Sponsorship / Confirmed Cadet

Hi all,

Currently applying for RMAS, and I'm looking to get some definitive answers on what exactly sponsorship and being a confirmed cadet is.

Does anyone know exactly what each one is, how you go about getting one, what it actually means career wise?

Cheers

Example: REME sponsor you, you pass out of Sandhurst, they employ you.
But i am sure others on arrse can go in to the more precise details!

Hi all,

Currently applying for RMAS, and I'm looking to get some definitive answers on what exactly sponsorship and being a confirmed cadet is.

Does anyone know exactly what each one is, how you go about getting one, what it actually means career wise?

Cheers
I was under the impression being a confirmed cadet means almost guarenteed acceptance into regiment of your choosing

Documentary 1/3
Documentary 2/3
Documentary 3/3

Was an insight

Presumably it's "preferential" but not "guarenteed", depends on your overall performance, if they identify you lacking in some of the desirable elements such as phys etc.

Anyway enjoy the top 3 links, each episode an hour.

I was under the impression being a confirmed cadet means almost guarenteed acceptance into regiment of your choosing

Documentary 1/3
Documentary 2/3
Documentary 3/3

Was an insight

Presumably it's "preferential" but not "guarenteed", depends on your overall performance, if they identify you lacking in some of the desirable elements such as phys etc.

Anyway enjoy the top 3 links, each episode an hour.

Seen mate, that's what's spurned my question :) still a good watch though

Example: REME sponsor you, you pass out of Sandhurst, they employ you.
But i am sure others on arrse can go in to the more precise details!
So how does that differ from being a confirmed cadet? And is it at a FAM visit that they decide on sponsorship, or does each unit have a specific process?

Do all units do Sponsorship / Confirmed Cadet, or just a few?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sponsorship is essentially meaningless, but it's a way of a Regiment expressing formal interest in you. I think they get your AOSB report sent to them and a few other minor bits.

Confirmed cadet status guarantees you a place in the unit before you turn up at Sandhurst so you don't go through the RSB process. It's mostly used by the cavalry but isn't common even for them; outside of the cavalry it's extremely rare.

Seen mate, that's what's spurned my question :) still a good watch though

So how does that differ from being a confirmed cadet? And is it at a FAM visit that they decide on sponsorship, or does each unit have a specific process?

Do all units do Sponsorship / Confirmed Cadet, or just a few?
Look IF your unsure speak to RMAS your a future General, ask, use google or are you expecting a lacky to do it?
Your not at the regiment yet so no LCpl or Cpl to do your dogs body work!

Sponsorship is essentially meaningless, but it's a way of a Regiment expressing formal interest in you. I think they get your AOSB report sent to them and a few other minor bits.

Confirmed cadet status guarantees you a place in the unit before you turn up at Sandhurst so you don't go through the RSB process. It's mostly used by the cavalry but isn't common even for them; outside of the cavalry it's extremely rare.
So really not guarenteeing anything after I watched that documentary a few years back, the fella was essentially back termed for cited reasons but did meet what was expected and went into the Househouse Cavalry.

I think it show the system to be fair, why not scrunitize these guys as much?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So really not guarenteeing anything after I watched that documentary a few years back, the fella was essentially back termed for cited reasons but did meet what was expected and went into the Househouse Cavalry
It guarantees you acceptance into the unit provided you complete the commissioning course, which 95% of cadets do. By the time the guy in that show was backtermed he had already been accepted into the HCR.