Splitting headaches after running HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by forniup, Jul 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there any Gym Queens out there that can help?

My Mrs is getting terrible headaches after she runs. They start arewhere form straight away to an hour after she runs. They start on the left side of her head and then go behind the left eye. They can last for a few hours and pills don't help. The only thing that seems to work is lying down in a dark room untill it goes. She is hydrated when she runs and had no problem on the runs. She has been to the GP who did a couple of slack tests by looking into her eye and that but the doc reckons there is nothing wrong.

Cheers
    Forniup

2. I think this occurs when a lady gets too far from the kitchen.

I would install a running machine in your house.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Helpful thanks. i'll be sure to tell her

4. Likely dehydration or maybe doing too much too soon.

5. ‘exertion headache’.

Any type of physical exertion, such as jogging or pounding a treadmill, causes blood vessels in the head, neck and scalp to swell, producing a build-up in pressure,

The severe pain can start within seconds of exercising and can occur anywhere in the head. These headaches are most common in people susceptible to migraines.

Obviously, changing the type of exercise can help — perhaps swimming instead of running — but taking anti-inflammatories half an hour before exercising may be another option, as this can reduce swelling.

6. I know it's probably the egg sucking and teaching scenario but is your Mrs really hydrated prior or just smashing a litre of water back just before the run? The body needs to take water on slowly over time as it doesn't absorb large hits (A helpful PTI once told me this so I assume it's correct).

7. The ex mother in law suffered from vertigo from time to time and some of the symptoms corresponded to the ones you are describing, including being alleviated by lying down in a dark room

8. Properly Hydrated before the run. She is training for a Half Marathon and has been smashing out 8 - 10 miles no dramas recently. Now she has these headaches after a 3 miler.

9. HHH

HHH LE

It sounds like she has a problem with her sinuses

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Can we have a brain cancer forum?

• Like Like x 1
  11. If I remember tomorrow and see one of our PTI's I will ask them.

Might be worth asking on Runner's World Forum as well?

12. Could be a tension related migraine - I'm no expert, but it might be that something is being aggrivated by the running and causing muscle tension in the neck area. I had horrendous whiplash last year and the related headaches were blinding. Get her to go to a good physio, if you are in North Yorks pm me and I will give you the number for mine - she is a genius.

13. This may be a radical concept....
    But instead of seeking medical advice from a bunch of random nutters on ARRSE, have you considered sending your wife to her GP?

There are people on here who would make Dr. Mengele seem like a sane, reasonable and caring paediatrician if you gave them a white coat and a stethoscope and turned them loose in a hospital.....

• Like Like x 5
  14. Thanks very much may I suggest you go to Specsavers as She has been to the GP as per the first post. GP's are hardly worried about "sports" injuries / illnesses. Hense the post here to see if anyone had had this before

15. Tell her to get a better sports bra.... Has she got a headache and a hint of black eye? Her paps might be smacking her in the face with every step.....

Alternatively get her to tuck them into the tops of her Ron Hills....