Spitfire

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Tomorrow 75 years ago 5th March 1936, a prototype aircraft Reg K5054 took off for the first time at Eastleigh aerodrome near Southampton it was the first flight of the Spitfire

And still an amazing aircraft, i am lucky enough to live very close to RAF Coningsby, on most weekends if the weather is reasonable we get a spit doing the circuit, over the village at about 2000' the roar of that engine is unmistakeable, pilot does loop de loops, victory rolls, then a nice slow approach with gear down. Alongside a typhoon last weekend it looked so small and fragile hard to believe what they achieved so long ago.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Qualifies for a free t.v. license now

Ahhhh, K5054. I know I'm an anorak from the Spotters' Thread, because that airframe number is lodged in my memory. :oops:

And [also acknowledging the part played by the Hurricane prototype, K5083, and its successors] what a different World it might have been.

Never mind the jokes about cricket sweaters, white socks and Farahs :) ...
Just thank God for RJ Mitchell, Sydney Camm, and all the other people who created the aircraft that kept Hitler's Germany at bay in 1940 ... and all the guys and gals [air and ground] who died in the process.

Happy Birthday, Spitfire! :thumright:

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Was at the Petwood Hotel one fine sunny sunday a couple of years ago when I heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin engine... and then a Spitfire roared overhead on a ciruit from Coningsby. Made my day.

Lunch was quite good too.

Q.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
IOf you ever get the chance to go to one of the Last Night At The Proms Concerts featuring the Spitfire thenm I can recommend it
Normally in teh first half (at Castle Howard anyway) they played war movie tunes
Just as they get to the Battle of Britain bit in it came
As they banged and crashed away it did a series of loops rolls and circuits

Quality

Here you go

YouTube - Spitfire at Castle Howard

Heard a Merlin fly over at work on Tuesday morning. All the blokes stopped what they were doing and craned necks. "That's a....." sighhhhhhh

I were quite impressed.

(Dunno what airframe, couldn't see it!)

Smiled when I saw this. Was driving up Reginald Mitchell Way here in Stoke earlier today, and found myself following a distinctive pale blue van bearing the logo "Supermarine". "That's apt" I thought - then as I got closer I saw it belonged to these people: Welcome to Supermarine Aero Engineering Ltd. It turned off into a small industrial site on the A50 just off Reg Mitchell Way. Thanks to all those who keep these legends flying.

(and God help us if we need air defences any time in the near future.)

Heard a Merlin fly over at work on Tuesday morning. All the blokes stopped what they were doing and craned necks. "That's a....." sighhhhhhh

I were quite impressed.

(Dunno what airframe, couldn't see it!)
While checking out the link to the low flying Spit earlier I wandered to the other links there and copped a whack of this:

[video=youtube;l1RV4O9vUqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1RV4O9vUqU&feature=related[/video]

Now, where are the tissues, I've dropped some milk.

"IOf you ever get the chance to go to one of the Last Night At The Proms Concerts featuring the Spitfire thenm I can recommend it "

We have an event near us every year at Borde Hill ....Carolyn Grace normaly flys her spit in a lovely display ...... the real trick though is to stand in a mate's field and wait for the spit to fly overhead .... the display usualy starts with a climb from behind some oak trees so the audiance don't see the spit approach ...... if you happen to be the other side of the same trees you get a fantastic low pass all to yourself
We also took part in an event at Ardingly showground last year ... Spit and Hurricane in attendance .... the Hurricane stole the show with a low pass just above the trees.
My Mrs stood next to me with tears streaming down her face ...and I'm sure it wasn't cause her thong was chaffing....
They realy are the sight and sound of freedom for so many people.

"While checking out the link to the low flying Spit earlier I wandered to the other links there and copped a whack of this:"

Shame its CGI - Oh that two mossies were airbourne at the same time .

They really are the sight and sound of freedom for so many people.
Not forgetting, for those who are old enough to remember, the other sound of freedom ... a complete Wing of 4 Vulcan sqns doing a survival scramble. Lincolnshire used to vibrate to the sound of multiple Olympus engines on full chat.

However, a Merlin [or indeed a Gryphon] sounds sweet.

one of my first memories is of being scared shitless by a vulcan flying over our farm at low level ..... I was in the middle of a large lawn with no cover .... tipped the washing out of mums washing basket and got under it like a tortoise shell .
my mother tells the story that it was a good few mins before she could see through the tears of laughter and come to my rescue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PartTimePongo Military History and Militaria 7
brighton hippy The NAAFI Bar 26
B The Intelligence Cell 11