Spine Races 2022

Another thanks for taking the time to do a write up ... " Runners Collitis " must be the Ultra Endurance Entrants version of the " Bombay Trots " ... wishing you a speedy recovery

Yes sort of

Runner’s colitis is thought to be due to compromised blood flow to the intestines during exercise. Most reported cases occur with prolonged or very intense exercise.

I just had digestion problems

Well there is always next year ??

High on the Hill

Yes sort of

Runner’s colitis is thought to be due to compromised blood flow to the intestines during exercise. Most reported cases occur with prolonged or very intense exercise.

I just had digestion problems

Well there is always next year ??

High on the Hill

Every day is a learning day .

Well I am back now

First day reasonable with a couple of minor navigation errors

Day 2 started ok and felt ok at the Cowling pop up - Craven Triathlete club monitoring point had tea bacon butty and some tinned peaches

However by Lotherdale I was not feeling to well - didn't fell like eating at the Pub just a drink of fruit juice - started to to get a some stomach pain and reflux / burping / belching even when drinking small amounts of water or eating

I carried lots of different food but none appealed to me

That persisted and after PyG didn't have sufficient in the tank

Got taken by car to CP 2 and the medics thought that I was dehydrated so kept forcing me water, I stayed overnight Monday and was fortunate to get a lift back to my car at Edale

Drove to Buxton and booked into a hotel overnight

Drove home 200 miles the following day

Thursday still felling shit at 21:00 rang 111 and advised to go to the A & E at the local Hospital so drove 20 miles and then spent 18 hours in hospital - had ECG - Ultra Scan of stomach and various intravenous drugs

Discharged with probable "Runners Colitis"

Went to work on Saturday had a bit of a period of weakness mid day but ok after that - my first full day of normal eating I have probably lost about 3/4 st since last Saturday

I can however recommend intravenous paracetamol if every you are in hospital

I have been given some medication to sort out my stomach - which I think I shredded on the first day

High on the Hill

Thanks for the report! You still managed 90 miles! Certainly been at the “don’t want to eat or drink anything” stage. Trouble is it’s just downhill from there.

Now you have a year to sort your nutrition/hydration plan out…

Mind you, it is just possible that I may have signed up to run the Welsh 3000s on 3rd September this year. Possibly after a beer or two too many one evening.

I’ve really got to kick this habit of entering ultra-marathons when pissed!

wheel

LE
Mind you, it is just possible that I may have signed up to run the Welsh 3000s on 3rd September this year. Possibly after a beer or two too many one evening.

I’ve really got to kick this habit of entering ultra-marathons when pissed!
How pissed were you ?. I,ve just been reading the route and I,m knackered.

Summer 2023 - as at 16:00 today

Spine 56/150 = 94 left
Northern Challenger 18/100 = 82 left
Southern Challenger 33/150 = 117 left
Sprint 100/100 = Sold Out

Booking only opened yesterday for the Sprint and today for the remainder

Sprint £125
Challenger South £375
Challenger North £500
Spine £825

150 x 825 £123,750

150 x 500 £75,000
100 x 125 £12,500

£267,500.00 in entry fees if all places taken before the start of the race, nice business

previously after a certain date (I think March) the entry fee increased so it was cheaper to sign up early, I think that is no longer the case

High on the Hill

High on the Hill

Any Arrsers entering?

This time I will do a bit of cheering runners on from the sidelines, but that’s it.

unless I drink to much beer this weekend, in which case all bets are off!

wheel

LE
Any Arrsers entering?

This time I will do a bit of cheering runners on from the sidelines, but that’s it.

I will think about volunteering if they ever get around to sending me that elusive T shirt :)

Any Arrsers entering?

I’m at the point where I think I could have a realistic go at the Sprint. Regrettably I work on a fixed roster, and can see that the 2023 race falls right in the middle of a work shift. If I’m still going strong in a years time, I may very well take some unpaid leave for those 2 weeks and have a crack at the 2024.

I’m at the point where I think I could have a realistic go at the Sprint. Regrettably I work on a fixed roster, and can see that the 2023 race falls right in the middle of a work shift. If I’m still going strong in a years time, I may very well take some unpaid leave for those 2 weeks and have a crack at the 2024.

I‘m not going to lie - it was bloody hard. But I would thoroughly recommend it. It was a tough day, but at the same time it was so worthwhile. I made some good friends along the way, and crossing that finishing line, even after “only” 46 miles was such a wonderful feeling. No matter the hardships along the way, I look back at it now with only good memories.

Also, don’t forget that you will be likely to be cheered on by a rag-tag bunch of Arrsers from the sidelines. I had @wheel and @CivvyLurker . You would probably have those two plus me!

That’s motivation in itself! 2 years away yet anyway. And I am an ex-Crab, hopefully won’t make too much difference, perhaps just the tone of the “Encouragement”….

I am seriously considering the Challenger South again

My current work contract ends the first week of Jan by which time I will be on my way to 71 years old, so I may not renew - National Insurance kicks in for over 65`s so paying more tax no - so may revert back to being retired

That will give me time for some training

Although the Sprint has sold out it will be interesting to see the volume of entries for the other races, it is an expensive game with mandatory kit / accommodation / transport if doing any recces then additional expense, in the current economic situation signing now to race next year is a very big commitment

High on the Hill

I am seriously considering the Challenger South again

My current work contract ends the first week of Jan by which time I will be on my way to 71 years old, so I may not renew - National Insurance kicks in for over 65`s so paying more tax no - so may revert back to being retired

That will give me time for some training

Although the Sprint has sold out it will be interesting to see the volume of entries for the other races, it is an expensive game with mandatory kit / accommodation / transport if doing any recces then additional expense, in the current economic situation signing now to race next year is a very big commitment

High on the Hill

I can only hope that by the time I get to 70 I can still keep going to the level you are running at. An inspiration to us all.

OK, so I have filled in the form to volunteer on the Spine Race in January 23. If I am not selected I will just turn up as a spectator somewhere along the route.

Latest Threads