Spine Races 2022

wheel

LE
Its only 6-7 weeks until we can all start blob watching again or even get out onto the hills and cheer the competitors on. There are a number of new races see news letter below. First Race Challenger starts Saturday 8th January 07:00 hrs with the main Spine Race Starting Sunday 9th at 08:00. Plus the Summer series with our very own @schweik running. @High on the hill are you taking part this year ?.

Our 2022 Winter Spine, Spine Challenger and Spine Sprint races are now sold out. However, there's still chance to grab a place on our brand new Spine Challenger North.
The Montane Spine Challenger North takes place along 160 miles of the iconic Pennine Way - from Hawes to Kirk Yetholm. For those who have already completed the Spine Challenger, this new race provides an opportunity to take on the northern section of the full race route. With 108 hours to complete the race, the Spine Challenger North will test your resolve and give you the experience you want from a Spine race.

Grab yourself a place on Britain's Most Brutal race series now!

We are proud to introduce a new race for 2022, The Montane Spine Challenger North will take you from Hawes to Kirk Yetholm. That’s 160 miles. You will have 108 hrs to complete. For those who have completed the Spine Challenger, this gives an opportunity to take on the northern section of the full race route, slightly more exposed than the southern section, the Challenger North will test you and give you the experience you want from a Spine race.

@CivvyLurker @CivviWalker @Sir Arthur @Border_Reiver @postman_tw@t @06FA56Paderborn @Falling Plate @Archibald

I’m planning on heading up to Snake Pass in January to see the leading athletes come through. From there I’m heading up north and intend to be at the finish for when the winner gets in.

wheel

LE
Quick Update from Spine HQ.

FOUR WEEKS TO GO

The Montane Spine Races 2022 begin on 8th January 2022
This is the 10 year anniversary of the Spine and after missing out on our winter races in 2021 we're ready for adventure.
Alongside the fully sold-out Montane Spine Race, Montane Spine Challenger, and MRT Challenge, we have two new races for you to dot-watch at home.
January will see the first-ever running of the Montane Spine Challenger - North and the first winter running of the Montane Spine Sprint.
The fields are STACKED with past winners, course-record holders, and athletes with massive FKTs on their CVs.
In the main race alone you'll find the likes of Damian Hall, Sabrina Verjee, Eoin Keith, Kim Collison, Tom Hollins, Doug Zinis, Debbie Martin-Consani, and Anna Troup to name just a few.
This promises to be the BIGGEST year yet for #BritainsMostBrutal race and as always, you can watch all the action unfold on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as well as following the live GPS tracker on our website.
Happy dot-watching.

MONTANE SPINE VIRTUAL RACE
After the success of last year's virtual race, which saw hundreds of runners tackle the Spine Race distance from home whilst the Pandemic kept us from racing on the Pennine Way, we're bringing the event back for January 2022. Whilst the Spiner racers are out on the course, you can take on your own challenge from wherever you are in the world.
This year you have the option of taking on your chosen distance over the whole of the month of January or you can 'Race the Racers' and attempt to cover the distance within the real race time limits.
There are medals and buffs available for participants and we'll be running in support of the Pennine Way National Trail Partnership.
Learn more about the Virtual Spine Race below.
MONTANE Virtaul Spine Race
MONTANE® SPINE KIT BUILDER
Our friends at Montane have put their heads together and come up with a page full of kit ideal for Spine Race participants. Whether you're running an event with us in January or just enjoying your time out in the Pennines, Spine Kit Builder will help you select the kit you need to keep yous safe.
Try the MONTANE® Spine Race Kit Builder here: www.montane.com/pages/spine-race-kit
See you in January.
Spine HQ

CivviWalker

War Hero
In four weeks time we might possibly be at the peak of this new covid wave.No one really knows what is going to happen in terms of hospital admissions so there could be more restrictions such as sporting events being cancelled and indoor gatherings being limited.I hope the race goes ahead but its going to be difficult to run with social distancing restrictions.

I understand that there is also significant damage to the route in places like Wark and Kielder forests in the aftermath of Storm Arwen. I don’t know the extent of it, but I was up running in the Scottish Highlands this last weekend and forestry blocks were basically impassable. They could put diversions in place, although if the geographical extent of the damage is too great that may be very difficult in terms of agreements with landowners, and marking and disseminating the route in the time available. There may also be safety issues.

I do hope that it does go ahead, but I reckon there must be quite a lot of head scratching going in in respect of both the Covid situation and the condition of the route.

From the Forestry England Facebook Page:

Latest update on Forestry England access trails @ Kielder

Our crews continue to work on opening up forest roads across Kielder and wider Northumberland- it is clear this is going to be a long ongoing recovery process and take months more than weeks.

The good news is before Christmas we hope to have a couple of circular routes for access at Kielder Water & Forest Park open (around 3-5 miles each) and also a couple of longer walking routes incl the Kielder Forest Drive open (12 miles long) for non vehicle access.

We will be updating on here and on Visit Kielder on what we do have open again Friday by 17th December.

