Spoiling your ballot Paper

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Savage1987, Oct 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the background of the Upcoming Election, and with most people now viewing the most parties as little better than the BNP, I was wondering how many people are considering spoiling their ballot papers, and how many people know this counts as a vote?

I for one am going to do it, I agree with the view that Labour, Tories and the Lib Dems are little better than the BNP for various reasons, and that I don't believe electing either one of them will be any better than any of the others.
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

It may count as a vote...as in they are counted and reported on, but it does not affect the result...so someone will still win if they get the most votes...even if the number of spoiled ballets are greater then the number they get.

Saying that I would rather someone spoiled their ballot than not vote at all.

3. As long as you at least turn up to exercise your democratic / electoral rights (which people have died for), you can do what you like with your ballot paper. Seems a waste to me though.

And remember, you lose ALL rights to whinge on arrse or elsewhere about any future Govt which you failed to bother to vote against...
  4. Spoiling your ballot will not prevent one of them getting in, it may however allow someone you really dislike to be elected. Vote, a lot of people died so you could have one.
  5. Agreed. Spoiling your ballot is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
  6. I normally vote spoil my ballot - or "vote Tory" as it is known up here. However, when we are finally given the chance, I am going to vote "anybody but Joyce". That that is also "anybody but Gordon" is just the "brucey bonus".
  7. It should be law that you have to vote but there should also be a box you can x, marked none of the above.
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Don't forget Brown and Labours best bet of clinging to some power is a hung parliment
    They're banking on people spoiling papers and voting for fringe parties to take votes from the Tories
    I bet he'll exept a few BNP MP's if it allows him to cling on to power`
  9. Or an OTHER box where I can write: "jeremy Clarkson"
  10. Your Vote - your Choice.

I personally enjoyed reading the long list of candidates for the European Elections. Closed eyes and x marked the spot!
  11. It doesn't matter who you vote for, at the end of the day they are all self serving money grabbing leaches who couldn't give a monkeys about the electorate.
  12. Yep, people died so that we can vote today. But in a counter argument to that, did they die for what the current governments stand for? A right to do something also implies a right not to do something, it leaves the choice up to you. And the lack of a none of the above box appears to me to be a huge failing of democracy
  13. What do you offer as an alternative, anarchy? Our system may be flawed but it is pretty robust, would you prefer the Italian system?
  14. (In happy world) People died for the freedom of choice.

In real life they died because politicians got big ideas.
  15. I would suggest that the OP's post stating that all the other parties are as bad as the BNP is a little off the mark.

None of the other parties promote open racism and deny the Gurkhas access to live in this country....

....well except Labour on the last part.