Spine Races 2022

wheel

LE
There are 16 competitors coming over the Cheviots and about 20 competitors in or approaching Bellingham. So the next 20 hours or so is going to be busy at KY. Get clapping and cheering

Well 631 Mike Abel has made hard work of finding the PW after leaving Cottonshope Road ... I am sure we have all had similar problems at night or in adverse weather .

Wdr 1.jpg

Well 631 Mike Abel has made hard work of finding the PW after leaving Cottonshope Road ... I am sure we have all had similar problems at night or in adverse weather .

View attachment 631429
It does look like navigation is not his his forte. he also got temporarily misplaced at Cargrave and had a little explore at Walshshaw Dean reservoirs. Tech is not my forte, otherwise I would have put up screen shots.

CivviWalker

War Hero
[/QUOTE]

View attachment 631429

I had similar problems in the Cheviots in fog at Coquet head.

Karl and Harriet Shields are near to Bellingham,just a short walk along the road.They are allowed three hours here before they are forced to leave.

Last edited:
16 competitors Zzzzz at Bellingham.
How do they work out who leaves on which transport? Do they do it in the same order as people arrived, or do competitors “book” transport at a time of their own choosing, depending on how much kip they want?

PFGEN

GCM
How do they work out who leaves on which transport? Do they do it in the same order as people arrived, or do competitors “book” transport at a time of their own choosing, depending on how much kip they want?

Quite a few to be transported in the next hour.

an!

Old-Salt

Earlier on in the race someone ‘on the ground’ mentioned booking transport, and there being 2 cars available for 2 people who’d been running together. However it‘ll be different for the masses. Lots of people are on the move right now, but the different tracker ‘ping’ times make it impossible to work out how many vehicles they’re spread across.

PFGEN

GCM
RAF? Surely it’s the ability to lift their overnight bag into the boot of the taxi, and to be able to walk from said taxi into the foyer of the hotel for their overnight stay.

Mind you, even if they are not up to that it may well be that they still pass if they can summon the hotel porter to manage it for them!

Excuse me! The hotel porter is the default option. If there's no porter we have the driver take us somewhere more civilised. I expect to collect my key at reception, exchange a few pleasantries with the manager while he informs us of what chef is preparing for dinner. By the time I reach the room I expect my portmanteau to have been setup, suitable evening attire laid out ready and a lightly iced G&T awaiting my attention. The adjutant will enter and we'll review important aspects of the deployment such as the location of the golf club, the weekend regatta, and possibly an embassy soiree. Just because we've been deployed to some location full of furrin johnnies does not mean that standards should not be maintained.

an!

Old-Salt
Getting as much sleep as possible at Bellingham is probably a smart move for the back of the pack this year. The time pressure is now off, and an extra hours rest could make a significant difference to moving speed over the Cheviots.

an!

Old-Salt
Everybody is back on the hill again for the final push. Looks like 330 and 349 are having a sleep in the woods.

That’s a smart move if they’re suffering from lack of sleep. Those woods are probably a better spot than anywhere else they’ll pass (apart from the refuge huts, which could get over crowded).

PFGEN

GCM
That’s a smart move if they’re suffering from lack of sleep. Those woods are probably a better spot than anywhere else they’ll pass (apart from the refuge huts, which could get over crowded).

Looks like 423 has heard your advice. Good to bed down where there's some natural shelter.

Latest Threads