Yesterday we are delighted to share the forest road to the Kielder Observatory was opened up again and the Observatory will be open for the 1st time since storm Arwen this evening- please note this is for pre-booked visitors.

Walkers, cyclists and horse riders can also use this route from today 10/12/2021 but we ask that you don't stray from the direct route to the Kielder Skyspace / Observatory as there are many blocked areas following the storm on all roads and trails surrounding.

The Skyspace car park is also open again for visitors and Skyspace lighting has also been repaired.

Sadly Lonesome Pine mtb trail is looking to be severally affected and we cannot even begin to estimate how long before tree clearance can work on this trail- at this time we think this is most likely to be the worst affected trail.

Sidwood Forest walks are also severely blocked with trees across and also large areas of snapped and hung up trees and sadly this is another set of forest walks it will take months to get to start clearing.

We continue to ask to not visit Kielder Water & Forest Park at this time to go looking for wider access as there are still 100's of trees with weakened roots which can topple over with the slightest wind.
We are still coming across freshly fallen trees daily at the moment.

Again thanks to all the crews and also thanks to you all for being patient- this is going to be a long recovery but the great news is today we have the road to the Observatory open again!

wheel

LE
In four weeks time we might possibly be at the peak of this new covid wave.No one really knows what is going to happen in terms of hospital admissions so there could be more restrictions such as sporting events being cancelled and indoor gatherings being limited.I hope the race goes ahead but its going to be difficult to run with social distancing restrictions.
None of us can predict the future. We will just have to wait and see.

wheel

LE
Latest update

The Montane Spine Races 2022 begin on 8th January, so we are now just THREE WEEKS away from unleashing our runners onto the Pennine Way.​

As usual, our media team will be out in the field, following the action, day and night, and with probably the strongest field of runners the race has ever hosted we're sure there'll be plenty of triumph and drama for you to follow at home.
This promises to be the BIGGEST year yet for #BritainsMostBrutal race and as always, you can follow live on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as well as following the GPS tracker on our website.
MONTANE SPINE JACKET COMPETITION
To coincide with the 10 year anniversary of the race, MONTANE has launched a competition where you could win a coveted Montane Spine Jacket, a lightweight and breathable waterproof made for ultra runners, and one of the key pieces in the Montane Spine Kit Builder.
Click on the button below and enter before the 16th January (the end of the 2022 races) to be in with a chance of grabbing this kit!
MONTANE Spine Jacket Competition
MONTANE SPINE VIRTUAL RACE
After the success of last year's virtual race, which saw hundreds of runners tackle the Spine Race distance from home whilst the Pandemic kept us from racing on the Pennine Way, we're bringing the event back for January 2022. Whilst the Spiner racers are out on the course, you can take on your own challenge from wherever you are in the world.
This year you have the option of taking on your chosen distance over the whole of the month of January or you can 'Race the Racers' and attempt to cover the distance within the real race time limits.
There are medals and buffs available for participants and we'll be running in support of the Pennine Way National Trail Partnership.
Learn more about the Virtual Spine Race below.
MONTANE Virtaul Spine Race

CivviWalker

War Hero
From the National Trails site:

"Pennine Way inaccessible through Forestry England land in Northumberland. Storm Arwen has caused devastation to a large number of coniferous forests in the north of England. Two particular sections of the Pennine Way, which pass through forests owned and managed by Forestry England, are currently closed to the public. The sheer number of fallen trees has made these sections totally impassable. Alongside the fallen trees, there are many other trees which have been weakened by the storms, and these could fall at any time. The scale of the damage is only just becoming clear, as Forestry England and their partners carry out further investigatory work.

This is a statement from Forestry England:

“Our teams are working hard to reopen trails and facilities as soon as it is safe to do so, in some areas this may take some time.

Wherever you are, be aware that there may be weakened and damaged trees making them unsafe. Please take extra care and avoid walking under any leaning trees or hanging branches.”

The sections closed are:

Hadrian’s Wall through to Horneystead, and

Gibshiel through to Chew Green

Currently no diversion in place".

I suppose they could terminate the main race at Greenhead and scrap the new 160 miler.Not a very good solution but its better than nothing.

Well, the good news is that the race is going ahead.

I will be up at Snake Pass on 9th Jan to see the leading runners come through. I will be in my running kit and doing a few miles myself, but if you are up there @wheel we must meet up and say hello.

Then I will be travelling north to see the end of the race. My sister in law lives very close to the finish so we will be staying with her. Based on last year’s times, the winner did it in 83 hours and the fifth person home came in after 108 hours. So that is Wednesday at 19:00 to Thursday at 20:00.

Is anyone else planning on being at the finish when the winner comes in?

If I’m heading North is there any intermediate spot where it might be good to pause and catch some of the athletes passing?

Depending if/when I get a new contract I'm intending seeing some of the race on the Sunday. @schweik what time would you expect the first runners to hit SP?

My annual question, as I can never find it or it’s not live yet, where canI find the live tracking link so that I can deprive myself of sleep.

Also what are the weather and ground conditions like on the route, anyone got any local knosledge?

Latest Threads