Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Spine Race 2019

Training is the key.I have been doing my eye exercises for six hours a day in preparation for this gruelling winter challenge in a centrally heated home.;)

Plenty of new faces so it should be an interesting race.
Don't forget to prep your kit too.

I have a new notepad, pencil and sharpener for split time comparisons; have checked the sofa cushions for wear and tear and made appropriate substitutions; sorted the maps; sorted the comfy kit. All that remains is a resupply of whisky, Pot Noodles and clementines (for making moveable orange blobs).

frog.jpg

Training is the key.I have been doing my eye exercises for six hours a day in preparation for this gruelling winter challenge in a centrally heated home.;)

Plenty of new faces so it should be an interesting race.

.... and I shall during the race further develop my skills , in an evening , of pouring real glasses of Shiraz .... and you are correct it will be good to see new faces

I was hoping to see some of the action 'live' as the race falls in my 2 weeks off. Unfortunately it clashes with the LHCOs birthday so I'm not allowed. As a present I've booked us a nice weekend away in a cottage in the Dales that may or may not be very close to the Pennine Way....

Thanks for the heads up @wheel. I have given Mrs Schweik an advanced warning order that I may well be driving up to the Peak District on 13th Jan.

Oh that would be nice she says, a nice day out in the Peak District.
No, says I. I’m aiming to leave home at 05.30 to arrive Edale at 07.30 to watch the start of the Spine Race.
I might come anyway, she says. We could have a nice lunch.
Breakfast more like!
Not sure she has quite twigged the timings!

Thanks for the heads up @wheel. I have given Mrs Schweik an advanced warning order that I may well be driving up to the Peak District on 13th Jan.

No, says I. I’m aiming to leave home at 05.30 to arrive Edale at 07.30 to watch the start of the Spine Race.
Breakfast more like!
Nice one I will be somewhere around Kinder Scout and Bleaklow. If you want a great breakfast I strongly recommend Yondermans Cafe worth the 20 min drive from Edale.
YONDERMANN CAFE - PEAK DISTRICT - WARDLOW MIRES - DERBYSHIRE- HOME

Breakfast more like!

I can only comment on the Challenger start & the Summer start - nothing much really just 100 participants jostling along from the playing field next to the car park and up the road towards the Nags Head

A better viewpoint would be on the A57 at Snake Pass - a see the spread out racers speeding along or otherwise.

High on the Hill

I can only comment on the Challenger start & the Summer start - nothing much really just 100 participants jostling along from the playing field next to the car park and up the road towards the Nags Head

A better viewpoint would be on the A57 at Snake Pass - a see the spread out racers speeding along or otherwise.

High on the Hill
If anyone does not like wandering to far from their car for a view of the race I would agree with you on that one.

Can anyone help me with a general time bracket when the leaders will be likely to be crossing Snake Pass (weather dependant etc etc)?

If the race starts at 0800hrs the leaders should be near snake pass by 1000hrs.

I think that may be a bit earlier for the front runners still on last years live tracker

Torside is the first timing point

Pavel into Torside (2 hours 46 min)

Others 3/4/5 hours

So I would think 9:30 ish may be better

High on the Hill