Spine Race 2020

Are you thinking of Padon Hill, just before the forests South of Byrness?
I have described in a post on another thread how I have crossed that area and the ground underfoot has had the consistency of custard and porage mixed together and actually built up on the soles of my boots to increase my height ... it can be dire .

Last edited:

an!

Old-Salt
It seems to be slipping away as he is now three hours behind schedule.Last day and if he wants to beat the record he has got to average 3.7mph without stops which is going to involve a lot of running on his tired legs.
This morning it did seem to be slipping away (usually with this sort of thing once someone gets significantly behind schedule it then spirals out of control). But he seems to be holding the gap to his 2d 12h schedule roughly constant at 3 hours. Given his past experience, I think he's got a chance of pulling if off. Whatever, it's an extremely impressive attempt, and also emphasises how phenomenal the current record is.

Last edited:

CivviWalker

Old-Salt
This morning it did seem to be slipping away (usually with this sort of thing once someone gets significantly behind schedule it than spirals out of control). But he seems to be holding the gap to his 2d 12h schedule roughly constant at 3 hours. Given his past experience, I think he's got a chance of pulling if off. Whatever it's an extremely impressive attempt, and also emphasises how phenomenal the current record is.

According to his support crew he had stomach trouble at Middleton and that was why he rested.He improved slightly by Dufton and managed eat a little and now seems to have recovered quite well and is clawing back time.Provided he dosen't suffer injury I am quite sure he will pull it off.

Mike Hartley was a very talented runner and made it look so easy. It was quite common to see him in LDWA events in the late eighties.

Are you thinking of Padon Hill, just before the forests South of Byrness?
don't think so, this one was a bog in a forest. I remember a video snip-it from Jan of someone putting a camera right on John Kelly's heels as he went up the hill and thought it a little intrusive

don't think so, this one was a bog in a forest. I remember a video snip-it from Jan of someone putting a camera right on John Kelly's heels as he went up the hill and thought it a little intrusive
Was that not the climb out of Byrness to gain the initial height on the final leg .

Was that not the climb out of Byrness to gain the initial height on the final leg .
That's the badger
Episode 5 3min 20sec on the MSR FB video

Last edited:
He’s on the move up Byrness Hill. I can’t see him cracking this in the time necessary, but he isn’t half giving it a good go.

Good speed up there, i was breathing out of my arse last time I did it.
The sort of climb I used to call a " Lung Burster " .... although short very steep and a harsh introduction to the final ~25 Miles .

It is becoming every bit as absorbing as the Spine Race, even though there’s only one of him! I can’t see me getting off to sleep tonight till I’ve watched his blob all the way home.

He might be feeling the pain but it looks a lovely night to be out on the Cheviots ... light trailing wind , fairly clear skies and temperature just right for walking / running and it will be light until late and after that not really black dark .

CivviWalker

Old-Salt
He's got to do the detour to the Cheviot so that will add a bit of time. I wonder if he will take the high level route at the finish? I think this was made the offical route in the early nineties.

Absolutely superb record breaking / creating performance .

Last edited: