Spitfire salute for royal couple

Ministry of Defence said:
When the royal newly-weds greet the public on Friday from the balcony of Buckingham Palace, RAF pilot Squadron Leader Ian Smith will perform a special wedding day flypast from the cockpit of a Spitfire. Report by Lorraine McBride.

More...

And then he'll be made redundant?

I suppose a Royal Wedding is the place to show off our latest Fighter plane.

C

cloudbuster

As the "100-year Experiment" draws to it's inevitable conclusion, future flypasts will be conducted from a Portacabin in the Nevada desert.

A helicopter flypast, or a Typhoon might have been more appropriate, but I guess there are none to spare. And perhaps the Red Sparrows charge too much?

The SMAIL reported there would be a flypast of "Lancasters" as well as a Siptfire and a Hurricane.

Wonder where the RAF are getting the "Lancasters" from?

24 Apr 2011 ... Lancaster bombers, Spitfires and Hurricanes will join in a flypast over
Buckingham Palace to celebrated the armed forces' involvement in the ...

A helicopter flypast, or a Typhoon might have been more appropriate, but I guess there are none to spare. And perhaps the Red Sparrows charge too much?
Currently 'display training' [yeah right] in Cyprus

"RAF pilot Squadron Leader Ian Smith will perform a special wedding day flypast from the cockpit of a Spitfire. "

So where else is he supposed to sit when flying?

IMHO, the unofficial "viewpoint for the Royal Wedding position" will be in the pub garden, from where the telly in the bar will be visible through the window. In the event of rain, the unofficial position will be leaning on the bar.

"RAF pilot Squadron Leader Ian Smith will perform a special wedding day flypast from the cockpit of a Spitfire. "

So where else is he supposed to sit when flying?
I wondered about that? It reads as though he's going to jump OUT of the Spitty and fly vertically past the balcony, which will make a reet mess of the right royal frock!

Well, 2 Tornado's and 2 Typhoon's, is that the best we could do? Cameron should be cringing with shame, it was pathtic!

As the "100-year Experiment" draws to it's inevitable conclusion, future flypasts will be conducted from a Portacabin in the Nevada desert.
Oh how I chortled! Just spat tea over my keyboard.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
By far the worst flypast ever 7 aircraft, really thats it?
Even William was embarrassed to be associated with it and pretended to be a Guardsman

Although well played for having the BoB flight flypast on Hitlers wedding anniversary :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mauld Tanks, planes & ships 11
brighton hippy The NAAFI Bar 26
B The Intelligence Cell 11