SPITFIRE ACE of ACES – Johnnie Johnson

SPITFIRE ACE of ACES – Johnnie Johnson

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This is a book which I was offered and accepted without checking what the subject matter was. It is as it says on the cover “The photographs of Johnnie Johnson” and that is exactly what it is. A bit of a cheat and I will explain why.

The book is full of photographs covering the career of Air Vice Marshall James Edgar “Johnnie” Johnson CB,CBE, DSO**, DFC*, DL. Starting with a few childhood ones, the majority are of his wartime career, finishing off with a few from his post war career. Each...

Click here to read the full review.....

This is a book which I was offered and accepted without checking what the subject matter was. It is as it says on the cover “The photographs of Johnnie Johnson” and that is exactly what it is. A bit of a cheat and I will explain why.

The book is full of photographs covering the career of Air Vice Marshall James Edgar “Johnnie” Johnson CB,CBE, DSO**, DFC*, DL. Starting with a few childhood ones, the majority are of his wartime career, finishing off with a few from his post war career. Each...

Well at that price it is following the companion book etiquette of the price being that of just covering the printing, and as photos are big files it seems value for money.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
@PFGEN if this is your thing very happy to pass on.

Any colour photographs which might settle the debate about the colour of the maple leaf symbol on JE-J ?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Tamiya went for green, as do most other model kit makers

1629820201440.png

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Ask me nicely and I'll try to get you a picture of JE-J at Coningsby tomorrow.

PFGEN

GCM
@PFGEN if this is your thing very happy to pass on.
Happy to give it a good home if there are no other takers. Had a look at the Amazon preview. Some decent pictures in there and some good shots of the Spits in wartime conditions. Seems to have been a project of his granddaughter which is a great way to put something meaningful together for the family in the years down the line. One of my relatives did something similar for a branch of our family. Gave a whole raft of stories passed down a new meaning.

PFGEN

GCM
Thanks to @Auld-Yin the book on Johnnie Johnson arrived in the post. I can understand it not being everybody's cup of tea but it is still a fascinating collection of photos, almost a time capsule of that period in the forties. There are enough photos of Johnson's various Spitfires to keep the fans happy. The photos are as they were taken at the time, no photoshop or cleaned up aircraft just for the photo.

While thumbing through the pictures I managed to find one of a distant family relative which was a Brucie bonus.

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
My host at Conningsby refused to let me take a photo "for security reasons" as I was inside the wire. However, the Spitfire on show isn't one of Johnnie's. it's a "replica" being a later model that he never actually flew. However, for info, here's a shot I was allowed to take of the inside of the BBMF hangar:
1632525319684.png

Last edited:

PFGEN

GCM
My host at Conningsby refused to let me take a photo "for security reasons" as I was inside th ewire. However, the Spitfire on show isn't one of Johnnie's. it's a "replica" being a later model that he never actually flew. However, for info, here's a shot I was allowed to take of the inside of the BBMF hangar:
View attachment 606415
Awe, ma wee beauties, all lovingly cared for. Good picture.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
There's another row on the left. Goodness knows how much that lot is worth!

PFGEN

GCM
There's another row on the left. Goodness knows how much that lot is worth!

Priceless as far as I'm concerned. They do have a MkII which is the only flying example of a Spit that saw combat during the BoB which is probably as close as it comes. The rest probably not so, but properly cared for will be flying for some time to come.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
11116417_10208450487289158_4049206559572853128_o.jpg
12186681_10208450478008926_5736919814512373110_o.jpg

Slightly off topic but some of mine from BBMF in the past.
12186685_10208450476768895_2653890805132773343_o.jpg

Attachments

• 12196317_10208450914059827_3171245309362469395_n.jpg
    12196317_10208450914059827_3171245309362469395_n.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1

Latest Threads