Spine Races 2022

I did 20 miles on the Pennine Way today and it nearly killed me. He did THREE HUNDRED and twenty miles while smashing lumps off the record. Incredible.

@wheel I did Edale train station to Snake Pass and back again today. Made it to Snake Pass in 2 hours 15. The whole round trip, including a stop at Snake Pass for a sandwich, took 4 hours 55.

I was hobbling badly by the end!

wheel

LE
@wheel I did Edale train station to Snake Pass and back again today. Made it to Snake Pass in 2 hours 15. The whole round trip, including a stop at Snake Pass for a sandwich, took 4 hours 55.

I was hobbling badly by the end!
Well done mate that is pretty impressive. I went camping with some fellow arrsers and drank far too much beer.

Our Jasmine Paris was interviewed on the Runner's World podcast. She's gone all Greta on us.

She did the "fun run" at the Barkley Marathons too:

And also John Kelly was at the 2022 Barkleys and, to use his own words, found a new way to fail:

wheel

LE
Just had a reminder from Spine HQ that I can still apply for the summer Spine race. Think I will wander down the pub and think about it :)

Get your name down!

I did another 12 and a half miles on the Pennine Way this morning (M62 to just past Warland Reservoir and back) and I have now recce’d every inch of the Spine Sprint course. It’s a bloody long way!

Last edited:

wheel

LE
That would be great. Hopefully see you then
Hi Mate, despite my best laid plans I cant get up to Keswick this weekend. Cassie our rescue hound has come into season. Probably not the best idea to take her into an area where there will be lots of frisky dogs.

Hi Mate, despite my best laid plans I cant get up to Keswick this weekend. Cassie our rescue hound has come into season. Probably not the best idea to take her into an area where there will be lots of frisky dogs.

I hope you’re not suggesting that I would do anything indecent to your hound? I demand satisfaction - and not in the sexual sense!

But no worries. I shall just have to slog round it without the huge crowd I was expecting to cheer me on. Have a good weekend!

wheel

LE
I hope you’re not suggesting that I would do anything indecent to your hound? I demand satisfaction - and not in the sexual sense!

But no worries. I shall just have to slog round it without the huge crowd I was expecting to cheer me on. Have a good weekend!
@Ravers only lives over the hill perhaps he could stand in for me.

Spotted this morning on FB. Best of luck to him.

Screenshot_2022-05-21-13-56-35-44_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Well ….

OK, I suppose. I did Crowden to Wessenden Head and back on Sunday (14 miles) in an overall time that - if I could keep it up for just over three times the distance - would see me finishing in about 12 and a half hours. I think it’s highly unlikely I’ll be anything like that fast. Cut off is 18 hours.

So overall I have recce’d Edale to Wessenden Head so far, and have the rest to do yet.

I did twenty miles in total over the weekend because I ran six on Saturday as well. Took yesterday off, just been out and done a three mile jog.

I actually left my map and compass and most of my nutrition on the kitchen table when I went up on Sunday (doh!) but thankfully it’s a simple enough section and I had read it up and map recce’d it sufficiently to get up and back without any trouble.

Did I mention that a few weeks ago, quite possibly having imbibed an over-generous amount of alcohol, I entered the Keswick Mountain Festival 50k ultra which takes place in May? Should be a nice little warm up event!

(Note to self: stay away from the internet when pissed!)

Missed you were doing this. Was down your way last weekend, did the The Lap once-round-Windermere race.

Forget what a beautiful bit of the country it is. You’ll be well on your way round by now, if not already finished even, but have a good one/hope you had a good one!

Hi all, thanks for the good wishes. I completed my first ever ultra today, aged 61. The Keswick Mountain Festival 50k trail ultra. It‘s not actually 50k, it’s 54 the lying barstewards! I was hoping to get round the 50k in 8 hours. I’m waiting for the official results but I think I did the 54 in about 8:10. That will do for me!

My feet and knees are now in absolute agony. I’m in my B&B, having showered and changed, and I want to go for a beer or several, but I really don’t want to take another step! Its a conundrum, and that’s for sure, although I think my inner squaddie will have the answer!

Summer Spine Sprint in less than a month!

Hi all, thanks for the good wishes. I completed my first ever ultra today, aged 61. The Keswick Mountain Festival 50k trail ultra. It‘s not actually 50k, it’s 54 the lying barstewards! I was hoping to get round the 50k in 8 hours. I’m waiting for the official results but I think I did the 54 in about 8:10. That will do for me!

My feet and knees are now in absolute agony. I’m in my B&B, having showered and changed, and I want to go for a beer or several, but I really don’t want to take another step! Its a conundrum, and that’s for sure, although I think my inner squaddie will have the answer!

Summer Spine Sprint in less than a month!

Well done! Very well done! You'll be walking down/up the stairs backwards tomorrow! I always used to sit in a cold bath drinking coke and eating salt and vinegar crisps! I'll not post pics of my heels that split, but it wasn't nice! I hope you are faring better and have a pint on us and put it on @wheel account ! :)