Spine Race 2020

CivviWalker

Old-Salt
Got a feeling he will be starting between 0800 and 1000 tomorrow as he said he wanted finish in the middle of the night as he didn't want diseased fan boys hugging him at the finish.It would allow for a 0100 to 0300 finish on Tuesday.

wheel

LE
Got a feeling he will be starting between 0800 and 1000 tomorrow as he said he wanted finish in the middle of the night as he didn't want diseased fan boys hugging him at the finish.It would allow for a 0100 to 0300 finish on Tuesday.
A two hour target window over the length of the Pennines , now you are speculating .

Ahh I had him down for finishing on 4th, not starting. No update from the trackers that I can see?

CivviWalker

Old-Salt
Ahh I had him down for finishing on 4th, not starting. No update from the trackers that I can see?
According to his twitter feed he has held off starting due to the weather but once it improves he will start.It makes sense as Dave Stevens,a former Para,was defeated by weather two years ago when he was ahead of his 2 days 12 hour schedule at the halfway point.Even then he pushed on to 160 miles but decided to abandon due to hypothermia.he said he is going to have another go this year so it should be interesting to see how things work out.

I'm not on Twitter so any news as yet? Cheers

CivviWalker

Old-Salt
He has finally started and is now on Kinder.His splits are for a 2 day 12 hour schedule or five hours inside the current record.

Last edited:
He has finally started and is now on Kinder.His splits are for a 2 day 12 hour schedule or five hours inside the current record.

Thanks for that ... and a Bump ... I know what I shall be doing for the next two and a bit days ....the Met Office forecast for the UK over the next few days looks favourable which may be why he started this morning ... bonne chance John Kelly .

He’s on Great Shunner Fell now (08.48 Tuesday morning). He seems to be absolutely smashing it.
I had also just seen that he certainly seems to be motoring ... and still within his first 24 hours .

CivviWalker

Old-Salt
He’s on Great Shunner Fell now (08.48 Tuesday morning). He seems to be absolutely smashing it.
His pace is similar to that of Brian Harney in 1979 when he failed to beat three days by 40 mins.Brian covered the first 113 miles in 24 hours.If John can cover another 100 miles in the next 24 hours he just might break the record but its going to be tight.You can read about Brian's run in this file,page 128 onwards.

https://www.dpfr.org.uk/uploads/pages/files/80/10_years-all.pdf

an!

Old-Salt
Tracker appears to have been stationary in Middleton-in-Teesdale for the last hour. Which now puts him behind his splits. I think I read somewhere (his instagram??) that the splits are based on even paced ~2.5 day finish.

Tracker stopped successfully sending signals at Cauldron Snout area .... not unexpected ... always seems to be a problem there.... now working again and he is but a couple of km from Dufton ... then the major climb over Cross Fell ... with the possibility of rain .

Last edited:

CivviWalker

Old-Salt
It seems to be slipping away as he is now three hours behind schedule.Last day and if he wants to beat the record he has got to average 3.7mph without stops which is going to involve a lot of running on his tired legs.

After this next checkpoint, doesn't he have that climb from hell that was almost a vertical bog earlier this year?