Spine Race 2020

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks everyone, will pass on your appreciation to Lisa. She is a truly amazing person as well as being a phenomenal runner. Incidentally she used to hold the Guinness World Record for fastest marathon as a playing card!
She was Ace then.

I'll get me coat

Sir Arthur

War Hero
You know you are getting old when you break a tooth on shortbread! Excellent write-up and I didn't want it to end.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nowt to do with the Spine Race but on the subject of Ultra Marathons......

Me and the missus watched a documentary about Fiona Oakes doing the Marathon des Sables last night.

Impressive. This woman should be a national celeb but is virtually unheard of outside of running circles. Holds the world record for both elapsed and aggregate time for doing 7 marathons on 7 continents. Course record holder for various marathons including the North Pole Marathon.

And all of that with only one knee.

The MdS looks honking. 250kms in 6 days across the Sahara Desert. Very different beast to the Spine with more of an actual course to run as opposed to the self nav and solitary nature of the Spine. Camping in the desert, self supported, eating rat packs for a week.

The quality of the cinematography from the drone shots really adds to the sense of scale that the Spiners face.

Me and the missus watched a documentary about Fiona Oakes doing the Marathon des Sables last night.

Impressive. This woman should be a national celeb but is virtually unheard of outside of running circles. Holds the world record for both elapsed and aggregate time for doing 7 marathons on 7 continents. Course record holder for various marathons including the North Pole Marathon.

The MdS looks honking. 250kms in 6 days across the Sahara Desert. Very different beast to the Spine with more of an actual course to run as opposed to the self nav and solitary nature of the Spine. Camping in the desert, self supported, eating rat packs for a week.
My mate completed the MdS three years ago. The training he did was all consuming and bloody expensive.

Arkanstigger

War Hero
Eoin Keith`s blog for the race

Eoin`s Blog
Cracking read. This bit is quite cleverly written:

“Crossing the top of an open hill here we caught sight of a runner ahead. He was running forward, then looking back at us, then running forward again in a repeating pattern. We were finally catching the German runner... To my initial surprise, it turned out to be Eugeni, and not the German runner. He was lost. This was less surprising. His GPS was not working properly, apparently. So Eugeni followed along behind us.”

I get the feeling Eoin wasn't too chuffed as the race progressed:

“Finding the trail in here in the dark takes good trail hunting instincts, even with the GPS. About 5 minutes in I felt a presence behind me, and soon enough Eugeni was running right behind me. Since he had only recently overtaken me, and shown he was the faster runner, I slowed, waved him through, and told him to go ahead. Sure that was only polite

As he went ahead I was keeping a very close eye on him to see how mentally alert he was. It looked to me like he was having trouble reading his GPS at race speed, and was taking a lot longer than he should to figure things out. When he was running along he was making occasional stumbles that looked more like fatigue stumbles than anything else. I guessed that he was hoping to have a mental break through this section by just following my lead. But I wasn’t going to let that happen. He also asked me how long it was to the next CP. I just told him it was a very long way (we were less than half way there since CP4).

We headed down a short steep downhill section through a wooded area. He was having trouble and stumbling. Reaching the bottom he stopped to figure out where to head next. I stayed about 20 meters behind and waited. I could see a footbridge ahead which was the obvious track, but I wasn’t going to lead. After about a minute he figured it out and headed on. I turned my head torch off and let him head off into the distance. I was happy to let him off to work to find his own way, even though it was slowing me down to stay behind.

After a minute or two I turned my head torch on and headed on up the track. About 5 minutes later I was back about 50 meters behind Eugeni again. He was again struggling to work out the route. I stopped and turned my head torch off again, and waited for him to work his way forward.”

Last edited:
My mate completed the MdS three years ago. The training he did was all consuming and bloody expensive.
I've several friends who have done it. You definitely need money and crazy training. A couple were firemen so trained in heat chambers. Another trained in some desert in the States. British weather is not ideal for MdeS prep!

craven50

Old-Salt

I haven't a clue. Only been a mere hillwalker! But you never know in the future it could be THE sport and make a fortune ;)

craven50

Old-Salt
Cracking read. This bit is quite cleverly written:

“Crossing the top of an open hill here we caught sight of a runner ahead. He was running forward, then looking back at us, then running forward again in a repeating pattern. We were finally catching the German runner... To my initial surprise, it turned out to be Eugeni, and not the German runner. He was lost. This was less surprising. His GPS was not working properly, apparently. So Eugeni followed along behind us.”

I get the feeling Eoin wasn't too chuffed as the race progressed:

“Finding the trail in here in the dark takes good trail hunting instincts, even with the GPS. About 5 minutes in I felt a presence behind me, and soon enough Eugeni was running right behind me. Since he had only recently overtaken me, and shown he was the faster runner, I slowed, waved him through, and told him to go ahead. Sure that was only polite

As he went ahead I was keeping a very close eye on him to see how mentally alert he was. It looked to me like he was having trouble reading his GPS at race speed, and was taking a lot longer than he should to figure things out. When he was running along he was making occasional stumbles that looked more like fatigue stumbles than anything else. I guessed that he was hoping to have a mental break through this section by just following my lead. But I wasn’t going to let that happen. He also asked me how long it was to the next CP. I just told him it was a very long way (we were less than half way there since CP4).

We headed down a short steep downhill section through a wooded area. He was having trouble and stumbling. Reaching the bottom he stopped to figure out where to head next. I stayed about 20 meters behind and waited. I could see a footbridge ahead which was the obvious track, but I wasn’t going to lead. After about a minute he figured it out and headed on. I turned my head torch off and let him head off into the distance. I was happy to let him off to work to find his own way, even though it was slowing me down to stay behind.

After a minute or two I turned my head torch on and headed on up the track. About 5 minutes later I was back about 50 meters behind Eugeni again. He was again struggling to work out the route. I stopped and turned my head torch off again, and waited for him to work his way forward.”
Eugeni again! Give me strength. If you're so good do it yourself Back to barracks for me.

PFGEN

GCM
Eugeni again! Give me strength. If you're so good do it yourself Back to barracks for me.
I don't think any of us doubt Eugeni's capability as a superb athlete. I couldn't do what he has shown us over the years. Most of us were referring to the comments Eoin made in his excellent write up on the race rather than any assumptions we might have ourselves.

craven50

Old-Salt
I don't think any of us doubt Eugeni's capability as a superb athlete. I couldn't do what he has shown us over the years. Most of us were referring to the comments Eoin made in his excellent write up on the race rather than any assumptions we might have ourselves.
OK. Me being a bit miffed At least the guy tries and has been a consistent competitor over the years! Will the best continue supporting the race or say dun it got the tee shirt?

I've several friends who have done it. You definitely need money and crazy training. A couple were firemen so trained in heat chambers. Another trained in some desert in the States. British weather is not ideal for MdeS prep!
My mate did a fair bit of time in a heat chamber on a treadmill with a core temperature probe inserted. I'll let you work out where but I bet it affected his running gait! :)

Last edited:

wheel

LE
Yup, its about the athletes complete ability in strength, stamina , mental fortitude, and navigational skills. There is at least one of them that Eugeni is not so good at. It has cost him over the years. I think Eoin was very subtle in his comments on the use of a camper van as this would be classed as having support. Now I wonder if Eugine had finished in front of Eoin would a complaint have been lodged ?.

Spine 2021 entries opened at 12:00 today 02/02/2020

All most sold out now with just a few places left

Challenger over 50% sold with over 75% for the MRT challenger

High on the hill

Looks like winter 2021 is all sold out

On facebook one of the Race Directors announced that he wishes to bail out in the next 6 months, as there are 2 directors that own the race (business) the future is hard to predict

John Kelly race blog with Spine report

High on the hill

This made me chuckle.

"I hurriedly packed and dressed, grabbed a few more handfuls of food, and headed out the door, more in flight from Eugeni than in pursuit of Eoin. "

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
I recently did the Half MDS in Peru last december - fcuked at the end of it and could imagine another 3 days of it. The Eca Desert is bleak - they could have filmed the moon landings there!

Looks like winter 2021 is all sold out

On facebook one of the Race Directors announced that he wishes to bail out in the next 6 months, as there are 2 directors that own the race (business) the future is hard to predict

John Kelly race blog with Spine report

High on the hill
Thanks for the linky to the blog ..... another fascinating read and how Jon Kelly overcame all the difficulties thrown at him to win . Interesting how he reported his GPS only updated every minute and his confirmation of the associated navigational risks .

Latest Threads