Spine Races 2022

an!

Old-Salt
Former back marker 326 Phil Clarke is a couple of miles out from KY, having overtaken a dozen people since Dufton. I'm guessing this is largely due to him maintaining pace while others fade, rather than him speeding up significantly.

Asking for a friend…

Do you have to qualify for the Spine Race (a la Western States etc), or can any old bugger apply?

an!

Old-Salt
Anyone can apply but you have to state your experience in Running Ultras etc. If you are not sufficiently experienced and proficient you will not be accepted.

It's not clear how high the bar is. I don't think there have been any obvious cases in the last few years, however in the past there were people who (judging by their tracker movements, pre-race FB postings and previous races) were completely out of their depth.

IMHO extensive hill walking/backpacking experience is probably more useful than only having run ultras on well-defined trails with frequent checkpoints.

wheel

LE
It's not clear how high the bar is. I don't think there have been any obvious cases in the last few years, however in the past there were people who (judging by their tracker movements, pre-race FB postings and previous races) were completely out of their depth.

IMHO extensive hill walking/backpacking experience is probably more useful than only having run ultras on well-defined trails with frequent checkpoints.
Whole Heartedly agree with you on this.

So what you’re saying is that “he’s” got a chance…

wheel

LE
Wiebke Lammers has just finished with Jane Hilton about 10 - 15 minutes or so behind her.

Edit to add last lady Harriet Shields at Hut 2

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In years gone by they have had a safety sweeper team @Ravers volunteered one year. It was pretty bogging IIRC.
Indeed, they will have safety numbers at checkpoints and random spots along the route (usually road crossings) plus a few teams of sweepers.

When I did it, there were three of us in my sweeper team including a doctor. We followed the route keeping behind the last runner, scooping anyone up along the way who was in trouble. We carried emergency kit including a defibrillator.

Our routine was a leg then rest, a leg then rest. So we would essentially do half the route but with nice long breaks between each leg.

The weather was absolutely horrendous. The wind was so strong it was blowing the rain upwards. I’ve never been out in weather like that.

wheel

LE
Perhaps best to try the Sprint first and see if they like it.Last weeks race had more to do with an assault course than a running race.
There have been a number of occasions over the last ten years where the weather at the start of the race over Kinder and Bleaklow has been one of the biggest cause of retirements.

I had not noticed that. I wonder who will be doing the washing when they get home ;)

If he's had any sense he has washed her stuff before: making sure to shrink it, mixing colours and whites, and then sticking it in the dryer on the hottest, nuclear setting ever to ensure it does shrink and goes brittle. The argument and cost is worth it as it is a one time hit. Allegedly. :)

Asking for a friend…

Do you have to qualify for the Spine Race (a la Western States etc), or can any old bugger apply?

to quote the website

We want you to be safe out there and experience of similar challenges will make you safer. These aren’t beginner friendly races.

This experience can be drawn from various sources and is not limited to ultra or multi-stage events. Mountain marathons, adventure races, orienteering events, fell races, expeditions or challenges like the Bob Graham Round or similar are are looked on favourably. Long distance walking is also extremely beneficial and you may find yourself doing a lot of this! The more a challenge features mountainous terrain, cold, moorland and elements of navigation the better. Mountain Leaders, Winter Mountain Leaders, Mountain Rescue Team members, mountaineers, active and former Armed Forces personnel will likely all have the experience necessary, too.

If you feel you have skills or experience not mentioned here, include it in your application. We are also very happy to advise those who feel they don’t yet have the experience level required, on what races, challenges or experiences they could do to gain entry.

High on the hill

I like how it says “former Armed Forces personnel” and not “ex-military”. Means us Crabs can have a go too….

If he's had any sense he has washed her stuff before: making sure to shrink it, mixing colours and whites, and then sticking it in the dryer on the hottest, nuclear setting ever to ensure it does shrink and goes brittle. The argument and cost is worth it as it is a one time hit. Allegedly. :)
There speaks an experienced married man.

Me. Been there, done that, shrunk the T shirt, taken the grief.:(