Builds Spitfire Mk.IXc in 1/32nd scale

PFGEN

GCM
First stab at the canopy clean up last night. Still work in progress, very relaxing, paste on soft cloth then gently make small circles. Where have I heard that before?

IMG_7686.jpeg

IMG_7688.jpeg

Some scratch work that still needs to be removed. I made the mistake of trying a curved blade first (the kind used for removing stitching). That wasn't a good idea. The seam has gone and some more work this evening should see the scratches removed.

PFGEN

GCM
Been busy behind the scenes for a while. I was facing issues with shiny arrse decals. I'd tried Microset but it didn't seem to make much odd. I'd dried different combinations of varnish. Idem ditto, no solution. Then I thought I'll make my own setting solution. Smells like the main ingredient of the setting solution is acetic acid but its mixed in with a bunch of other stuff which gives it that soapy feel. Guessing that part of these components are for reducing surface tension and adding some adhesive I went on a trolley dash round the chemical cabinets of a friend's cleanroom. IC manufacture involves similar in a few of the processes. A few experiments later, melted plastic and melted decals I seemed to have a concoction that works. A significant reduction in shiny shiny.

Back to the Spit, all decals applied. First coat of matt applied but more needed. Discovered that if I spray matt varnish too close to a model covered in gloss varnish it puddles. Wiped excess off with a cotton bud.

IMG_7946.jpeg

IMG_7947.jpeg

Still a long way to go. Should be ready for Christmas.

Been busy behind the scenes for a while. I was facing issues with shiny arrse decals. I'd tried Microset but it didn't seem to make much odd. I'd dried different combinations of varnish. Idem ditto, no solution. Then I thought I'll make my own setting solution. Smells like the main ingredient of the setting solution is acetic acid but its mixed in with a bunch of other stuff which gives it that soapy feel. Guessing that part of these components are for reducing surface tension and adding some adhesive I went on a trolley dash round the chemical cabinets of a friend's cleanroom. IC manufacture involves similar in a few of the processes. A few experiments later, melted plastic and melted decals I seemed to have a concoction that works. A significant reduction in shiny shiny.

Back to the Spit, all decals applied. First coat of matt applied but more needed. Discovered that if I spray matt varnish too close to a model covered in gloss varnish it puddles. Wiped excess off with a cotton bud.

View attachment 608137

View attachment 608138

Still a long way to go. Should be ready for Christmas.
Bit like Si and the Wokka….

Never said which Christmas….

PFGEN

GCM
Working on all the small bits now. Spent some time on the gun sights. It's the earlier version as Johnson preferred it to the later version and had it retrofitted to some of his aircraft. It's a bit small and the phone camera had a hard time trying to focus.

IMG_8055.jpeg

IMG_8056.jpeg

It's a bit of a mixed job based on the original Tamiya version. I doubt if I'll see the indicators once it has been installed.

Next is canopy, cannon, undercarriage, engine and what may be the hardest part, some weathering. I really don't want to get that last part wrong after all the work.

Working on all the small bits now. Spent some time on the gun sights. It's the earlier version as Johnson preferred it to the later version and had it retrofitted to some of his aircraft. It's a bit small and the phone camera had a hard time trying to focus.

View attachment 610118

View attachment 610119

It's a bit of a mixed job based on the original Tamiya version. I doubt if I'll see the indicators once it has been installed.

Next is canopy, cannon, undercarriage, engine and what may be the hardest part, some weathering. I really don't want to get that last part wrong after all the work.
Seriously, how the feck did you paint those white lines?

PFGEN

GCM
Seriously, how the feck did you paint those white lines?

I tried decals first and failed miserably so gave that up. Next the faithful toothpick. I'm not sure about this but I think they have a coated surface. I cut it down to the wood on all sides and make it thinner. My theory is that the wood is able to hold just enough paint. Bit of white paint and try and paint, press it onto the surface. There are supposed to be three rings with markers unlike my two. The third ring was impossible. Under the lens there is more detail. I had a stab at that and cocked it up but after a bit of a clean up I was left with something that looked like it should be there (just as long as you remove the specs and squint at an angle).

