Spine Races 2022

Simon Ridley under 10 miles to do. Harriet and Karl just over the Schil. All downhill from there (nearly!).

Things seem to be improving for Simon Ridley as he isn't far from the turn to Hut2.
I have been following him most of the day ... he had a bad patch couple of km SW of Hut 1 ... he now seems to be steadily plodding on and as you post getting quite close to Hut 2 .

Entering represents a huge commitment - Physical - emotional and financial commitment

Cost to enter I expect Spine 2023 will be a 1k entry fee
Equipment - lightweight - spares for the drop bag ££££
Training - if possible on the Pennie Way - Recces
Transport to and from Start / Finish KY is a transport black hole if you bail out generally you get taken to your drop bag - the next CP up the line - you then have to make your own way from there, CP Hebden / Hawes reasonable -Middleton in Tees Dufton Alston Bellingham not so easy

The Spine previously ran a training weekend, however poor take up meant that this was cancelled

It is a substantial commitment

High on the Hill

Last edited:

wheel

LE
I have been following him most of the day ... he had a bad patch couple of km SW of Hut 1 ... he now seems to be steadily plodding on and as you post getting quite close to Hut 2 .
He has 30 min credit for helping an injured runner. He should make Hut 2 in the next 30 minutes or so. If he has a bit of a rest and cracks on he should make last orders at the Border.
Any way thanks to everyone for the great posts. If any of you come across any of the competitors blogs please put the on here. I am going over to Hayfield now to have a few beers at the Sportsman. Then a bimble around Kinder tomorrow.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
There have been a number of occasions over the last ten years where the weather at the start of the race over Kinder and Bleaklow has been one of the biggest cause of retirements.
Yep.

That first 30 - 40 miles is the worst bit by a long way.

You’ve basically got a 3 or 4 mile climb up a giant staircase and then miles of wading through waist deep peat bog in honking wind and sideways rain.

Then it’s steady away, walking through a shin deep stream with ankle breaking rocks along the entire way.

Definitely enough to make sap your morale and make you want to go home.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
These were taken on the top of Kinder Scout. The water you can see behind me is actually a small waterfall. The wind was so strong it was literally blowing the waterfall back up the hill.

I’ve honestly never seen weather like it. The wind was so loud it sounded like we were being buzzed by fighter jets.

And this is just the beginning of the course.
47B71A78-7A41-416E-BA6D-C02C59F3B7EE.jpeg
A9E27A7A-147B-460B-A6CF-E584AE0831A5.jpeg

Then a bimble around Kinder tomorrow.

I’m thinking of doing the same. But it’s two hours drive from me to Edale. But if I can be arsed to get up at 05:30 and drive away at 06:00 I may drive up to Edale and then run up the PW for a couple of hours, then turn round and run back to Edale. Plan would be to get up towards Snake Pass Before turning round.

Timings will be tight though, because I have to get back home to visit my aged mother in her care home.

Simon Ridley nearly at Hut 2. Good news. Get in there, get a good rest and some scoff, then 7 miles of (mainly, standfast the Schil) downhill. Got all night now. 14 hours with his 30 mins credit.

CivviWalker

War Hero
These were taken on the top of Kinder Scout. The water you can see behind me is actually a small waterfall. The wind was so strong it was literally blowing the waterfall back up the hill.

I’ve honestly never seen weather like it. The wind was so loud it sounded like we were being buzzed by fighter jets.

View attachment 631660View attachment 631661

The waterfall blowing backwards is quite a common sight on Kinder when you get a strong westerly.The weather on the Pennine Way in general can be a beast,even in summer when hypothermia can soon set in.People would be better off walking the route in spring/summer and getting an idea of what its like before signing up for what could be a foreteaste of hell.

Simon Ridley nearly at Hut 2. Good news. Get in there, get a good rest and some scoff, then 7 miles of (mainly, standfast the Schil) downhill. Got all night now. 14 hours with his 30 mins credit.

it took him some time to complete the climb past King's Seat and Hanging Stone but I bet he got a bit of a spring back in his step when he turned the definite corner and started heading NW towards Hut 2 ,

Indeed, they will have safety numbers at checkpoints and random spots along the route (usually road crossings) plus a few teams of sweepers.

When I did it, there were three of us in my sweeper team including a doctor. We followed the route keeping behind the last runner, scooping anyone up along the way who was in trouble. We carried emergency kit including a defibrillator.

Our routine was a leg then rest, a leg then rest. So we would essentially do half the route but with nice long breaks between each leg.

The weather was absolutely horrendous. The wind was so strong it was blowing the rain upwards. I’ve never been out in weather like that.

That was the year I went to Edale for the start. This is actually a colour photo I took on Edale Station on the way home.

View attachment 631660View attachment 631661

I went over to Edale for the start that year but missed you as you had set off before I got there from memory.

I took this at Edale station on the way home. It's actually a colour photo. I don't remember weather like that and I like going out there when I know a storm is coming in.
edale-station-crop.jpg

There are a few others on here that I posted at the time. The sunshine in the pics says we are lying about just how bad it was but the wind was so strong you could be in near darkness and then bright sunlight within a few seconds

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
That was the year I went to Edale for the start. This is actually a colour photo I took on Edale Station on the way home.

I went over to Edale for the start that year but missed you as you had set off before I got there from memory.

I took this at Edale station on the way home. It's actually a colour photo. I don't remember weather like that and I like going out there when I know a storm is coming in.
View attachment 631674

There are a few others on here that I posted at the time. The sunshine in the pics says we are lying about just how bad it was but the wind was so strong you could be in near darkness and then bright sunlight within a few seconds
That’s right. I think we’d planned to meet up but I ended up having to head out early to sweep the Challenger (which started at 6 or 7am) and not the main race which got delayed and started a lot later.

CivviWalker

War Hero

View attachment 631674

2015. I think the wind was even worse later in the week (Tue?).That night I went into the garden to check for damage and wondered how anyone could walk in it as it was howling like a banshee and when it rained it was like solid sheets coming down.

2015. I think the wind was even worse later in the week (Tue?).That night I went into the garden to check for damage and wondered how anyone could walk in it as it was howling like a banshee and when it rained it was like solid sheets coming down.

The storm we had a few weeks ago didn't have that much power where I live. The only storm that has come close to that storm in 2015 was a couple of years ago when I was going a job in Manchester. Driving back to Sheffield via Stockport in a blizzard, 90+ MPH winds and thunder snow was interesting,

Latest Threads