Spine Race 2018

Yet again it coincides with my birthday hangover. There is something utterly miserable about having a birthday in the middle of January and I welcome other peoples suffering for my entertainment.

wheel

LE
Yet again it coincides with my birthday hangover. There is something utterly miserable about having a birthday in the middle of January and I welcome other peoples suffering for my entertainment.
I will do my best to get out and about to cheer the competitors on. They all have my respect. Having banged out the section between Hawes and Alston in September I can understand why they all slow down between Maize Beck and Cross Fell. It is hard boggy going in dry summer months I would not like to attempt in in January. Especially if there is snow on the ground covering pit bogs.

Last edited:
Funny this should pop up today, I'm currently tracking a girlfriend doing the Breacon Beacons Ultra.

Any arrsers doing The Spine this year? Just checked the rosters and some friends in for both races. Had a chuckle at Wild and Winterbottom in for the Challenger, rather appropriate!

wheel

LE
Funny this should pop up today, I'm currently tracking a girlfriend doing the Breacon Beacons Ultra.

Any arrsers doing The Spine this year? Just checked the rosters and some friends in for both races. Had a chuckle at Wild and Winterbottom in for the Challenger, rather appropriate!
Any chance that you could post rosters please, I am not on faceache and the main site does not appear to have them on yet.

Noticed that. Arrse favourites Pav, Eoin and @sapold are back again. Quite a few furriners, including Malaysia and Indonesia. Hope they've been training in the cold somewhere.

Pav is doing a goat in the Cheviot's this weekend. Live coverage here.
It was his birthday yesterday. Hope he's keeping the celebrations for post race!

Edited to add in true Pavel style he didn't ... this is from his FB page:

"Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I had a great celebration - Gogol Bordello concert. Got hit, lost a shoe. Punk at its best. When the concert was over, found the shoe again, put my mandibula back to its place and now flying to a race in the UK. "This is my life and freedom's my profession" as Gogol Bordello were singing."

wheel

LE
@jellyvodka thanks for this, just got back from the very wet and miserable Peak District. Pav is about 2 k behind the leader Andy Berry who is around 7k from the finish with Jim Mann hot on his heels.

"

Pavel Paloncy
11 mins ·
Cheviot Mountain Goat finished. Winter 53miler over The Cheviots, took more than 11 hours. Much harder and much more snow than expected. Blazing trail at times. Really happy with my 3rd place. Now is time for recovery.

Robme

LE
Where's Bwyan?
Started yesterday, so as to build up a healthy lead.
This means that Pav will catch him before Bwyan gets to hut 1.
Incidentally I heard on the grapevine that after complaints about feeding live wolves to pav en route, they are going to use gerbils instead. Not got the same ring about it, but the Wittle fookers can’t half run fast.

Thank you, its note able that Eugeni Rosello and Tom Hollins are not on the the rosta.

101 TOM HOLLINS MONTANE® Spine® Race
102 CAROL MORGAN MONTANE® Spine® Race
103 EOIN KEITH MONTANE® Spine® Race
104 PAVEL PALONCY MONTANE® Spine® Race
105 EUGENI ROSELLÓ SOLÉ MONTANE® Spine® Race

They have been given race numbers

Sir Arthur

War Hero
I guess there is cat and mouse in the entry process too! Does anyone know if they will be covering it like they did last year with videos? Last year trallrunning UK did it with Clare Maxted hosting (who is no longer the editor there) and I wondered if something similar would happen. Especially as they will have had time to hone their drone flying skills!

Latest Threads