Sponsorship question (slightly bemused)

Discussion in 'Officers' started by THFC, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi chaps, I've had a quick search for more info on regimental sponsorship but found little (perhaps Im being a biff), but here goes.

I have recently been given a sponsorship by an infantry regiment but im entirely bemused (pleasantly I suppose) by the whole process.

Just to give you an idea of what happened: I turned up for an interview hoping to gain sponship for said regiment. I expected to be quizzed heavily, as per mainboard, and then have to go on a POC before sponsorship was given.

Now as it turns out I had met the officer interviewing me very briefly a few weeks before hand and had had a quick 5 min chat. As a result I had a formal interview lasting litrally all of about 30 seconds before he whipped me away to the bar. Naturally at the time I was loving it and I had a good laugh, not at all what I had expected.

When the issue of sponsorship was raised I was told that I seemed to be a good lad and that he didnt see any reason not to sponsor me. I was, and still am, confused by the whole process so asked if any admin was needed. His answer was that he didnt know and that he would get in touch if there was ( I havnt heard anything since). He went on to say that it was an antiquated system and that the regiment had no obligation to me nor me to them, which I was already aware of. He seemed completely blasé about the whole issue.

So in the end I had a few more beers and left. I was told I had sponsorship but the only evidence I have of this is said officers chat.

So my questions are is this type of thing normal? (Aside from a brief 5 min chat I have had no contact with this officer or regiment before. I have no family ties and its not a reg where schooling etc might matter).

Have other people who got sponsorship had some sort of formal confirmation or had a harder time getting one? Basically is this normal or have I just been a bit lucky?

Im not at all complaining and Im obviously really pleased. However im also honestly slightly confused by the whole situation/process, but after all I've been told I have sponsorship so Im quite happy to roll with things as they are now. :D

I realise its not you guys I should be asking the questions to, rather said regiment, but any info would be very welcome.

2. If it helps, I had to listen to an episode of 'From Our Own Correspondent", promise that I wasn't a drug addict and confirm that I was a keen rugby player and I was accepted for sponsorship. The whole process took about 35 mins. Each Regiment is different. Some do run a POC others require only a brief chat with a nice chap in tweed.

There used to be a requirement to obtain Regimental sponsorship prior to attending RCB/AOSB. I'm not sure if this is still the case. Regardless the Regiment has no obligation to take you once at RMAS.
  3. Your ACA(O) can act as your sponsor if need be.
  4. Of my three offers of sponsorship 1 was after spending an hour discussing the merits of Sharpe againts Flashman and lunch in the mess, one was after a 1 day POC and the offer was a bit of grilling, though that was to make sure i wasn't being cheeky and trying to get on a free jolly to Cyprus.
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Sounds about right, basically it's a 'are you the sort of chap us chaps would like to have in our club' meeting. If you are then you're in, if you aren't then thanks for your time and try the RLC.

6. Sounds like its fairly normal then, happy days!
  7. I phoned my ACA(O) to tell him I was unsure if I wanted to be a medical officer or a mainstream officer. Over the phone he told me that he would put me in for selection. When I expressed my suprised and asked about sponsorship, he said it really wasn't necessary. So there you are.