spics invade falklands islands via google earth

having a quick look at the uks 2nd least favorite postings loads of argies seem to be renaming bits of the falklands maybe its time to tell them where to get off :twisted:

Bits

War Hero
Done. Message sent to Google Earth:

Looking at the Falkland Islands (51 S 59 W), a British Dependent Territory for which we fought a war against the invading Argentinians in 1982, you appear to have incorrectly ascribed Spanish place names to many of the key geographical features. The names should be rendered in English, and many British servicemen - and personal friends of men still serving - have died to ensure it stays that way. As a serving member of the British Armed Forces, I would ask that you correct these basic errors in what is otherwise a truly extraordinary educational resource.
Yep, I get really **** about this sort of thing.

Bits, let us know if you get a reply and/or if they make the amendments. If they don't I think we should start a mass email campaign to get them to sort it out. I hope our ARRSE friendly septic cousins could be relied on to canvass support amongst their real life colleagues. As well as servicemen and women from other nations forces worldwide.

I remember emailing Realplayer as they had the Falklands listed as Malvinas in their registration pages (which you had to do for the thing to work), never got a reply.

Bits

War Hero
Will do, abacus, if nothing heard within two weeks. Amendment roll-outs for software like this will take a very long time though, and would likely be incorporated into planned upgrades for the imagery of that part of the world.

"Just been googling round the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.

It appears a lot of the place names are incorrect. Someone appears to have applied Spanish derivitive names to many of the locations.

The islands have not been a Spanish/Argentinian protectorate since the early 1800's (barring an illegal occupation for a couple of months back in the early eighties). I would therefore appreciate it if the names could be amended to the correct English names."

Message sent.

...aren't quite a lot of Falklands place names Spanish anyway? Like, ahem, San Carlos? Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist.

He's right you know. Multimap reveals:

Dos Lomas
Ceritos
Cantera de Arena
Mid Rancho

and Chatres (which sounds decidedly French), the bast**ds.

Reminds me of a lovely tune by the Mc Lads - Buenos Aires!! (And of course Buenos Aires 1990 the Gulf War version).

With their bayonettes and tommy guns,
and bellies full of Boddingtons!! .........

Half way through my look Google Earth chaged the names to English & a bit later back to Spic - maybe they're trying to please everyone here but they'll end up pleasing nobody!

Bits said:
Done. Message sent to Google Earth:

Looking at the Falkland Islands (51 S 59 W), a British Dependent Territory for which we fought a war against the invading Argentinians in 1982, you appear to have incorrectly ascribed Spanish place names to many of the key geographical features. The names should be rendered in English, and many British servicemen - and personal friends of men still serving - have died to ensure it stays that way. As a serving member of the British Armed Forces, I would ask that you correct these basic errors in what is otherwise a truly extraordinary educational resource.
Yep, I get really **** about this sort of thing.
The Spanish names shown whenv you view The Falkland Islands via Google Earth have been submitted by a user and are not part of the Google Earth package. If you de-select "Keyhole Community BBS" and "User Supllied Collections" in the lower of the three windows on the LHS of Google Earth, the Spic names vanish.

Clearly this is the work of some sad Argie who still has delusions of imperial splendour at the Argie Empire of 74 days length!

Of course - you could use the same system and re-name parts of Argentina! :twisted:

cpunk

LE
Plastic Squaddie said:
Of course - you could use the same system and re-name parts of Argentina! :twisted:
Good thinking, I'm up for re-naming Buenos Aires as 'Nice Breezes' or whatever it means...

'NicolasTronauta' is the helpful chap who has been busy changing history. Funny old thing he is from LaPlata, Argentina.

Don't let a little history get in the way of a good fantasy eh?