Spirometer test... Help!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Grainsifter, Mar 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i've just been informed by AFCIO that before i can continue with my application for the regs i have to go down to ADSC and have a spirometer test done, if i pass this then i'll stay at ADSC and continue with selection. From what i know this is to test your lung capacity but i was wondering if anyone could give me some more information about the actual test. As regards my fitness i did both the BPFA and CFT with the TA over the weekend and didnt have any problems and my run time for the 1.5 mile run is now 9:58. i know i'm probably worrying about nothing but any more info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

2. Don't know the answer, but you can practice by blowing into a used kitchen roll tube. Taking a deep breath beforehand may help....

Edited to add: "taking a deep breath IN"

3. I'm not a medic and am only going on my recent personal experience of the army deciding I may have asthma when joining the TA.
    The spirometer test I did considered of me blowing into the spirometer which drew a graph of the result and then carrying out exercise
    on a treadmill bringing my heartrate up to 200 (according to the medic its a different level for each individual but its generally 220 minus your age)
    and holding it there for a couple of minutes. Then I blew into the spirometer at intervals and the results were also recorded on the graph.
    This test appears to be described in this link which concerns fire service medical standards.

I don't know if it will be the same process for you but hopefully this might give you an idea. Good luck with the test!

4. Grainsifter

dont panic - its just like a police breathyliser without the light green/amber/red lights.

All you have to do is blow until you are told to stop - blow hard and fast from the start - the important thing is to keep up the 'pressure' of blowing out. even when you think your lungs are empty - keep pushing. if you dont blow hard from the start - or dont keep up the pressure, youre score will be poor

The graph that the machine draws gives a mathematical representation of your lung capacity.