Reccy -Mech popped down one in the LAD and popped up 100m later under C Sqn hangar.

Also one day some German workman using a digger broke into a tunnel during building work and all work had to stop.

There was a tunnel from the CO's house leading out of the camp towards the town.

As for ghosts several clerks refused to do duty clerk in RHQ alone at night because of the 'ghost'

Others alledgedly claimed to have seen a 'ghostly airman' wandering around the airfield.

The camp, Tofrek Kaserne was an important bomber and paratrooper base during the war. KG 200 the Germans who flew captured allied aircraft had a detachment based there and the German paras took off from there to jump into Crete. Every year the German paras used to turn up to their Para cenotaphe for a parade (it was right under my window)

The training wing was 3 stories high but one end of it was an empty gap that went directly from floor to ceiling - alledgedly the german bomb aimers had some sort of platform they used to lie on with a bomb sight and 3 floors below a map of britain. The platform was free to roll around and they dropped sandbag bombs onto targets.

The tank hangars had strafeing bullet marks in the walls and Hildesheim itself was the base of the 30 or so British SS soldiers.

RHQ had some good photos of Hitler and Goering visiting and whilst leaf sweeping behind RHQ someone found a german stick grenade under the trees and ATO had to be called.

Lastly I was checking the RTR website and seen photos of the camp now the germans have got it back (civi) - the old QM(T) dept is now a sex shop! - I always knew the QM(T)s guys were gimps!!

headgear said:
I don't know about Hohne but I can tell you that in Hildesheim the cellars under the blocks were 3 levels deep and the camp had tunnels all over the place. Our Reccy -Mech popped down one in the LAD and popped up 100m later under C Sqn hangar.

Also one day some German workman using a digger broke into a tunnel during building work and all work had to stop.

There was a tunnel from the CO's house leading out of the camp towards the town.

As for ghosts several clerks refused to do duty clerk in RHQ alone at night because of the 'ghost'

Others alledgedly claimed to have seen a 'ghostly airman' wandering around the airfield.

The camp, Tofrek Kaserne was an important bomber and paratrooper base during the war. KG 200 the Germans who flew captured allied aircraft had a detachment based there and the German paras took off from there to jump into Crete. Every year the German paras used to turn up to their Para cenotaphe for a parade (it was right under my window)

The training wing was 3 stories high but one end of it was an empty gap that went directly from floor to ceiling - alledgedly the german bomb aimers had some sort of platform they used to lie on with a bomb sight and 3 floors below a map of britain. The platform was free to roll around and they dropped sandbag bombs onto targets.

The tank hangars had strafeing bullet marks in the walls and Hildesheim itself was the base of the 30 or so British SS soldiers.

RHQ had some good photos of Hitler and Goering visiting and whilst leaf sweeping behind RHQ someone found a german stick grenade under the trees and ATO had to be called.

Lastly I was checking the RTR website and seen photos of the camp now the germans have got it back (civi) - the old QM(T) dept is now a sex shop! - I always knew the QM(T)s guys were gimps!!

headgear,

Come on fella you were doing well with your story until you got to the stick grenade part...............sorry but I had to laugh out loud at the inefficient standard of area cleaning in that barracks! :roll:

buggrit said:
I think the spooky tunnel story is an urban myth at just about every old barracks in germany. I know Roberts Barracks in Osnabruck has its own tunnel story.
"Supposedly" there are flooded tunnels under the barracks, they sent a few divers in to explore, two never came back and the one that did, his hair had turned pure white and he went nuts so they sealed them up. :roll:
Most of they old buildings had they long cellars that usually had the old metal doors on each room, generally used as stores and such, always remember them being sppoky long dark corridors though.

Almost word for word the stories we used to hear in Kaliningrad (Königsberg)... Old flooded tunnels under the city, trap-doors, unsuspecting victims... Spooky coincidence! :)

pupgreen said:
good morning,,mr ,ndscott. right lets put this to bed right now,,
there are no tunnels,,ok, what you was shown was prob a normal celler under one of the blocks..every block has them..under the big union buildings by the stores depot there are in fally small conecting tunnels,for a narrow gauge railway..again no more than 50 meteres long,,i expect that is the same at hohne as well in the old stores sheds there..
this is and will always be an urban myth.having lived -dug-looked at all things fally i will stand up and 100%; say there is not a tunnel from here to hohne..sorry if that ruins your book,,but if you wish to write history. please come and speak with me or visit our web site,,
www.fallingbostelmilitarymuseum.de
we work hand in glove with the round house museum in hohne..and he hasent found your tunnel either...

Pup don't mention anything about the underground autobahn that runs all the way to Calais from 'Falling-Bar-Stool' everybody will want to use it! :D I think every ex Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe/SS barracks had an underground hospital where the 'Mengele Gang' conducted experiments and a tunnel leading to some other bks on the other side of town..............not!!! :x

I was stationed at glen Hughes bks 84 to89 lots of spooky stories ie the swastica on the clock tower that could always be seen and the writing on the glass that always appeared when the window steamed up and there was always a bet to get some one to stay in the morg for the night never happened the tunnel stories where always being told the long walk way under the living accom was spoooooky as well rumours of another floor below where rife as well only thing I know was true was the amount of single lady's that spent the night in the lads rooms over the years must have been in the 100s and one lad had a girl locked in his locker while the RSM was doing his inspection ps he hated the smell of bleach so we put it every where lol

WTF
I was stationed at glen Hughes bks 84 to89 lots of spooky stories ie the swastica on the clock tower that could always be seen and the writing on the glass that always appeared when the window steamed up and there was always a bet to get some one to stay in the morg for the night never happened the tunnel stories where always being told the long walk way under the living accom was spoooooky as well rumours of another floor below where rife as well only thing I know was true was the amount of single lady's that spent the night in the lads rooms over the years must have been in the 100s and one lad had a girl locked in his locker while the RSM was doing his inspection ps he hated the smell of bleach so we put it every where lol

Exactly what we had in York Brks in Munster, long cellar under the blocks, metal doors leading off. They weren't doors to secret tunnels, they were just little rooms where the SQMS used to store shite, such as pre pissed mattresses to issue to new lads.

Don't know about Hohne, but there was a similar tale about Trenchard Bks in Celle. Used to be HQ coy building, just inside gate on right, and Sigs Pln stores were in cellar. There was a very strange atmosphere in the place, and a tunnel did exist then. But a bloody long time ago now. In late 60s.

There was a story about a tunnel at Trenchard Barracks going from one of the blocks or the officers mess all the way to Belson (some considerable distance) where the concentration camp was. As far as I know, it was just a story with no evidence to prove it did exist or that any other tunnels existed.

All the company blocks had cellars. B company had a rather splendid bar in their block cellar. The CSM had a Friday lunchtime parade on the small square in front of the block where we were marched around for twenty minutes drill practice before being marched file by file into the bar.

Some of the block cellars though were still in their original condition with the cells used for storage and the original cell door complete with the observation hole and a small hatch you could open to push a plate with food on it through.