Spine Race 2019

You would not want to hang around up there tonight.
I am currently following Alan Purdue 199 who is there at the moment ... agree it must be bleak .

Wasn't it just! At least I hope it was for them. I have a days catching up to do with posts and vids, and I downloaded Woman's Hour to listen to "our Jasmin".

For those of you that have been out on the course as spectators, I am interested to know a few things.

Are there many spectators other than friends and family of the competitors?
Do the spectators tend to gather at CP and/or flit from vantage point to vantage point?
Are there a lot of spectators? From the vids and posts here it looks like you can mingle pretty close to them at CPs.
Is it an easy place/course to spectate on? For example, is it easy to drive around from CP to CP and park? Just interested in what the logistics are like because I guess there may also be members of the general public out walking too.
Is it easy to find accommodation during the spine race for spectators or is it all pretty much taken over by Montane, friends/family, etc.?
Any other things you have noticed about spectating that might be of interest to us that are 100s of miles away?

Ta.

There still seems to be a lot of runners out on the course. Am I right in thinking that some will not make the cut off?

A couple of them are pushing it a bit.Satoshi Funakoshi should make it if he gets a move on but Glyn Thomas'stracker shows him sleeping at Lough Shaw.Must be knackered as its pretty grim place to have a rest,especially in this weather.

A couple of them are pushing it a bit.Satoshi Funakoshi should make it if he gets a move on but Glyn Thomas'stracker shows him sleeping at Lough Shaw.Must be knackered as its pretty grim place to have a rest,especially in this weather.
Yes, he's been there a while now, I hope all is OK.

Wasn't it just! At least I hope it was for them. I have a days catching up to do with posts and vids, and I downloaded Woman's Hour to listen to "our Jasmin".

For those of you that have been out on the course as spectators, I am interested to know a few things.

Are there many spectators other than friends and family of the competitors?
Do the spectators tend to gather at CP and/or flit from vantage point to vantage point?
Are there a lot of spectators? From the vids and posts here it looks like you can mingle pretty close to them at CPs.
Is it an easy place/course to spectate on? For example, is it easy to drive around from CP to CP and park? Just interested in what the logistics are like because I guess there may also be members of the general public out walking too.
Is it easy to find accommodation during the spine race for spectators or is it all pretty much taken over by Montane, friends/family, etc.?
Any other things you have noticed about spectating that might be of interest to us that are 100s of miles away?

Ta.
I will offer my observations.
1) Not many spectators at most of the locations I visited, the few were mainly friends and family.
2) Yes mainly also at easy access points where the route crosses roads.
3) As per question 1 and yes you can get close to the CP s as they are public buildings ( community halls etc)
4) As the route crosses public roads there are many places that you can easily spectate. Yes it is easy to drive from one location to another, i am old school map man not a satnav fan and I manage ok. Not many people walking the route in winter.
5) Accommodation is easy to find as most of the route passes through national parks that rely on tourist trade, they are glad of this out of season bonus..
6) The competitors really do appreciate support and will always thank you and have a quick chat. (But do not slow down the serious athletes at the front of the pack). They especially enjoy it if you go out of your way to support them in remote areas. The regular competitors have started to recognise me from previous years which is very nice, wish I had more time to do it as I hold all of them in great admiration. It really is great fun making the effort to get out there and enjoy the event you get a real feeling for the common bond that holds the event together. There are also volunteers out at most road crossings. With water , some are doctors ,first aiders ,competent walkers and previous competitors all helping to keep the event safe and make it a success.
Hope this helps.

Time-wise everyone apart from Satoshi Funakoshi is fine. Barring last min collapse (e.g. Eugeni this year, Jens Wackerhagen (last year?) and Dave Dixon in 2014) or a huge change in weather conditions they'll make it.

Satoshi is going to have to push to make Byrness in time. He's had to sleep outside after the cut-off at CP5 and CP4 already, which rarely ends well . The one exception I can think of is Sharon Sullivan and a bloke last year. They were extremely unlucky to end up in that situation (they were at CP3 when the race, but not the clock was stopped) and I was surprised and impressed that they made it to the finish.

Time-wise everyone apart from Satoshi Funakoshi is fine. Barring last min collapse (e.g. Eugeni this year, Jens Wackerhagen (last year?) and Dave Dixon in 2014) or a huge change in weather conditions they'll make it.

Satoshi is going to have to push to make Byrness in time. He's had to sleep outside after the cut-off at CP5 and CP4 already, which rarely ends well . The one exception I can think of is Sharon Sullivan and a bloke last year. They were extremely unlucky to end up in that situation (they were at CP3 when the race, but not the clock was stopped) and I was surprised and impressed that they made it to the finish.
What is cut off time for Byrness