Spitfire

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by jim24, Mar 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Tomorrow 75 years ago 5th March 1936, a prototype aircraft Reg K5054 took off for the first time at Eastleigh aerodrome near Southampton it was the first flight of the Spitfire

2. You mean tomorrow the 5th March?

Q.

3. And still an amazing aircraft, i am lucky enough to live very close to RAF Coningsby, on most weekends if the weather is reasonable we get a spit doing the circuit, over the village at about 2000' the roar of that engine is unmistakeable, pilot does loop de loops, victory rolls, then a nice slow approach with gear down. Alongside a typhoon last weekend it looked so small and fragile hard to believe what they achieved so long ago.

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Yes alright just wait until your old, sad, blind, and arthritic

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Qualifies for a free t.v. license now

6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Ahhhh, K5054. I know I'm an anorak from the Spotters' Thread, because that airframe number is lodged in my memory. :oops:

And [also acknowledging the part played by the Hurricane prototype, K5083, and its successors] what a different World it might have been.

Never mind the jokes about cricket sweaters, white socks and Farahs :) ...
    Just thank God for RJ Mitchell, Sydney Camm, and all the other people who created the aircraft that kept Hitler's Germany at bay in 1940 ... and all the guys and gals [air and ground] who died in the process.

Happy Birthday, Spitfire! :thumright:

7. And how about a thought for 'Poppy' Houston, the ex chorus girl who paid for the development of the Spitfire and the Merlin? It's still not too late to put up a statute in her honour.

8. the_boy_syrup

9. My only claim to fame - I share my birthday with the spitfire .

10. Was at the Petwood Hotel one fine sunny sunday a couple of years ago when I heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin engine... and then a Spitfire roared overhead on a ciruit from Coningsby. Made my day.

Lunch was quite good too.

Q.

11. Happy 75th then.

12. the_boy_syrup

IOf you ever get the chance to go to one of the Last Night At The Proms Concerts featuring the Spitfire thenm I can recommend it
    Normally in teh first half (at Castle Howard anyway) they played war movie tunes
    Just as they get to the Battle of Britain bit in it came
    As they banged and crashed away it did a series of loops rolls and circuits

Quality

Here you go

YouTube - Spitfire at Castle Howard

13. Heard a Merlin fly over at work on Tuesday morning. All the blokes stopped what they were doing and craned necks. "That's a....." sighhhhhhh

I were quite impressed.

(Dunno what airframe, couldn't see it!)

14. Smiled when I saw this. Was driving up Reginald Mitchell Way here in Stoke earlier today, and found myself following a distinctive pale blue van bearing the logo "Supermarine". "That's apt" I thought - then as I got closer I saw it belonged to these people: Welcome to Supermarine Aero Engineering Ltd. It turned off into a small industrial site on the A50 just off Reg Mitchell Way. Thanks to all those who keep these legends flying.

(and God help us if we need air defences any time in the near future.)

15. While checking out the link to the low flying Spit earlier I wandered to the other links there and copped a whack of this:

Now, where are the tissues, I've dropped some milk.