Spoiling your ballot Paper

In the background of the Upcoming Election, and with most people now viewing the most parties as little better than the BNP, I was wondering how many people are considering spoiling their ballot papers, and how many people know this counts as a vote?

I for one am going to do it, I agree with the view that Labour, Tories and the Lib Dems are little better than the BNP for various reasons, and that I don't believe electing either one of them will be any better than any of the others.

It may count as a vote...as in they are counted and reported on, but it does not affect the result...so someone will still win if they get the most votes...even if the number of spoiled ballets are greater then the number they get.

Saying that I would rather someone spoiled their ballot than not vote at all.

S_R

As long as you at least turn up to exercise your democratic / electoral rights (which people have died for), you can do what you like with your ballot paper. Seems a waste to me though.

And remember, you lose ALL rights to whinge on arrse or elsewhere about any future Govt which you failed to bother to vote against...

Spoiling your ballot will not prevent one of them getting in, it may however allow someone you really dislike to be elected. Vote, a lot of people died so you could have one.

P

PrinceAlbert

CQMS said:
Spoiling your ballot will not prevent one of them getting in, it may however allow someone you really dislike to be elected. Vote, a lot of people died so you could have one.
Agreed. Spoiling your ballot is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I normally vote spoil my ballot - or "vote Tory" as it is known up here. However, when we are finally given the chance, I am going to vote "anybody but Joyce". That that is also "anybody but Gordon" is just the "brucey bonus".

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't forget Brown and Labours best bet of clinging to some power is a hung parliment
They're banking on people spoiling papers and voting for fringe parties to take votes from the Tories
I bet he'll exept a few BNP MP's if it allows him to cling on to power`

spiffy said:
It should be law that you have to vote but there should also be a box you can x, marked none of the above.
Or an OTHER box where I can write: "jeremy Clarkson"

Your Vote - your Choice.

I personally enjoyed reading the long list of candidates for the European Elections. Closed eyes and x marked the spot!

It doesn't matter who you vote for, at the end of the day they are all self serving money grabbing leaches who couldn't give a monkeys about the electorate.

Yep, people died so that we can vote today. But in a counter argument to that, did they die for what the current governments stand for? A right to do something also implies a right not to do something, it leaves the choice up to you. And the lack of a none of the above box appears to me to be a huge failing of democracy

Savage1987 said:
Yep, people died so that we can vote today. But in a counter argument to that, did they die for what the current governments stand for? A right to do something also implies a right not to do something, it leaves the choice up to you. And the lack of a none of the above box appears to me to be a huge failing of democracy
What do you offer as an alternative, anarchy? Our system may be flawed but it is pretty robust, would you prefer the Italian system?

(In happy world) People died for the freedom of choice.

In real life they died because politicians got big ideas.

I would suggest that the OP's post stating that all the other parties are as bad as the BNP is a little off the mark.

None of the other parties promote open racism and deny the Gurkhas access to live in this country....

....well except Labour on the last part.

Well, a system where one party gets about a third of the votes by over half the power sounds a bit screwed to me. It means that everyone who has voted Labour ends up with something like 1.5 votes of effective power, where as the rest of us have less than a vote of effective power.

Second, saying that the BNP isn't as bad as the rest of the is fairly moot, by voting for a you are saying that they are the party you believe can run the country. Do you think that any of the parties can run the country well? If the answer is no, then the BNP is just as bad as the rest of them, just different shades of bad which. If you think there is a party that can run the country, then you should ignore me as a rabid anarchist.

For the record, if I had my way then I would be there at the coronation of King William, and would be among those who think we should make him work for all the money we give him.

I suppose you get what you vote for, but, if you don't vote you can't then bleat about it being unfair. Vote, go to the Polling station and put your mark in the box don't cop out.

CQMS said:
How much do we give him?
Not sure off the top of my head, but the royal family get a part of our taxes.

pimpernet, what if I don't want anything thats on offer? What if I don't want to vote for any of the parties? Saying setup my own party is all well and good, but I don't have the time or money for it, neither do I have 300 odd friends that I'd need to setup a government capable of actually making a real change

Savage1987 said:
CQMS said:
How much do we give him?
Not sure off the top of my head, but the royal family get a part of our taxes.
So does every public employee in the land, before you demand he earn what he gets it might be prudent to find out how much if anything that is. The funds disbursed to second tier royals comes from the Duchy of Lancaster, not the civil list. Williams only source of taxpayer funds is in fact his military salary which I venture to suggest he actually does earn.