Spine Races 2022

18 miles for the back marker Simon Ridley, 16 for Harriet and Karl Shields, and 22.5 hours to do it in. Sounds easy…..

They have been blessed with the weather, missed the horrendous weather last Saturday and have mostly clear days albeit with some frost and fog in places

A high success rate this year ?

High on the Hill
I make it 73 finished or still going, 48 retired, so that’s seems pretty high. Not sure what the usual rate is.

The back marker 413 Simon Ridley seems to be making very slow progress at the moment across what is a relatively level part of ground just after the PW / Dere Street intersection .

ETA his pace seems to have picked up .

Last edited:

an!

Old-Salt
Yes the main race (and also challenger North) had pretty good weather this year, while the Challenger and sprint were at the other end of the scale…

The main race had the usual, fairly large, drop out rate in the first 2 stages, but after that there were relatively few. And the Challenger North has a really high completion rate. I think that was partly weather and partly because a lot of the entrants had past Spine experience.

wheel

LE
Yes the main race (and also challenger North) had pretty good weather this year, while the Challenger and sprint were at the other end of the scale…

The main race had the usual, fairly large, drop out rate in the first 2 stages, but after that there were relatively few. And the Challenger North has a really high completion rate. I think that was partly weather and partly because a lot of the entrants had past Spine experience.
Thanks @an! I have enjoyed your posts and the knowledge that you have brought to this thread. Weather last Saturday was horrendous at the start. Ladybower reservoir below Kinder Scout does not often get to capacity it did this week.

Last edited:

an!

Old-Salt
And thanks from me to everyone here for the dot watching company. I keep coming back every year, because the dot watching commentary and discussion is so much better informed than anywhere else (including not just the official race FB group but also even the organisers FB page…). And I get to obsess (and relive past ‘glory’…) without boring my OH, and anyone else I meet during the week, to death.

I have walked the PW once … many years ago using Wainright , map and compass and when there were many more YHA Hostels still open on the route … my pace was definitely much more leisurely . I have revisited some sections but my forte is the Cheviot Hills and I used to know parts like the back of my hand until my son read me the “ Gypsy’s Warning “ a couple of years ago .

I take particular enjoyment out of the fact in my inner eye I can still picture locations and even remember an event when a “ blob “ arrives at that location . Further even after many years of following this event on ARRSE I am still astounded at the speed of covering ground … regardless of conditions . Watching this event is compulsive .

I say this every year but I really mean it … I raise my hat to all who have the fitness , grit and determination to enter any of the Spine events … and congratulations to all of those who have successfully completed .

Last edited:
Simon Ridley is moving very slowly. Just under 3.5 miles in about 4 hours. At that pace he might just make it, but it will be getting dark in about 4 hours.

Last Lady Harriet Shields now at Windy Gyle . @Border_Reiver favorite viewing point. I must make time to camp over at Barrow Burn and have a walk over there in the next couple of months.
About 12 miles to go from there (according to MapMyRun!). Barring catastrophe they should make it.

an!

Old-Salt
Simon Ridley is moving very slowly. Just under 3.5 miles in about 4 hours. At that pace he might just make it, but it will be getting dark in about 4 hours.

Looking at the tracker pings he didn't stop for long (or possibly at all) at the Lamb Hill refuge hut, which suggests a physical problem rather than just sleep deprivation. These days I think there's usually a safety team stationed in the refuge hut (when the back of the field pass through at least) so I expect they'll be keeping a close eye on him.

wheel

LE
Looking at the tracker pings he didn't stop for long (or possibly at all) at the Lamb Hill refuge hut, which suggests a physical problem rather than just sleep deprivation. These days I think there's usually a safety team stationed in the refuge hut (when the back of the field pass through at least) so I expect they'll be keeping a close eye on him.
In years gone by they have had a safety sweeper team @Ravers volunteered one year. It was pretty bogging IIRC.

an!

Old-Salt
About 12 miles to go from there (according to MapMyRun!). Barring catastrophe they should make it.

There have been various DNFs in the last 10 miles over the years. But in this case (given their experience, and the way they've paced the race) I agree it would take something unexpected and catastrophic.

Last edited: