Spikes life

BBC page

I'm sure Spike will be spinning in his grave!

Shirtlifter playing finest Goon......a sad day. :(

Yep, I cannot believe that Barrymore has been chosen to play Spike. I am truly shocked and angered. I am sure I have seen dramas, where respected artists have been sensitively played by actors, and enjoyed them. I have ALWAYS considered Barrymore a cnut, even when others found him amusing. But for him to portay the great Spike Milligan must be the most horrendous piece of casting ever. And it appears that the writer of the play has good credentials. :roll: My ghast is flabbered. And I'm very upset.

"Puckoon" was a great read and also his book "Hitler my part in his downfall".

Sad to see Barrymore in that role. I hope there is no after show parties near water or a swimming pool.

The fact is that Spike was a very good soldier, just look behind the humour. Barrymore doesn't compete

My favourite of Spikes books was The Looney. I first read it whilst in school, and then many times since I left. It was the only book I've ever come across that could raise a smile regardless of my mood, regardless of the fact I knew what was coming next. Spike Milligan was an extremely funny gent, so I am baffled and dissapointd as to how one of the least funny people on TV could have gotten this role.

jarrod248 said:
Reading the link he was given the job by a long time friend who will no doubt regret it when it's a flop.
Bill Kenwright used to be in Coronation Street.

A number of years ago I was dealing with a road traffic accident in Hadley Wood in North London.
02.30 in the morning, Spike (who lived round the corner) appears in his dressing gown carrying a tray with a pot of tea and some Mr Kipling cakes.

30 seconds later, police, paramedic, injured party and driver of 2nd car on the floor laughing as he went into a silly voice routine trying to heal the injured fella.

Top, top bloke.

Poor casting indeed and cynical too. Milligan brought us Gunner "Plunger" Bailey, IIRC and Barrymore brought us a rather more unpleasant plunge party

Like Bovvy,I have always found Barrimore a total cnut. When he had his own "show" his methods were to get cheap laughs from a bird brained audience by ribbing,piss taking and generally making fools at their efforts.
This style he thought was funny. What a f***ing total idiot.

If any ARRSE members liked Burymore,s style, before the fag in the pool incident, I suggest you look inward at your tastes.

Spike,the god of humour never had to stoop so low. Lets hope his family object to the choice.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
bovvy said:
It says, here, in the Daily Mail, that the cnut was chosen for the role by Bill Kenwright, who is producing the play:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=508612&in_page_id=1773

Bill Kenwright's name is familiar, but I don't recall his works. Now for another Google search .........
kenwright was an actor in Coronation Street, who left to work in theatre. Now one of the biggest impressarios in the business. Highly succesful, but full of his own importance. I once interviewed him, in about 1973. Big headed cnut, arrogant and rude.

Barrymore cannot hold a candle to Milligan. Spike was a tortured comic genius, Barrymore a talentless tosser. The only thing they have in common is that they have bot had mental health problems. Milligans caused by stress, combat, and failing health. Barrymore's caused by needing an excuse for his behaviour.

Milligan was also more to the Right than anyone that I've ever read a post from on Arrse. Some people who had dealings with him found him to be a truly nasty piece of work.

I loved Milligan's work and still do. 'Q' can still leave me breathless n the floor from laughter and I've lost count of the nmber of times I've watched it.

By contrast, the only time Barrymore ever made me laugh was when he pleaded 'not guilty'. What a travesty.

old_fat_and_hairy said:
bovvy said:
It says, here, in the Daily Mail, that the cnut was chosen for the role by Bill Kenwright, who is producing the play:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=508612&in_page_id=1773

Bill Kenwright's name is familiar, but I don't recall his works. Now for another Google search .........
kenwright was an actor in Coronation Street, who left to work in theatre. Now one of the biggest impressarios in the business. Highly succesful, but full of his own importance. I once interviewed him, in about 1973. Big headed cnut, arrogant and rude.

Barrymore cannot hold a candle to Milligan. Spike was a tortured comic genius, Barrymore a talentless tosser. The only thing they have in common is that they have bot had mental health problems. Milligans caused by stress, combat, and failing health. Barrymore's caused by needing an excuse for his behaviour.
Who would be the right actor to play Spike then?

He was played by Jim Dale in "Adolf Hitler - My Part in His Downfall" (1972) - Spike played his own father in the same film - and by Edward Tudor-Pole in the Life and Death of Peter Sellers (2004)

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
big_mad_ejit said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
bovvy said:

Who would be the right actor to play Spike then?

He was played by Jim Dale in "Adolf Hitler - My Part in His Downfall" (1972) - Spike played his own father in the same film - and by Edward Tudor-Pole in the Life and Death of Peter Sellers (2004)
Very difficult to cast anyone in this role, he was quite unique. His looks are hard to replicate, as are his mannerisms. He is being 'read' by Paul merton on radio, and he does a good job, but is not skeletal enough. I would like to suggest Lee Evans, but since he looks like Norman Wisdom it would be hard. Perhaps Michael Shen, who played Blair so wonderfully in 'The Queen'? He has a similar build.
Barrymore, apart from my personal dislike, has not the charisma nor the style to play Milligan.