Mk II reflector gunsight

reflector gunsight.jpeg

I'm truly gobsmacked by the one in your photo. Today I stumbled across a chap who does one inch figures and there was a diorama of inside a WW1 trench - the one inch figures had badges etc painted on! What? How?

Then there is the painted figure of Tyson Fury doing the rounds - carved from a match-head!

Dads203

Old-Salt
I tried decals first and failed miserably so gave that up. Next the faithful toothpick. I'm not sure about this but I think they have a coated surface. I cut it down to the wood on all sides and make it thinner. My theory is that the wood is able to hold just enough paint. Bit of white paint and try and paint, press it onto the surface. There are supposed to be three rings with markers unlike my two. The third ring was impossible. Under the lens there is more detail. I had a stab at that and cocked it up but after a bit of a clean up I was left with something that looked like it should be there (just as long as you remove the specs and squint at an angle).

Mk II reflector gunsight

View attachment 610152
Fair play fella, looking bloody good from here, nothing not to like at all.

PFGEN

GCM
Spent some times fixing various snags. Finally fitted the undercarriage and cannons. The undercarriage wouldn't fit at first as the Tamiya parts wouldn't fit without some rather awkward fettling at obscure angles. At one point the wing split requiring some careful repair. Ended up making my own parts to fit the gear in place. Still to go are antennas, mirror, canopy pull and the engine. Engine next, wiring looms and supercharger connections.

Still on for construction being over by Christmas. Adding the patina and panel lines of a working Spit is going to be tough. It will be very easy to ruin two years work.

IMG_8355.jpeg

IMG_8354.jpeg

IMG_8353.jpeg

//slight but related drift//

My Eduard Mkllb shows a very large 'gun' sticking out of each wing. I read that the 303s were deemed inefficient and that they'd replaced it with a (French?) 20 or 40mm gun, but 4 of them. So does the model just show one in each wing? And what is sticking oput of the propellor boss?

s-l1600.jpg

If it ends up looking half as good as PFGEN's I'll be a happy bunny!

//Scramble!//

My Eduard Mkllb shows a very large 'gun' sticking out of each wing. I read that the 303s were deemed inefficient and that they'd replaced it with a (French?) 20 or 40mm gun, but 4 of them. So does the model just show one in each wing? And what is sticking oput of the propellor boss?

s-l1600.jpg

//Scramble!//
MkIIa had 8 machine guns
MkIIb had 2 hispano 20mm cannon (60 rounds per gun), 4 machine guns (350 rpg)

More on spits...

Despite his success, Douglas Bader gained a reputation for being somewhat outdated, dogmatic and not trusting of new technology. Never was this better illustrated than in his refusal to fly an aircraft armed with 20mm cannon, despite the obvious advantages they bestowed in comparison with the .303” machine gun.

His Spitfire Mk.V, W3185, was therefore a rare beast indeed and one of very few Mk.Va armed with eight .303” machine guns to make it to front-line service.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

s-l1600.jpg

//Scramble!//
Re the prop boss, just the angle that's the other wing gun

PFGEN

GCM
Engine detail now. Brass from Eduards. Shown in the picture is the Ht leads to the spark plugs for one side and the twisted abomination is supposed to be the connection to the supercharger. Its already lost two legs and doesn't look that great. The flat bit is supposed to be circular and is pretty prominent when looking at the real thing. I'm trying to convince myself to dump the Eduard's stuff and make my own although I'm not too keen on the 12 little spider legs.

IMG_8480.jpeg

Doh! Sometimes the answer is just TOO simple!

Thread drift...

JARIC late 1980s.

Young Int Corps officer imagery analyst working on aerial images of Soviet military equipment gets all excited thinking he's discovered a new version of a Soviet truck with oval windows in the top of the canvas canopy...

Imagine his disappointment when it is pointed out that it has obviously been raining and that the "windows" are in fact pools of rainwater which have collected on the canvas...

Don't overthink things...

Latest Threads